Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Compensation Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2010, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by eyeguyNOLA
My brother was booked last night ATL-DXB-BLR-VGA.
DL 8, boarded on time, and then was found to have a "circuit problem"
After attempting repairs for 3 hours, all passengers were off-loaded and provided
hotels for the night, with the announcement that the flight would leave this morning
at 10am as DL 9869.

The result is a 24+ hour delay in arriving at the destination, comprised of a 12 hr delay in ATL and a 14 hour delay in Dubai.

So far, DL provided meal vouchers and one night in ATL airport hotel. This am, they provided him $100 e-credit "for the inconvenience."

I couldn't find any compensation rules or guidelines for international flights outside the EU flights. If I read correctly, delays >12 hours are now due 150% of the purchase price for EU flights?

Is Delta supposed to provide a hotel room and meals in Dubai as his original connection was 3 hrs and his new connection will be 14 hours?
He plans to send DL customer care an email after arriving in DXB. I know that international flights are held to different standards than domestic flights, but $100 e-credit seems awfully low.

FWIW, he is a Silver Elite (I know that puts him in the lowest signifiance in DL eyes.)

Cancellations due to mechanical are due $600 or $800 for domestic flights, right?
What is a realistic expectation here? Thanks.
Where do you find this? $600 or $800? EU rules obviously do not apply unless ATL has suddenly joined the EU
$100 is a bit on the low end for a 12 hr delay and I am sure he can get more if he starts to point out that he arrived >24 hours later at his final destination. Yes, DL is required to pay hotel etc. in DXB as well, provided the entire itinerary is on one ticket.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:47 am

Programs: DL Platinum & MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by eyeguyNOLA

...I couldn't find any compensation rules or guidelines for international flights outside the EU flights....
That's because there are none for US-based carriers. The EU rules apply to all flights originating in the EU (including US-based carriers' flights) and EU carriers, regardless of where the flight originates.

Sounds like Delta followed the 3 hour tarmac rule, and otherwise your brother is at their mercy for compensation. It might be worthwhile checking out the contract of carriage to see if any other compensation is due, but I wouldn't be surprised if only hotels and meals are guaranteed by the contract.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Loran
Sounds like Delta followed the 3 hour tarmac rule, and otherwise your brother is at their mercy for compensation.
I don't think this case falls under the 3 hour tarmac rule as presumably they were at a gate while repair attempts were made.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 7:48 pm

eyeguyNOLA as others have pointed out the EU rules do not apply to this case.

The only thing that would be covered is what is in the CoC (contract of carriage)...

If the trip was on ONE ticket, that there is a good chance that Delta would pay for a hotel/meals at DXB.

As for any other compensation, I agree that $100 sounds low, but your brother is most likely at the mercy of Delta.

I would strongly suggest your brother talk to the Delta personal BEFORE leaving to see if they will agree to hotel/meal in DXB. They can't issue it from the U.S. but they can put in a note in his record so what when he arrives at DXB it shouldn't be a problem. He should also check before leaving WHO at DXB he should talk to....will there be Delta representatives at DXB, etc?
Old Sep 26, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Is the flight after Dubai on the same ticket? If so I would make a strong claim for a hotel room there.

Do not confuse IDB rules (which means you had a ticket but got kicked off because the flight was overbooked) with cancellation and delay rules. The numbers like 600-800 are for IDBs only.

