Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Compensation Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 9:22 am

I had a flight JFK-CHS last week - originally delayed for about an hour at the gate.

Once boarded we taxiied at JFK for about an hour before returning to gate. Captain explained that a combination of weather and insufficient fuelling meant that we had to go to gate to refuel.

All in all, landed at CHS at 0230, rather an 2311. Delay of 3 hours and 19 minutes

I've been offered 5k Delta miles for the inconvenience and the fact that I had to pay 30USD for a taxi after my open ended delay meant my pre-arranged pickup wasn't able to pick me up...

Is this normal for DL? Will DL offer more if I push back? Can I ask for cash compensation instead?

Apologies for the questions, my first time dealing with DL customer services!
Old May 12, 2019, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Doubtful. Five thousand miles seems pretty generous to me. You should be able to claim the $30 on your travel insurance.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Doubtful. Five thousand miles seems pretty generous to me. You should be able to claim the $30 on your travel insurance.
Thanks - my insurance kicks in after 4 hours delay...
Old May 14, 2019, 8:24 pm

Route: JFK-CMH
Fare: ECONOMY
What Happened: On board WiFi didn’t work at all, not even the local network for the IFE.
Compensation: Complained through the online form and received a $25 gift card.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: Delta. AA, National EE, HH
Has anyone ever gotten complimentary skyclub access? Original plane sitting at gate at IND waiting on contracted mechanic to assess. 2 hours late.
Got moved through DTW but 4 hours layover. Would like to go into Skyclub.
Also arriving at destination 5.5 hours later. And downgraded from 753 to a 739. Boo....

What other compensation should I ask for?
Flying award J. All new flights still J.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Route: SAT-MSP
Fare: Economy, upgraded to 1st
What Happened: Requested child meal for my son travelling with me, it was not put on board.
Compensation: Since I had made the request through twitter, I simply wanted to let them know it didn't make it and said it wasn't a big deal. Offered 2,500 miles.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: Delta. AA, National EE, HH
Originally Posted by AZwldcats
Has anyone ever gotten complimentary skyclub access? Original plane sitting at gate at IND waiting on contracted mechanic to assess. 2 hours late.
Got moved through DTW but 4 hours layover. Would like to go into Skyclub.
Also arriving at destination 5.5 hours later. And downgraded from 753 to a 739. Boo....

What other compensation should I ask for?
Flying award J. All new flights still J.
Now A/C not working Ind-Dtw.
Yikes.
Old May 25, 2019, 6:43 am

I had to cancel a flight reservation within the initial 24 hour period. Delta One transcontinental seat. Instead of issuing the refund back to my card Delta issued a voucher which was obviously a mistake on their part. It took hours and hours (at least 6) on the phone with multiple reps to finally get Delta to acknowledge the error and issue the refund back to my card. Then the refund got screwed up again. I called in, spoke to one of the rudest reps I've ever spoken to at any company in my life. He told me that everything I was saying was wrong, that I didn't know what I was talking about. He did everything but literally call me a moron. When I asked to speak to a supervisor he told me he was the supervisor, there was no one above him, he was in charge of everyone and then disconnected the call.

I have never written to Delta to complain about an employee. In fact, I send them compliments about stand out employees all the time. However, this behavior was so egregious that I felt that I should say something. The convoluted voucher situation was Delta's error and I'm not going to literally be harassed by one of their employees while trying to get my money back.

I didn't ask for any compensation. I was just sending the recap as an FYI. They gave me 20,000 SkyMiles. I was kind of shocked that they gave me so much particularly because I wasn't asking for anything in return. And I finally did get the refund on my card, over a month after the ticket was originally voided.
levilevi likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Route: HNL-ATL
Fare: Main Cabin (K)

