Wiki Posts
Search

Seattle vs. Salt Lake City

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Seattle vs. Salt Lake City

How is Delta going to replace the access to smaller airports in the Northwest that it loses when the partnership with Alaska ends?

Looking at Oregon: currently EUG, RDM, and MFR have 2x daily to SLC. 3x daily EUG-SEA starts soon. Is this a sign of a move away from SLC towards SEA, or just more DL service in general?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PDXpress
How is Delta going to replace the access to smaller airports in the Northwest that it loses when the partnership with Alaska ends?

Looking at Oregon: currently EUG, RDM, and MFR have 2x daily to SLC. 3x daily EUG-SEA starts soon. Is this a sign of a move away from SLC towards SEA, or just more DL service in general?
SEA and SLC serve different roles. SEA is more of a gateway, while SLC is more of a traditional hub.

SLC connects DL's East Coast operations to the West Coast. SEA serves as DL's TPAC hub.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: Delta FO, SW Rapid Rewards
As far as Washington goes DL already serves Spokane, Tri-Cities, and Clarkston (LWS). Besides Pullman/Moscow (PUW), there probably isn't much more for them to gain. And I think they may start service to PUW once the runway realignment is completed (at least that's what I'm hoping).

Last edited by Upthewazzu; Jan 3, 2017 at 3:49 pm
Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Upthewazzu
As far as Washington goes DL already serves Spokane, Tri-Cities, and Clarkston (LWS).
Pasco is a good example of what I'm noticing. It looks like it's 3x to SLC and 3x to SEA this summer. That seems to be the pattern when DL adds an airport from SEA: roughly the same number of departures as to SLC.

PSC: 3x to SLC, 3x to SEA
PDX: 6x to SLC, 7x to SEA
EUG: 2x to SLC, 3x to SEA

So it's an incremental question: if DL has one more plane to throw at RDM or MFR, does it go to SLC or SEA?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WWads
SEA and SLC serve different roles. SEA is more of a gateway, while SLC is more of a traditional hub.

SLC connects DL's East Coast operations to the West Coast. SEA serves as DL's TPAC hub.
That's the way I see it as well. SLC has a lot more use for me as a connecting point unless I'm actually going to Seattle.

It's like UA's SFO and DEN operations. SFO is a major Pacific gateway and DEN is a traditional hub that connects east/west traffic.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
That's the way I see it as well. SLC has a lot more use for me as a connecting point unless I'm actually going to Seattle.

It's like UA's SFO and DEN operations. SFO is a major Pacific gateway and DEN is a traditional hub that connects east/west traffic.
DL's goal is to have kind of the same set up UA has. But instead of LAX/SFO/DEN DL will have LAX/SEA/SLC.

most of the domestic growth is targeted for those three stations over the next few years.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
DL's goal is to have kind of the same set up UA has. But instead of LAX/SFO/DEN DL will have LAX/SEA/SLC.

most of the domestic growth is targeted for those three stations over the next few years.
This is the first description that's helped me wrap my head around how SEA and SLC can peacefully coexist in a DL network - thanks for making the comparison.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:16 am

Programs: DL G, UA G, IHG SA
I am in Montana and DL just cut all non-stop flights from SEA. Now all connections need to go through SLC or MSP. Time to switch to AS.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291

This is false. DL has stated that its growth plan is focused on SEA, LAX and BOS. SLC is only forecast to grow slightly, and that's from upsizing planes rather than from new routes
Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by luek096
I am in Montana and DL just cut all non-stop flights from SEA. Now all connections need to go through SLC or MSP. Time to switch to AS.
I love that my airport is a safe hub

Unscathed yet again.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:08 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by luek096
Similar boat, but SEA is only a good option of heading to the Pacific NW or Asia. In those cases, I can fly on AS to Seattle and connect on DL (or whoever).

Heading east, or to the Southwest, AS doesn't make much sense from Montana.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:22 am

Do you think DL would ever consider adding 1X daily service to SEA? They used to have that where I previously lived to JFK to feed intl flights. That flight was chronically delayed going in and out of JFK all day, but with DL's on time performance a lot better now and not flying through any hubs known for delays, it doesn't seem like a bad option.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
DL west coast service from PDX just sucks compared to AS. Want to fly to the bay area? ... Connect in Seattle or Salt Lake or LAX. Flush time down the drain.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by The Situation
Do you think DL would ever consider adding 1X daily service to SEA? They used to have that where I previously lived to JFK to feed intl flights. That flight was chronically delayed going in and out of JFK all day, but with DL's on time performance a lot better now and not flying through any hubs known for delays, it doesn't seem like a bad option.
Sure, but it depends on where you live...there are a few instances where this already happens. SEA is becoming very constrained by gate space and so overnighting planes elsewhere is an easy way to have 1x daily service to certain cities. Fly it out of SEA in the evening, overnight it, and back to SEA in the morning.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by doglover
DL west coast service from PDX just sucks compared to AS. Want to fly to the bay area? ... Connect in Seattle or Salt Lake or LAX. Flush time down the drain.
Ya, I think there's room for DL to better compete in the Bay Area. But I think that would start a war with UA. And DL is not eager to fight a war at this point.

Maybe SJC-PDX could happen one day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.