Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Compensation Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL DM
Route: YVR-MSP-ATL and driving to CLT
Fare: RU

What Happened:Bags delayed from MSP to ATL. Called the Diamond line that put me in touch with Diamond baggage services who said they would have it on the next flight to CLT. They missed putting the bags on 3 flights to CLT. I ended up missing all my meetings, and spent the night without my bag. When bag finally got to CLT, they wouldn't release it to me because they had mistakenly put someone else's bag tag on my suitcase. After back and forth they did finally give it to me.

Compensation: TBD. Thoughts?
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Route: CLE - MSP
Fare: Award ticket + Y ticket
Status Platinum
Issue: This was during the IT meltdown, first got re-routed through ATL, then stuck overnight without hotel in ATL.
Comp: $200 voucher * 2 for me +20K miles, $200 voucher for my wife (no status)

Route: ATL - GRU
Fare: D1
Issue: 16 hour delay due to mechanical, stuck overnight with no hotel in ATL
Comp: Initially offered 9K miles, complained and received 20K miles + $200 voucher, but had to argue for it.

Route: GRU - ATL (the return, a week after the above)
Fare: D1
Issue: delay due to mechanical (24hrs), then additional delay due to weather(another 24 hours), hotel at the airport in GRU. I re-booked after the first delay so was only 24 hrs late.
Comp: 20K miles showed up in my account, together with an e-mil apology.

I don't understand whether there is any kind of logic behind he compensation scheme, it seems rather random.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Originally Posted by utpharmdoc
How long do compensation miles requested by FAs from their PDAs for on-board issues take to post to Skymiles accounts? Service issue occurred on August 28 for 5K miles and a separate issue on August 29 for 15k miles.
Mine have usually posted within a few days, maybe a week tops.

I had one for 5K miles a few months ago. At the two week mark (I think), I called Delta (don't remember if it was the platinum line or the complaints line), asking when I should expect them, and the agent posted 5K miles immediately.

I did not receive a second 5K miles thereafter. Not sure if that means the original miles would never have posted without the call and the phone agent simply gave me 5K miles using discretionary authority, or if there is a separate database for in-flight things that give rise to miles, and the phone agent could see it there and that the miles hadn't posted to my account and made them post.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 12:20 am

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Route: GEG-SEA-YVR
Fare: First
What Happened: I was the only person in the SP Check-in lane, but there was no Agent there, the only one there was assisting the none SP lane and continued assisting two other passengers ahead of me. It wasn't very 'Priority' that day.
Compensation: 4000 Miles. Received personalized email after missed call.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 4:43 am

Appropriate Compensation for Equipment Failure Delay

Hello All,

I'm a relatively inexperienced flyer, and need help in claiming an appropriate level of compensation for a delay caused by faulty landing gear.

Earlier in the week, I took an 830am AA flight from LAS->MIA. Shortly after departure, the plane had to return to LAS due to landing gear failure. Gate agent soon announced that a replacement plane would be required but that it would not arrive at LAS until 6pm. I was fortunate enough to anticipate the extended delay and booked an alternate flight with different airline (530pm departure) before announcement was made.

As I had successfully booked an alternate flight, I did not wait thru the extended line at the gate to speak to agent about refund and/or compensation.

I have initiated a refund requested via the AA website but wanted to make sure I understood my entitlements in this type of situation.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 4:47 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hbl3
Any advice would be much appreciated.
This might be best addressed in the AA forum as what Delta offers for a similar delay may not be the same nor will the process be the same.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:55 am

On 11/6 DL167 from NRT to SIN had an issue with a cockpit window not closing properly. We sat on the plane for about an hour before we were asked to deplane while they tried to fix the issue. They said they ordered a part, and it would take about 2 hours to fix. We waited, and it was delayed multiple times before they finally cancelled the flight. We were all put up in rooms, and i was rebooked on a Singapore Airlines flight the next day, arriving 17 hours after the original arrival time. I received this email the next day:

I understand Flight 167 to Singapore was delayed overnight due to a mechanical issue with the aircraft. When something isn’t working exactly the way it should be, we have to take a second look. Your safety is always our top priority. I’m really sorry for any disruption to your travel plans due to the overnight delay of our flight.

この度は、SIN 行き、 DL167 便の機材整備による遅延により翌日のご出発となりましたことお詫び申し上げます。機材に異常が確認された際 、お客様の安全が最優先事項でございますので再点検を必要とします。お客様のご旅行計画に混乱を招くことに なり誠に申し訳ございません。

You’re Important to Us
As a goodwill gesture, I’ve deposited 9,000 bonus miles into your account. Please allow three business days for the mileage to be posted.

大切なお客様へ
この度ご迷惑をお掛けしましたお詫びと致しまして、スカイマイル口座に9,000 スカイマイルボーナスマイルを加算させて頂きました。約3日程で反映されますのでお手数ではございますが、 後日ご確認下さいますようお願い申し上げます。

Thanks for Flying Delta
We look forward to seeing you on another Delta flight.
I'm not one to ask for compensation too much, maybe twice in 700k miles on DL, but the fact that we were kept at the airport for roughly 7 hours before the flight was finally cancelled, and I arrived at my destination 17 hours late, isnt 9k miles on the (very) light side? Should I call and ask for more when im back stateside?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Y or J? Status?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Diamond, MAR&HLT Gold, Wyndham Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle
I was on LAS-JFK on a 738 diverted to PIT then flew to JFK. Main Cabin. Complained to corporate. Comp 20k miles + $200.

SAN-JFK last week in F on an award ticket, 3 hour ground delay due to ATC congestion. Comp $200 on PM Line.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by bsagator
On 11/6 DL167 from NRT to SIN had an issue with a cockpit window not closing properly. We sat on the plane for about an hour before we were asked to deplane while they tried to fix the issue. They said they ordered a part, and it would take about 2 hours to fix. We waited, and it was delayed multiple times before they finally cancelled the flight. We were all put up in rooms, and i was rebooked on a Singapore Airlines flight the next day, arriving 17 hours after the original arrival time. I received this email the next day:

I'm not one to ask for compensation too much, maybe twice in 700k miles on DL, but the fact that we were kept at the airport for roughly 7 hours before the flight was finally cancelled, and I arrived at my destination 17 hours late, isnt 9k miles on the (very) light side? Should I call and ask for more when im back stateside?
You should complain via their online form. 20K miles and $200 voucher is the minimum you should get for an international overnight delay.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Y or J? Status?
Y, PM.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Fare class of that segment?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA PLAT (2.8MM), DL Diamond, UA*S, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTE, Hilton DIAMOND, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by utpharmdoc
How long do compensation miles requested by FAs from their PDAs for on-board issues take to post to Skymiles accounts? Service issue occurred on August 28 for 5K miles and a separate issue on August 29 for 15k miles.
As a follow up, each took exactly 30 calendar days along with an email sent the day before posting.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Route: BOS-AMS-NCE
Fare: Economy (L)

One hour mechanical delay out of Boston, missed my connection to Nice. Re-booked for the next flight, five hours later than originally scheduled.

Wrote in complaining that I was disappointed that I never got any type of apology, not even a generic form letter.

Compensation: 20k miles
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:14 am

Route: YVR-SEA-BOS
Fare: First
What Happened: FC seats for both of my parents on both flights failed to recline. I had hoped that they could have some quality sleep on the flights, as they were busy and had no sleep the night before the early morning departure. FC was full on both segments. I sent a complaint on behalf of them.

Compensation: 7,500 miles for each of my parents.
This offer looks quite cheap to me in comparison to my UA experience. I plan to write to DL for a more appropriate compensation, and insight of FTers is greatly appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.