Issue: My seat was "broken" as stated by the FA after the person behind me complained that my recline was "too far" even though it had the same recline angle as my companions seat. The FA then stated that I couldn't recline my seat at all for the rest of the flight and didn't offer to move me or provide compensation. My companions IFE also barley worked as the volume was stuck in the max position and couldn't be changed as the touchscreen was unresponsive on the volume down button.
Compensation: Ended up calling customer care after the flight and the agent apologized for the experience and threw in 11,500 miles to both of our accounts.
Old May 30, 2019, 6:45 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I flew in DL-ONE JFK-ZRH on 5/24/19, scheduled dep. 8:29 pm. We began boarding queue at 7:40 pm, but per a GA we were missing a pilot, so new dep. was now 10:30 pm which got extended to 12:00 am and then 12:30 am. Per an initial "update" on PA a pilot was driving from Boston to JFK and was due between 11 and 11:30 pm [DL/AA were still running shuttles], a new announcement noted the replacement pilot was actually flying in from MSP and would arrive at 11:50 pm (they even gave the flight number)--we were airborne shortly after he boarded at 12:15 am.
I flew back from ZRH to JFK and noted my delay to a FA--it seems the original missing pilot had forgotten about his scheduled commitment and was on a vacation.
I sent an email to DL asking for "some" miles...I'll report back when I receive my reply.
Old May 31, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: golden pleb
Had 2 incidents in the past 2 weeks.
Both tickets were economy tickets with cleared upgrades to first on a CRJ900

#1 - 6.5 hr MX from the prior flight caused PIT - MSP to be delayed by 6.5 hr, and WiFi did not work during the ~2 hr flight. Wrote in and received an email that I'd get 20,000 Skypesos.

#2 - 45 min MX from the prior flight caused MSP - STL to be delayed by 45 min on a ~1 hr flight - preemptively received an offer for $100 voucher from the Twitter team, which I accepted.

Wildly inconsistent in terms of the $ / pts per unit time of delay for the same fare class, same upgrade level, and plane type. IMO the $100 voucher is probably more than I'd expect, while the 20,000 Skypesos are IMO low.

Debating on if I should escalate the 6.5 hr delay or not.
Old May 31, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by silverbullet75
Had 2 incidents in the past 2 weeks.
Both tickets were economy tickets with cleared upgrades to first on a CRJ900

#1 - 6.5 hr MX from the prior flight caused PIT - MSP to be delayed by 6.5 hr, and WiFi did not work during the ~2 hr flight. Wrote in and received an email that I'd get 20,000 Skypesos.

#2 - 45 min MX from the prior flight caused MSP - STL to be delayed by 45 min on a ~1 hr flight - preemptively received an offer for $100 voucher from the Twitter team, which I accepted.

Wildly inconsistent in terms of the $ / pts per unit time of delay for the same fare class, same upgrade level, and plane type. IMO the $100 voucher is probably more than I'd expect, while the 20,000 Skypesos are IMO low.

Debating on if I should escalate the 6.5 hr delay or not.
Agree on the inconsistency. I think it largely depends on the person assigned to your case. I've had some generous and (more recently) not so generous compensation. Did you complain through Twitter on indecent #2 ?
Old May 31, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: golden pleb
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Agree on the inconsistency. I think it largely depends on the person assigned to your case. I've had some generous and (more recently) not so generous compensation. Did you complain through Twitter on indecent #2 ?
For #2 - I asked on Twitter for the cause of the delay. The response was that it was Mx and < 5 min later I received a message of 'We would like to offer $100 travel voucher to apologize' or something to that effect.

For #1 - I also reached out on Twitter on the cause of delay (was told at podium it was 'weather in NY' but looked on the radar and saw nothing so chose not to believe the woman at the podium) - however, on #1 the response was simply that it was Mx and I should have a nice day because even though it was delayed it was the fastest way to get to my destination.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:18 am

Hello,

Sat, 01JUN
DL 206 - JFK - SNN (22:45 - 10:10, June2nd)
cabin: Premium Select
no status

Flight departure delayed till 23:34 - then flight was redirected back to JFK 2 hours into flight (4 hour round trip) due to mechanical reasons.

New plane has scheduled departure of of 09:30 (June2) and estimated arrival in SNN of 20:28 (June2)

Please advise what you think compensation should be.

Thanks!

Last edited by jbminger; Jun 2, 2019 at 4:19 am Reason: clarification on why flight was redirected
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Depending on status between 10-25k miles or $100-$250 travel voucher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.