Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Compensation Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium
Route: SFO-CDG-XXX
Fare: Premium Economy
What Happened: Outbound Air France operational issues delayed our first flight for 2 hours, which would make us miss our 1hr 50min connection. Rerouted through AMS on KLM, which resulted in being downgraded to Y for the 10 hour TATL portion since KL doesn't have a premium economy cabin.
Compensation: 10,000 miles + some unknown forthcoming refund from AF for the downgrade. Seems pretty pitiful considering we lost 4 hours of our vacation and we had to sleep in Y seats.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
100.00 gift card for rancid Salmon in a kosher meal. The FA even gagged when she smelled it as she did not quite believe me. The app part of the meal was frozen.

I learned my lesson, never order a kosher meal. The only reason I ordered it was I am allergic to dairy and the dairy would be separated from the rest of the food. Part of the problem I believe was I flew out of ATL and the meal was all wrapped and had a company in NY sticker on it. So who know how old it was.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by lamprey
Route: SFO-CDG-XXX
Fare: Premium Economy
What Happened: Outbound Air France operational issues delayed our first flight for 2 hours, which would make us miss our 1hr 50min connection. Rerouted through AMS on KLM, which resulted in being downgraded to Y for the 10 hour TATL portion since KL doesn't have a premium economy cabin.
Compensation: 10,000 miles + some unknown forthcoming refund from AF for the downgrade. Seems pretty pitiful considering we lost 4 hours of our vacation and we had to sleep in Y seats.
You should also get EU 261 compensation of €600 each, given your flight was with AF.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: Delta DM 360, Marriott Ambassador
DEL-AMS on KLM. 3 hour delay due to incoming flight being late. Should I explore compensation? What are the options? Im on a DL ticket but KLM metal
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Pursue your request with KLM. Ticketing party/carrier doesn't matter.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by pokerloser949
DEL-AMS on KLM. 3 hour delay due to incoming flight being late. Should I explore compensation? What are the options? Im on a DL ticket but KLM metal
What was the cause for delay? If airspace issues (Pakistan), no compensation. If something else, you may be eligible for EU 261.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:12 am

Flew in Premium Select from LAX-PVG on an award ticket. I don't have any status with Delta and $0 spend on Delta flights. All my flights with Delta were award flights from the Amex Delta card sign-up bonuses. The power plug at my seat was broken. I submitted a complaint and got 5000 SkyMiles. On the way back, the chillers broke sometime after the snack service and the flight attendants were unable to serve the food for the arrival meal service. The flight attendants made an announcement that we would all receive some sort of compensation on arrival. Checked my email after landing in LAX and got an email from customer service apologizing for the lack of meal service and 10000 SkyMiles.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by sannmann

What was the cause for delay? If airspace issues (Pakistan), no compensation. If something else, you may be eligible for EU 261.
Yea was airspace delay. All good just wondered
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: DL
Anyone know what I should ask for, when my flight from SFO to JFK was diverted after taking off because of smoke in cabin? I was in Delta One (admittedly with a RUC) and had to take another route in domestic FC.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Route: DEN-ATL
Fare: Economy (RUC upgrade)
What Happened: First class somehow ended up oversold, so they downgraded me to economy. I suggested that I take a (slightly) later flight with a seat in FC, and they agreed.
Compensation: $200, and the RUC reopened. The flight is basically free now, and a RUC is worth a lot to me, so I consider this fair.
strickerj and dlflyer00 like this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond, Hilton HHonors Silver
Route: AUS-JFK
Fare: Main Cabin (L)
What Happened: Five hour, 18 minute delay at AUS due to aircraft mechanical (flight attendant call button continued to sound, wouldn't shut it off or pull the circuit breaker as that system apparently controls all pilot to crew communications, which I respect.) Deboarded at 3h00m per DOT regs. Promised small sandwiches to be provided by outstation catering, which never arrived. Flight eventually operated with a half load, as most passengers rebooked to alternate flights. Asked for 13,000 miles (at 2,500/hour) and a small eCredit fo cover food at final destination.
Compensation: 5,000 Miles, and slightly apologetic email.
Old May 1, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by sannmann

You should also get EU 261 compensation of €600 each, given your flight was with AF.
We only received €150 Delta voucher each (I think). Below is the borderline incomprehensible excerpt from the message I got from Delta, which handles AF claims for US residents (I bolded the most-confusing part):

Your travel falls under the guidelines of European Union Regulation (EC) 261/2004 defining an airline's requirements when flight changes occur. When a flight is canceled, passengers should be confirmed on the next available flight. Depending on the length of a passenger's delay, airlines are required to provide care and assistance.
Your flight was delay due to to technical reason and you were downgraded to economy. You also were re-protected on an earlier flight. There is maximum compensation of EUR 150 travel voucher applies and a refund of 75% on the segment downgraded.

Your claim has been processed and settled in the amount of 150 euro equivalent to $168.92 travel voucher per person. You can expect to receive your reimbursement check within the next 10 to 14 business days.
Should I be getting a 150 euro voucher and a refund check in a couple of weeks for the remainder?
Old May 2, 2019, 8:27 pm

Currently sitting on a plane at msp going to Sna with computer issues. We are now 2 hours late with another hour wait coming. They are saying if it doesn't fix it in next hour they will change our plane. Is there any compensation I should try for?
Old May 4, 2019, 6:06 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
I'm attempting to get to SEA (really PSC) for a wedding since yesterday. In the interim we've had two planes go mechanical, and a third with a 5+ hour delay. At this point, there's no sense in getting there at midnight only to turn around and fly back home a few hours later. I've already cancelled for a refund, would Delta make a goodwill gesture in a situation like this? Our return was unfortunately a separate ticket on AA, so I'm SOL there.

Edit: Looks like the DTW-SEA we would have been on if not for the last mechanical got diverted to MSN. Some force clearly did not want us to go.

Edit 2: Got a courtesy 7.5k skymiles without asking. Planning on escalating this week.

Last edited by Beltway2A; May 4, 2019 at 4:46 pm
Old May 7, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL SM, DL Amex Plat, Hilton Silver
Route: EDI-JFK
Fare: Delta One (Award Ticket)
What Happened: 2h50m departure delay, no gate info in app, and water dripping in all cabins during takeoff and landing
Compensation: I mentioned the frustration with the above to Delta, asked for nothing, and got 16k Skymiles. None of the issues were a big deal.

I was also referred do as both a Mr. and a Ms. in the email so I suppose they're not making gender assumptions which is... nice? lol

Last edited by griffy208; May 7, 2019 at 6:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.