Regardless of the hotel issue, he will get some miles and maybe credits if you send in an email explaining what happened..
Old Sep 26, 2010, 8:11 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I would send an Email to DL but don't expect too much. I was delayed last week by 2 hours with Frontier/Midwest (also mechanical) and they volunteered $100 vouchers to everyone as they stepped off the plane at the destination. Much more customer-friendly apparently.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 6:54 am

Programs: AF, UA, BA/IB, VS, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Compensation for Delayed/Overbooked Flight and Re-routing

My flight earlier this week was overbooked by 6 and they were looking for volunteers.

get to counter and they say check in bags and go to gate.

after i check in i look and it says delayed for an hour and i was going to miss my connection, both facts the agent failed to communicate to me.

i get to the gate and they tell me that they can't find alternate flights. i pull out kvs flyer and i find them for the agent. (i still can't believe this...)

since my bags are checked, they don't confirm me on a UA/CO flight for 4 hours. i request vdb compensation and agent says that since she has rebook tons of people due to the delay that is no longer being offered.

i wrote delta telling them about this and how i wanted the $400 delta dollar compensation that i was entitled to for 'volunteering.' they gave me 7500 sky pesos.

i feel that is not enough. thoughts?

Last edited by andrew10412; Nov 11, 2010 at 7:35 am
Old Nov 11, 2010, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I personally think you're crazy for trying to get VDB compensation. You weren't VDB'd. You were affected by a delay that would cause a misconnect.

Remember, just because you were going to volunteer for VDB doesn't mean you were going to get it even if the flight went out on time. You could have been #10 on the volunteer list or the GA may not have needed anyone because of misconnects.

-RM
Old Nov 11, 2010, 7:45 am

Programs: DL Plat AA Gold Airtran Elite HH Diamond Marriott Plat *Wood Plat
agreed. it's not VDB until the plane departs full without you on it. then you get your voucher. i've volunteered and ended up not getting anything because a no show meant they didn't need me. boarded at the last possible second and went on my way.

congrats on the free 7500 skypesos.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: AF, UA, BA/IB, VS, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
understood about the vdb.

what about compensation for their poor planning? delay was bc skywest didn't have crew. not acceptable especially at a station (DEN) where they have a sizeable operation.

what about the fact that their agents weren't able to find flights? they didn't notify me at check in? they delayed my arrival for 4 hours, etc?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
You probably ended up with more than you should have gotten.

I was on a flight JFK-LAS back in Sept. Orig scheduled for 9:00pm or so departure. Every 30 minutes the flight was pushed back another 30 minutes until they started boarding us at 11:00pm. They told us it would still be a bit so they put the movie on for us (WHILE ON THE GROUND WAITING FOR A CREW !!!). Well, no captain and about midnight they take us off and delay it another hour til 1:00am. At 1:00am they delayed until 2:00am. At 2:00am delayed until 2:30am. They finally cancelled at 2:30am. Didn't get re-booked until around 3:00am, for a flight out at 7:00am. Being JFK (and what was now a monday morning), it didn't make sense to even try to get to a hotel, so we stayed at the airport.

I ended up getting 10,000 miles for that one.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 2:20 pm

I had a flight LGA-CVG about 5-6 months back that we sat 3 hours on the runway...we were then told to unboard the flight, circle back around and reboard so that they would not recieve a fine. We then sat another 2 hours before we took off. We recieved no compensation for this but it's been bothering me ever since..
Old Dec 15, 2010, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL Plat,, HH Gold
Compensation for cancellation then delay?

Early flight from PNS through MEM and on into COU on 12/15 was canceled so I was rebooked on a later flight which was then delayed from MEM into COU for an hour.
This was not weather related, so what do the gurus think is fair compensation?
Thanks
Phil
Old Dec 15, 2010, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA, HH Silver, Priority Gold
Given that DL held the RON CRJ in PNS and cancelled your flight - this was probably part of their weather advisory and will tell you were delayed due to weather. Same probably applies MEM-COU. Your rebooked COU shows on DL.com as arriving 35 min late.

Theoretically, I do not believe you are entitled to compensation because you were canceled due to weather and you were accommodated on the next available flight. However, a polite CSR may give you some miles for your inconvenience even though you are not entitled to compensation.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:24 am

Delta's attempt to lower the appropriate compensation

After requesting compensation pursuant to the link, Delta sent an email for a $250.00 travel voucher, rather than the required €600 for flights cancelled as per European Union rules.

Shame on Delta for this attempt...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.