Wiki Posts
Search

Split PNR - 17 yo traveler

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Split PNR - 17 yo traveler

Good morning. I recently took advantage of the sale fares between MSP and FRA (connecting in DTW) for myself, wife and son. My international travel is going to be limited this year, so I'm thinking about pulling my GUC and applying them for my wife and I. Are there any challenges with splitting my 17 year old onto his own PNR so I can have him in Y while wife and I enjoy D1 as it appears I can only use certificates for one companion. Of course all assuming space is available.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
There should not be any problem. A 17-year-old can travel on Delta without an adult.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:47 am
Original Poster

I thought so and I knew about the unaccompanied minor thing for 16-17 year olds not being mandatory. Just wasn't sure about international, and if splitting it to apply GUC was anything to be concerned with.

Thank you.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A non issue at age 17. He will likely be thrilled to have you seated elsewhere so that he can make use of his fake ID for the free booze.

If he is tall, you might spring for C+ as the seat pitch can be awful.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:30 am

Some countries require documentation to prevent human trafficking of children. Children in their own PNR will trigger extra steps during checkin, but that won't be a hindrance if you have a birth certificate. Canada and South Africa are two examples. I don't know if Germany also requires this, but you should be aware of the possibility to be required to prove legal guardianship.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
A non issue at age 17. He will likely be thrilled to have you seated elsewhere so that he can make use of his fake ID for the free booze.

If he is tall, you might spring for C+ as the seat pitch can be awful.
Already did this, before I thought about it. As a DM, I thought I was able to select C+ seats, but for some reason figured it wasn't applicable for international, not thinking that it was due to having 2 companions on my itinerary. Lesson learned. We're in bulkhead on 767 from DTW to FRA. I'm hoping to keep him on the aisle while wife and I will more than likely waitlist for GUC to D1.

At 17, I'm sure he hasn't had a sip of booze. Although, he was awfully excited to hear he can drink beer in Germany... ?!?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Widgets
Some countries require documentation to prevent human trafficking of children. Children in their own PNR will trigger extra steps during checkin, but that won't be a hindrance if you have a birth certificate. Canada and South Africa are two examples. I don't know if Germany also requires this, but you should be aware of the possibility to be required to prove legal guardianship.
Isn't his passport going to be enough anyway?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Widgets
Originally Posted by chack22
Isn't his passport going to be enough anyway?
For the countries that require a birth certificate, it's because they want to see who the parents are - information not provided on a passport.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
But the 17 year old will be travelling with his parents - all be it in a different cabin!

When they present to the Immigration Officer on arrival they should present together as a single family unit.

Ditto at check-in.

The main requirement which the OP should check is that their passports are valid for a period of 6 months beyond their visit.

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...y/germany.html
Old Dec 30, 2016, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
But the 17 year old will be travelling with his parents - all be it in a different cabin!

When they present to the Immigration Officer on arrival they should present together as a single family unit.

Ditto at check-in.

The main requirement which the OP should check is that their passports are valid for a period of 6 months beyond their visit.

Yup, I'm fully expecting to present as a single entity at both check-in as well and passport control. Wife and sons passports are brand new and mine is less than 4 years old so we're good there.

Delta allowed me to split the PNR, and wife and I are GUC waitlisted for the long DTW>FRA segment.

Thanks all!
Old Dec 30, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by chack22
At 17, I'm sure he hasn't had a sip of booze. Although, he was awfully excited to hear he can drink beer in Germany... ?!?

My 14yr old daughter (1 of 4 daughters) went on a MR to SIN, then from KUL to REP (Cambodia) where there is no minimum legal drinking age. She was SO STOKED to be able to order her own DRINK at dinner!

Otherwise, when you book all your tix - you can split out your 17yr old, and they should (make sure they do) link your records together so that you still show as traveling all together.

Only drawback is that as a 17yr old (technically minor) - you won't be able to precheck them in until you get to the airport.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

Ditto at check-in.

However since he's under 18 some would require the birth certificate to prove who the parents are.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyerCO
However since he's under 18 some would require the birth certificate to prove who the parents are.

but not Germany where the OP is flying too!

If if it was a requirement then the State Department would include such a vital piece of information in the web page I linked to!
Old Dec 31, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
I have done this in the past with minors. Once I ran into trouble when one leg of travel returning from FCO was cancelled and myself and SO were rebooked automatically on the first flight in the morning because we were DM and GM and the kids 15,13,11 were left in the dust.
For whatever reason when you split the PNR they don't make you pay UM fees and you can still take the upgrade for the domestic part of travel or if it's upgradeable international. (I'm doing this for Panama in February)
Old Dec 31, 2016, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nikitta28
I have done this in the past with minors. Once I ran into trouble when one leg of travel returning from FCO was cancelled and myself and SO were rebooked automatically on the first flight in the morning because we were DM and GM and the kids 15,13,11 were left in the dust.
For whatever reason when you split the PNR they don't make you pay UM fees and you can still take the upgrade for the domestic part of travel or if it's upgradeable international. (I'm doing this for Panama in February)
I didn't think about the rebooking issue in the event of unforeseen circumstances. I'm hoping DM line would be able to rectify any automatic changes, especially since reservations are still linked?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.