Delta Compensation Definitive Thread

Old Apr 23, 10, 4:59 pm

Programs: AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+), BA Silver
Originally Posted by DLrunner View Post
Got a reimbursement for my taxi charges, above the TCV. I consider that fair compensation. Thanks for all your help.
Just FYI in case sometimes this happens to you in the EU:
  • in the event of long delays (two hours or more, depending on the distance of the flight), passengers must in every case be offered free meals and refreshments plus two free telephone calls, telex or fax messages, or e-mails;
  • if the time of departure is deferred until the next day, passengers must also be offered hotel accommodation and transport between the airport and the place of accommodation;
  • when the delay is five hours or longer, passengers may opt for reimbursement of the full cost of the ticket together with, when relevant, a return flight to the first point of departure.

In general, if you choose to divert to an alternate airport, you will need to contract in advance with the carrier a reimbursement of the taxi charge or similar costs.
Old Apr 23, 10, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, PC Plat, HH Dia
Not to change the subject, but I recently flew with a companion on an ECV/Award combo and the incoming A/C from my origin was delayed due to maintenance which caused me to miss my last outbound connecting flight to LAS. On a short weekend trip this posed a big issue with us. DL offered a UA flight through ORD () which would have got me in that night atleast. That flight was ultimately cancelled when I was in ORD and was rebooked in the AM. The UA line was a mile long so I called the Elite line in which they offered to put me in any hotel in the Chicago area (including downtown). Given the early AM departure, and unwillingness to jeopardize any compensation, I took the UA hotel option.

I was offered $100 ECV for each of us due to the DL delay. I expressed politely in my letter that although the UA portion of the reroute was out of their control, ultimately they were at fault for me not getting to LAS that night. I guess I expected to see a little better comp on the delay given my travel history. I flew 100k+ last year domestically, with many flights being on higher coach fares (typ book inside 7 days ). I wrote back that I was disappointed with the compensation that was given and have not heard back. Am I out of line on this??

As for the UA portion, I was offered another $100 ECV which on UA, it pretty much useless. I wouldn't give them a dime of my money unless I can get routed through DEN.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 23, 10, 6:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, UA Premier Platinum
I realized when I read the laws that I am not legally due anything. However DL has been my preferred airline ever since I first flew them 13 years ago when I moved to the US. Over the years, I have taken connections, done mileage runs (hence the handle) etc. all to earn miles on DL. I also use them for Business travel. So overall they have gotten a lot of revenue from me.

I felt that I did not get even basic customer service due to a medallion passenger and hence was wanting to file a complaint till it was resolved to my satisfaction.

And before anyone gets high and mighty on me, all I asked was for a refund of my taxi charges: Not 10K miles or the refund of my entire ticket.

And yes, they had a contract to take me from A to B, not to C, even if C was only 30 miles away.
Old Apr 24, 10, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, SPG
The $100 the OP says he was given does seem low for delays from DL's mechanical problems.
Old May 27, 10, 11:05 am

Programs: Delta - Silver
Compensation?

So I was the lucky recipient of a mechanical failure on Tuesday morning on my way to ATL and onward to IND. The flight was at first delayed for an hour, but then the mechanic came back and said no go and we were delayed until 10pm CST, meaning it was a worthless flight. I ended up not making it to ATL and in speaking with the SMS the agent (without my confirmation) booked me on a United flight through Chicago arriving at 11:30pm EST in IND. This did not work for me. I eventually got moved onto an American flight through our corporate travel agency arriving at 6:40pm, which seated me in row 32 on a Super-80; at 6'8, that was an awful experience that I wish to never have to endure again.

When we were first delayed there were plenty of options to ATL on later Delta flights, but when the flight was 'canceled' all of those were eaten up extremely quickly. I figured having some status would get me priority in a very non-elite heavy airport.

What is Delta's policy for not providing service and having no options available until the next day?
Old Jun 1, 10, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is my story:

Checked in for DL 5934 (MDW-LGA) on May 31 @ 11.00 AM. Flight was supposed to leave at 1 PM. However, due to rain flight was diverted to IND.
Several hours later, we boarded the plan around 4 PM. Pushed off gate and waited to be cleared for take-off.
Unfortunately, LGA was shut-down and plane could not leave. Back to gate. Deplaned. Waited again for several hours until 6 PM. Board plane and left for LGA around 6.40 PM.
Unfortunately, the late arrival at LGA made me miss the last LGA-BOS shuttle so I had to overnight at LGA. The marina terminal looked dicey to me so I decided to book an airport hotel. $200 a pop.
Baggage claim agent said DL was not required to arrange anything, because of the "Act of God". No arguing of course. Finally, made my way home this morning on the first shuttle out of LGA.

