Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Compensation Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2006, 7:41 am

Thanks all for the info. I appreciate the response
Old Aug 1, 2006, 1:55 pm

A Compensation Question

eAn acquaintance of mine has been going on a tirade for the past three days about how her parents' flight (ATL-HNL) was delayed overnight. All 200 pax were placed at a Motel 6 for the night (I'm assuming it was the only hotel that had space for that many people), and were rerouted with three layovers to get out to HNL in the morning. The parents were booked in first class, but apparently flew coach on the flights out to HNL.

She indicates that the ONLY compensation they were offered was 900 FF miles. As I am not a frequent Delta flier, I'd love to have input from those of you more familiar with the airline think that this story is likely being blown out of proportion (that's my guess - since she also said in the beginning that her parents were IRATE to the point where one of the gate agents said they were acting rude, and has since changed her story to say that she's SURE they were nice to everyone), or if this is standard compensation and I just haven't heard a horror story like it before.

Last edited by Canarsie; Aug 1, 2006 at 2:20 pm Reason: This milepost (and the following milepost) were merged into this thread unedited.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 2:19 pm

Programs: Skyteam
That was hard to read.... my guess is that it could have been a weather related delay. Ask your parents why the flight was delayed. If it was due to the crew or mechanical, you are entitle to compensation, however if it's due to weather, Delta is not responsible.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by CourtCourt
She indicates that the ONLY compensation they were offered was 900 FF miles.
I vote fiction here. I've heard of DL giving 500 miles, 1000 miles, 5000 miles, even 250 miles. Never has 900 miles or any multiple of it ever been given that I've ever heard of. I may be wrong, but I suspect not.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
900 skymiles is both odd and meager. I have my doubts that the story we're hearing hasn't changed in the telling.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 10:11 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
When does a delay merit compensation?

I have not been on a delayed flight in many many years so I was a little confused at what I should have expected (if anything) on a DL flight that was delayed 2.5 hours on Friday in SLC. I did not want to be "that guy" and ask for compensation when I am not sure if I deserve it....
In my case it wasn't a big deal since I had already eaten before I leftr, but there seemed to be some people who had been delayed all day on various flights

When does DL start handing out food/snack vouchers?
Old Nov 19, 2006, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL GM SkyClub; Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HILTON DIAMOND
I think the line is 3 hours. It's hard to tell though . . . usually they will delay the flight for a 1/2 hour 6 or 7 times and then you won't get anything. If the incoming aircraft is going to be very late and they know it, you will get something.
SR
Old Nov 20, 2006, 4:25 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
If the delay is due to weather - and that would include weather hours earlier that caused a "ripple effect" in the schedule - then you won't get anything.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:05 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by keeton
If the delay is due to weather - and that would include weather hours earlier that caused a "ripple effect" in the schedule - then you won't get anything.
Right, I knew that part. I'm not sure exactly why the incoming flight was late, the CRC front desk guy just said my incoming aircraft was late from CVG, and me being the clueless idiot I am, didn't bother asking if it was weather, ATC, mechanical...
Old Nov 20, 2006, 3:14 pm

I wouldn't spend much time worrying about it. Not surprisingly they will always attribute a delay to weather or ATC if there is any remotely possible way to justify that, and sometimes even if there isn't (depending on the station).
Old Nov 20, 2006, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL GM SkyClub; Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HILTON DIAMOND
Always investigate the reason of your aircraft being late!!! I sweat they will blame weather even if the engine fell off at the gate.
SR
Old Jan 6, 2007, 7:17 am

Programs: Starwood Plat, UA Plat, 2MM, AS MVPG
Compensation for delayed flight

Last night, FLT 813 due to depart at 8:25 p.m JFK-PBI was delayed 5 hours. The crew told the passengers almost nothing as they sat in the plane for three hours. They then deplaned the passengers who eventually waited another two hours. My daughter gave up and went home, at her own $50 cab fare expense as it was midnight. What compensation is due, given the flight was 5 hours late and it was not due to weather. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 2:58 pm

That depends. Did the crew say why the flight was delayed? If it was weather or an ATC delay (there was some bad weather yesterday along the route the JFK-PBI flight would have taken) then you are entitled to nothing, but I would certainly at least try. If it was a mechanical issue, then certainly the airline should offer some compensation. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 7:28 pm

It seems to have been both ,mechanical - they came back to the gate - and then they had crew time limit problems, which seemed to be the key issue. Total delay - 5 hours late from scheduled takeoff. Isn't there some Rule 240, or something like that that spells out the compensation no matter which airline?
Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:38 am

What happened was a refund and $100 voucher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.