Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Compensation Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
ROUTE LAX-MSP
Fare: Y
What Happened: Red Eye 12:30 AM to MSP delayed once due to crew. Delayed twice (2:30 AM now). Delayed a 3rd time until 9 AM. No hotel compensation. The whole plane slept on terminal 3 floor.

Compensation: 7500 Skymiles.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Chick FIl-A Red Member
Originally Posted by bretthexum
ROUTE LAX-MSP
Fare: Y
What Happened: Red Eye 12:30 AM to MSP delayed once due to crew. Delayed twice (2:30 AM now). Delayed a 3rd time until 9 AM. No hotel compensation. The whole plane slept on terminal 3 floor.

Compensation: 7500 Skymiles.
Wow. That's pretty low, all things considering. I've even seen the (@)Delta on twitter handing out $30-50 vouchers for minor delays. Their inconsistency intrigues me.

Last edited by av8rsamr; Dec 15, 2017 at 12:19 pm Reason: grammar
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by av8rsamr
Wow. That's pretty low, all things considering. I've even seen the (@)Delta on twitter handing out $30-50 vouchers for minor delays. Their inconsistency intrigues me.
Yes, very low. I responded saying politely that 7500 miles for 9 hours and no hotel is not enough. We will see...
Old Dec 21, 2017, 2:45 am

Programs: DL DM
Diverted Flight - Original Routing Credit?

Last week my husband, under my guidance, sent in a complaint email to DL regarding his recent trip from ANC-JAN. On the outbound he got caught up in the south's snowy mess and his ATL-JAN segment diverted to MEM. Long story short his brother had to drive 6 hours each way to pick him up. His return from JAN-ANC went smoothly.

When the segments posted, his flight from ATL-JAN posted as zero everything with the reason code "N." All other segments posted correctly. Just the diverted segment was awarded no credit.

Our email to DL was very polite, expressed our disappointment in the diversion but whilst at the same time understanding the unusual weather, applauded the crew for being very honest with the passengers, but mentioned that the segment in question did not receive any credit. Additionally, we mentioned a minor issue with the seatback entertainment on a specific aircraft.

DL attempted to contact him twice, but due to the time difference between GA and AK he missed the calls. He received a very polite and apologetic email, but no mention of compensation. More to the point, NO mention of original routing credit. They thanked him for his business, would forward his concerns to the appropriate departments, and looked forward to his next trip with DL in May.

I was honestly shocked that, at a minimum, there was no mention of Original Routing Credit. I think he is entitled to that (correct me if I'm wrong FT'ers). I've sent in comments and received large amounts of SkyMiles for far less inconveniences. In his 5 years of flying DL he's only sent in one complaint regarding a rude GA in ATL (received 5000 miles if I recall). Some goodwill miles would be nice, but all we really want is the ORC.

I replied tonight thanking the rep for replying to him and appreciated her forwarding the comments along. I then directly made the request for ORC. Didn't ask for anything more. I did mention that he looks forward to flying DL in the future, has a paid F ticket in May, and is currently planning international travel for fall 2018 that will boost him to medallion status. He currently has no status.

Comments anyone? Am I wrong to request ORC?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
I suppose it's time for a 2018 compensation thread.

When: Jan 2018
Route: SFO-JFK
Class: D1 (via RUC)
What happened: No ice cream. After the main course, I asked for ice cream for my dessert. A few minutes later, the FA apologized that none had been loaded. She offered to get me an ice cream sandwich; EC or EC+Y pax were getting them. I said thanks. A few minutes after that, she apologized again, as those also hadn't been boarded. Either on that second trip, or possibly on a subsequent trip, she asked for my FFN to provide compensation. I hadn't asked for anything or even expressed annoyance; I was getting ready to go to bed (red eye).
Compensation: 15,000 miles. This is an embarrassingly large amount for what happened. I would have been fine just grabbing some things from the EC snack basket and no miles. FYI, she had a hand-held device for crediting my account (I'm usually on regionals, which tend to use paper forms), and she said that "it determined" or "the system determined" the amount of miles. Not sure what she entered in terms of incident description. I would have expected anywhere from 2.5K to 7.5K based on history, as everything else about the D1 catering was fine.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum and Marriott Platinum Elite
My wife a FO flyimg in D1 JFK-LHR. IFE and USB port was not working. 7 hour flight with no way to charge her phone or watch a movie. She got back to the states and emailed customer service. They offered 10k miles. She replied thanks but they Delta can do better. Still waiting for a response.

Last edited by DeltaAddict; Jan 18, 2018 at 11:46 pm
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 2MM, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Route: JNB-AMS-DTW-LAX

All cleared via GUC.

AMS-DTW canceled due to mechanical after boarding and was rebooked C+ on flight 2:15 later.

Option was to take downgrade or fly in D1 the next day (they would provide hotel).

Delta offered $200 voucher for delay/AMS-DTW downgrade since I had already used the GUC on JNB-AMS route.

Sounds about right? At AMS, they were saying 450-500 Euro was standard but I guess Delta felt a lower amount as a GUC was used.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
I suppose it's time for a 2018 compensation thread.

When: Jan 2018
Route: SFO-JFK
Class: D1 (via RUC)
What happened: No ice cream. After the main course, I asked for ice cream for my dessert. A few minutes later, the FA apologized that none had been loaded. She offered to get me an ice cream sandwich; EC or EC+Y pax were getting them. I said thanks. A few minutes after that, she apologized again, as those also hadn't been boarded. Either on that second trip, or possibly on a subsequent trip, she asked for my FFN to provide compensation. I hadn't asked for anything or even expressed annoyance; I was getting ready to go to bed (red eye).
Compensation: 15,000 miles. This is an embarrassingly large amount for what happened. I would have been fine just grabbing some things from the EC snack basket and no miles. FYI, she had a hand-held device for crediting my account (I'm usually on regionals, which tend to use paper forms), and she said that "it determined" or "the system determined" the amount of miles. Not sure what she entered in terms of incident description. I would have expected anywhere from 2.5K to 7.5K based on history, as everything else about the D1 catering was fine.
How long did it take for the miles to post? My wife and I had a similar experience on January 27th when neither of our video players in FC were working properly on a 5 hour flight. We were advised that we each would receive 15,000 Skymiles points but they haven't posted yet.

Thanks
Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Originally Posted by merle123
How long did it take for the miles to post? My wife and I had a similar experience on January 27th when neither of our video players in FC were working properly on a 5 hour flight. We were advised that we each would receive 15,000 Skymiles points but they haven't posted yet.

Thanks
The event happened early Thu am, and I think the miles posted Saturday afternoon. Curiously, I also got an email from Delta, on Saturday, perhaps at the same time the miles posted. The email was the sort of email that I would have expected had the compensation been in the form of an ECV rather than miles. It had a long ticket number for the ECV, but instead of a dollar amount, it said 15,000 miles.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 3:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Date: January 29, 2018
Route: JFK-RDU
Class: Y (V Fare)
What Happened: I was #1 on the upgrade list. I got to the gate when they were boarding Zone 2. I asked the gate agent if First had boarded full and I was told it had. I got on board and found there were four empty seats so the agent either lied or was just wrong. At the end of boarding there was one empty seat in F. The gate agent told the FA to move the person in 14A to 4D. However, there was no one in 14A. The gate agent told the FA I was next on the upgrade list but by this time the GA was off the plane. The FAs refused to move me up to F and the seat went out empty.
Compensation: 7,500 Miles
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Mileage Lover
Route: JNB-AMS-DTW-LAX

All cleared via GUC.
AMS-DTW canceled due to mechanical after boarding and was rebooked C+ on flight 2:15 later.
Option was to take downgrade or fly in D1 the next day (they would provide hotel).
Delta offered $200 voucher for delay/AMS-DTW downgrade since I had already used the GUC on JNB-AMS route.
Sounds about right? At AMS, they were saying 450-500 Euro was standard but I guess Delta felt a lower amount as a GUC was used.
Sounds to me like you got lowballed... downgrade compensation is at least 200 no matter what, maybe more since it was international.
Doesn't matter that you were on a GUC or you used it on the first segment. You were confirmed in J, so you should be given comp for that segment also as the GUC was partially wasted.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: DL DM
I posted in this thread back in early December regarding an issue my husband had with an ATL-JAN flight that diverted to MEM during one of DL's winter weather meltdowns. My complaint to DL was in 2 separate forms. The first was for ORC for the ATL-JAN flight since it posted with ZERO miles. I finally gave up after several email exchanges with DL saying that they never give out ORC under any circumstances (majorly incorrect, but this was for a less than 500 mile flight and the Medallion miles wouldn't have pushed my husband to the next tier so I finally gave up). My second complaint was with the way DL handled the winter weather and how they handled our request for our rightfully deserved ORC. I received a reply stating they were sorry that they let us down and would deposit 5000 "goodwill" miles. We accepted that offer and just wrote the whole thing off. Until two days ago the miles had yet to be posted.

Neither of us bothered pursuing the 5000 miles because quite honestly we didn't want the hassle. We decided in the scheme of things it wasn't worth it... there might be something more worth pursuing in the future. Anyway, on Thursday, my husband received an email from DL greatly apologizing for the delay in posting the 5000 goodwill miles due to an overwhelmed skymiles customer service department. The miles should now be posted in his account.

He checks and they posted FIVE (yes, 5) bonus miles!! We both cracked up. Can't wait to see what those miles can do for us!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Date: Feb 19
Route: GOT-CDG-SEA-GEG
Class: Reward
What Happened: Baggage damaged during the last leg from SEA. When I picked it up in customs it was not broken but when it was delivered to my home the next day (It was also delayed) a wheel and part of the composite luggage had been torn off.
Compensation: $150 check for damages to baggage and a $300 Travel Voucher. Which was quite generous in my opinion, is that normal?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Delta Plat, AA Gold, Avis PresClub
ROUTE ATL-LHR
Fare: J
What Happened: Somehow they upgraded someone into my J class business seat during boarding. The guy refused to move without force. Delta was going to deplane and remove him and I volunteered to sit in economy for a $9k voucher. Full story here.
http://truptravels.com/2017/11/12/co...d-on-deltaone/
Compensation: $9k voucher. yes, $9,000.00.

Last edited by truptravels; Mar 11, 2018 at 7:01 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
[QUOTE=truptravels;29512512]ROUTE ATL-LHR
Fare: J
What Happened: Somehow they upgraded someone into my J class business seat during boarding. The guy refused to move without force. Delta was going to deplane and remove him and I volunteered to sit in economy for a $9k voucher. Full story.
http://truptravels.com/2017/11/12/co...d-on-deltaone/
Compensation: $9k voucher. yes, $9,000.00.[/QUOTE

Yowza!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.