Can I ask DL for any "compensation"? Bunch of miles perhaps?
Old Jun 4, 10, 7:11 am

compensation for an over 6h delay

Any law regulating a compensation I am eligible for? Delta flight from NYC to Madrid, delayed for more than 6h due to delayed equipment supply and later by replacement of the faulty part in the airplane. .
Old Jun 4, 10, 10:20 am

A packet of biscoffs and a few drinks.
Old Jun 4, 10, 10:29 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by azzuri View Post
Any law regulating a compensation I am eligible for? Delta flight from NYC to Madrid, delayed for more than 6h due to delayed equipment supply and later by replacement of the faulty part in the airplane. .
The US DOT does not mandate any compensation for delays. Since this was a flight to Europe, is is possible that EU compensation rules might apply
Old Jun 4, 10, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by djk7 View Post
The US DOT does not mandate any compensation for delays. Since this was a flight to Europe, is is possible that EU compensation rules might apply
Nope. The EU compensation rules only apply to European airlines for US-EU flights. They do, however, apply to US airlines when departing from the EU.

My guess is that you might get some miles thrown your way if you complain, but I would think that would be about it.
Old Jun 4, 10, 10:55 am
mdb

Originally Posted by pbarnette View Post
Nope. The EU compensation rules only apply to European airlines for US-EU flights. They do, however, apply to US airlines when departing from the EU.

My guess is that you might get some miles thrown your way if you complain, but I would think that would be about it.
Are you sure? - I was pretty sure they apply in either direction.
Old Jun 4, 10, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by mdb View Post
Are you sure? - I was pretty sure they apply in either direction.
Pretty sure. Feel free to correct me if I am misreading the reg, but here is the relevant legalese from the reg:

(6) The protection accorded to passengers departing from an airport located in a Member State should be extended to those leaving an airport located in a third country for one situated in a Member State, when a Community carrier operates the flight.
And the definition of Community carrier is:

(c) "Community carrier" means an air carrier with a valid operating licence granted by a Member State in accordance with the provisions of Council Regulation (EEC) No 2407/92 of 23 July 1992 on licensing of air carriers(5);
This says to me that only EU carriers are subject to the reg when departing a non-EU country.
Old Jun 4, 10, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.53MM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
If you contact Delta and complain, they likely will toss some miles or Delta dollars your way.

David
Old Jun 4, 10, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Ah-ha! I'm waiting for that A/C for my DL 127 MAD-JFK flight tomorrow. Right now it has estimated 11:30AM departure. Guess I can get a bit more sleep in before trudging off to the airport. Keep 1C and 1D clean for us, eh?
Old Sep 26, 10, 9:04 am

Programs: Delta (Platinum)
DL 8 delayed 12 hrs last night mech -- $100 compensation

My brother was booked last night ATL-DXB-BLR-VGA.
DL 8, boarded on time, and then was found to have a "circuit problem"
After attempting repairs for 3 hours, all passengers were off-loaded and provided
hotels for the night, with the announcement that the flight would leave this morning
at 10am as DL 9869.

The result is a 24+ hour delay in arriving at the destination, comprised of a 12 hr delay in ATL and a 14 hour delay in Dubai.

So far, DL provided meal vouchers and one night in ATL airport hotel. This am, they provided him $100 e-credit "for the inconvenience."

I couldn't find any compensation rules or guidelines for international flights outside the EU flights. If I read correctly, delays >12 hours are now due 150% of the purchase price for EU flights?

Is Delta supposed to provide a hotel room and meals in Dubai as his original connection was 3 hrs and his new connection will be 14 hours?
He plans to send DL customer care an email after arriving in DXB. I know that international flights are held to different standards than domestic flights, but $100 e-credit seems awfully low.

FWIW, he is a Silver Elite (I know that puts him in the lowest signifiance in DL eyes.)

Cancellations due to mechanical are due $600 or $800 for domestic flights, right?
What is a realistic expectation here? Thanks.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: