Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Compensation Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2004, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I'd be incredibly insulted by $25 as well!

We just arrived yesterday in SYD on a First class UA ticket, on a flight that was delayed by over 12 hours leaving on a mechanical, and would NOT allow us to have access to suitcases for a change of clothing etc.

I'll be angling for a $600-$800 voucher each, especially as they have lost 2 of our 3 checked bags as well. It seems DL plays harder ball, but $500 seems like absolute minimum that would be fair. I am ASSUMING this is a DL caused delay .. not weather?

If bocastephen or anyone else can email me with where I might find a copy of UA Rule 240 info I'd greatly appreciate it.

------------------
~ Glen ~ sipping bubbly from a UA 747-400 exit row 15 near you SOON!
Old Jan 11, 2004, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:

If bocastephen or anyone else can email me with where I might find a copy of UA Rule 240 info I'd greatly appreciate it.
</font>
YGM
Old Jan 11, 2004, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
Considering that CRJs are built by Bombardier in Montreal - probably the best manufacturer of cold weather equipment out there, I highly doubt the credibility of that report.

</font>
On a Comair flight last winter DTW-CVG they had a problem closing the door. The pilot remarked that it only happened in cold weather. I assume that this plane was a Bombardier.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 9:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Skymiles
I have gotten a 50$ voucher and a 1000 SkyMiles from Delta after they misplaced my bag in SFO. But that was only after a lot of yelling and screaming on the phone.

The only thing I got at the airport was an overnight kit (with the shampoo , skin care lotion and a few other things missing) ..
Old Jan 11, 2004, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
I won't say my situation was similar (bumped off a flight by a Skyteam partner at a connecting point as a PM--messed up my business trip completely) but the lesson I learned is that there are CS reps and there are CS reps. You have to go up the chain to talk to a truly empowered CS rep. Call the Medallion CS line and ask to talk to a lead rep in Dallas. I was jerked around with insulting voucher offers ($125) when admittance of error and a really sincere apology would have done it for me. Eventually I got satisfaction (someone who admitted that they were completely in the wrong + a complementary intern'l upgrade) but it took finding someone who isn't reading off a script.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 11:13 pm

Location: Atlanta, GA - AirTran Elite #1 FF * Delta Diamond Medallion * Starwood Platinum * PriorityClub Gold * Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bocastephen:
what was the reason for your delay? Did you ask the agent or supervisor at the airport?</font>
No delay . . . just two bags lost for 48 hours. Luckily ATL is home. They sent messages to ATL and HNL. Our bages were delivered two days later. We had just taken a Hawaii cruise -- would have been horrible if they had been lost on the front end.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 5:01 am

The delay was not weather, it was Delta, and I as I related in my original post, the flight turned out to only be delayed 7 minutes and we could have made our connection if they had put us on it. The Delta counter at DCA was emphatic that the flight was delayed 30 minutes and we could not make up the connection.

As far as rule 240, that is part of the long story. I invoked it and reminded them that they had to put us on another airline regardless of service class. It was like pulling teeth, with me suggesting routes and them checking one by one, until they finally said tuesday on Delta is the earliest.

I still think $200 is too small, and at this point I don't plan on flying Delta enough to worry about nasty remarks in my record. I too am thinking $500-$800 is reasonable.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 7:11 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
How much were you out of pocket as a result of this delay?

Could you have enjoyed yourself in the place where you were stranded? (Still ask for reimbursement of expenses)

Alternatively could you have stood by for an earlier flight?

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm
Old Jul 3, 2005, 10:36 am

Should I seek compensation on a delayed award ticket? (LONG)

So as some of you know, I was supposed to fly ROA - CVG - FCO - IST this afternoon. This is an award ticket in the F cabin. Well, Delta canceled the ROA - CVG leg so that certainly isn't happening today.

What's disturbing is, Delta did not give me a call about this. I got all my stuff ready and was about to go to bed, when another FT member who was trying to help with my questions told me that my flight was canceled. So I looked up online and there it was, canceled.

So I called Delta, was on hold for 1.5 hours from 12:30 AM to 2:00 AM (Eastern) and finally got to talk to somebody. She told me the cancelation was weather related. So I asked her "when was Delta planning on informing me on this?" and she told me they were going to give me a call in the morning. Ridiculous So I was a little pissed but I knew there was nothing this lady could do and it wasn't her fault, so I kept my cool.

So I asked her whats going to happen now and she told me I was rebooked to July 4th: ROA - ATL - JFK - IST with ATL to JFK in coach. Now, normally I wouldn't care about such thing till after my trip (I'd write a letter to Delta) but I have a cat that will be traveling with me, so I tried a few pressuring techniques so that they give me a all the way (except ROA - ? leg) first/business trip. So around 3:00AM, she informed me that she managed to get me and my cat on a ROA - CVG - JFK - IST flight on July 4th.

Now, I hate traveling on holidays. Check-in lines, security lines, boarding gates are all gonna be crowded. Planes will be full, etc. Oh well, there's nothing I can do, I don't wanna be another day late.

Anyways, what now sucks is that I had bought a ticket from Istanbul to another Turkish city (Adana) from Turkish Airlines and now that's 40 Euros to change the date on that ticket. I really would rather get Delta to pay for this, so I am guessing asking about this specific compensation post-trip is more appropriate?

And as you can see from the photo above, do you think there's any chance to get Delta to waive the excess fee for one of my extra 2 luggage as they have messed up my whole schedule?

What other forms of compensation should I seek?

Thank you!

Basar
Old Jul 3, 2005, 11:12 am

Programs: DL GM/2.7MM, Marriott Lifetime PL, SPG Lifetime PL,Hilton Gold, Natl Lifetime Exec Elite
Originally Posted by xiety
And as you can see from the photo above, do you think there's any chance to get Delta to waive the excess fee for one of my extra 2 luggage as they have messed up my whole schedule?
What other forms of compensation should I seek?

Thank you!

Basar
If by they you mean mother nature then by all means put a claim in to her. However if you meant Delta then by the facts you presented I'm not sure why they owe you anything due to a weather related cancelation. You can however ask, they may surprise you but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old Jul 3, 2005, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by MM/PM widget
If by they you mean mother nature then by all means put a claim in to her. However if you meant Delta then by the facts you presented I'm not sure why they owe you anything due to a weather related cancelation. You can however ask, they may surprise you but I wouldn't hold my breath.
They said weather-related but I have no idea how. Just checked the weather report and it says "Slight Chance of Showers - Hi: 65F"
Old Jun 29, 2006, 7:39 pm

Compensation For Delayed Flight

I just flew Delta Tuesday of this week a.m., and was delayed on the plane for 2 1/2 hrs, they claimed it was due to a closed down runway, (i think they had to re-route some planes, they said due to weather northwest????)
Anyway, does anyone know if there is any compensation for this inconvenience? The flight was from NY to CLT. Then, when we got to CLT, there was another 1/2 delay on the runway, getting to the gates.
Any suggestions on what i should do??
Thanks
Old Jun 29, 2006, 10:50 pm

This is not on the list of things they compensate for. Most likely it had nothing to do with the airline anyway.

There are many cases where the airlines screw up royally and customers are left holding the bag. Those are the objectionable ones.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 3:09 am

If it was a weather or an ATC delay, you won't get any compensation. From you described, it's definitely one of those. Sorry for the bad news.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 6:42 am

Out of curiosity, why would you think you were due any compensation to begin with? DL fulfilled its contract to you by getting you from point A to point B. There are no guarentees of being on time...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.