Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

International Check in at Domestic Counter (and vice versa)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Check in at Domestic Counter (and vice versa)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2016, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Check-in question for ATL

Flying, on Delta, into ATL on a Wed night, staying overnight at local hotel, then flying, still on Delta, to Cancun on Thursday morning.

Can I check in for the Cancun flight at the domestic terminal ?? or do I have to go to the International terminal.

Will be taking the Sky train from hotel to airport, which drops off a the T concourse end of the airport.

If I must check in a the International Terminal, what is best or quickest way from hotel to that Terminal.

Thanks in advance for all responses, and hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
You can check in (on Delta) at either end. However, if the hotel will drop you off at the International side, the experience is much better IMO.

You could take the train to the rental car area then bus to Int'l, but this would not be worth it.

I suspect the hotels will serve the Int'l side but I don't know for sure. Since either side is OK I would just ask when you get there if no one responds with better info.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Agree with Orca.

BUT, the groundside transportation can also be an issue. Even if the hotel will shuttle you to the east (international) side, you could well lose 15 minutes or so.

If you prefer to stick with the train, just enter the terminal at domestic and survive 10 minutes or so of bumping shoulders with the unwashed masses.

[Monday morning might be different, particularly for those w/o status. TSA can be bad then].
Old Dec 24, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
If you're taking the train, just check in on that side. As others have indicated, check-in on the international side only makes sense if you have transit that drops off directly on the international terminal curb in front of check-in.

Security is generally better at the far end of the terminal, not the center, and the Sky Priority line is usually going faster than PreCheck for most of Monday mornings. Thursdays? You may have better luck.

Does the Cancun flight leave out of E or F?
Old Dec 24, 2016, 4:08 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by kthomas
If you're taking the train, just check in on that side. As others have indicated, check-in on the international side only makes sense if you have transit that drops off directly on the international terminal curb in front of check-in.

Security is generally better at the far end of the terminal, not the center, and the Sky Priority line is usually going faster than PreCheck for most of Monday mornings. Thursdays? You may have better luck.

Does the Cancun flight leave out of E or F?
Odds are it will leave out of E. I believe that's where they gate most of the narrowbody Central/South America departures.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the answers.

Is it worth taking the International shuttle from the Sky Train rather than fight security ??

The flight to Cancun departs at 8:00am, so I would be going through security at approx 6:00am-6:30am. How is it at that time at the domestic end of the Terminal ???
Old Dec 24, 2016, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by marksommerville
Is it worth taking the International shuttle from the Sky Train rather than fight security ??

The flight to Cancun departs at 8:00am... How is it at that time at the domestic end of the Terminal ???
I depart for MEX out of E or F 20-40 times/year, but usually not that early; I'd think you'd have less of security issue.

My experience (perhaps someone who has tried it recently will correct) has been that unless it's a car dropping me, the shuttle bus (presumably from the rental car area) is a worse bet than heading to the main entrance. But where are you starting from?-- that may matter, if there's a reasonable option other than the SkyTrain.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Hotel shuttles generally I find only drop off at the main terminal. Some will bring you if asked, but IME that's the exception.

If you have luggage I'd just checking and do security at the main terminal. Otherwise I believe theres an airport shuttle that runs between the two. However if it's running, it'll be a set schedule if I remember correctly. I normally only transit and don't exit security. Thus it's been over a year since I checked in for a flight there.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 4:24 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Atlanta Airport check in options (International or Domestic)

Hi all

I figured this was covered here already, but a search wasn't fruitful.

Can someone traveling internationally on Delta (first stop an international city) check in at the domestic ATL terminal? Or are they forced to the international terminal?

Everything I read says that you 'should' go to the international terminal. And I know that for any international airline check in it is a must. But not clear about airlines that have check in facilities in the domestic terminal.

I'm asking because we have a group leaving at the same time but with different destinations. I understand they prefer you use the international terminal, but wondering if they will send you away from Domestic or not.

Thanks
Old Dec 25, 2016, 4:27 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Just yesterday

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...stion-atl.html
Old Dec 25, 2016, 5:03 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Thanks Zorak. Sorry I missed that, sometimes the right search terms can be a challenge....
Old Dec 25, 2016, 5:08 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Thanks Zorak. Sorry I missed that, sometimes the right search terms can be a challenge....
No worries, I happened to remember seeing the other thread which helped
Old Dec 25, 2016, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Otherwise I believe theres an airport shuttle that runs between the two. However if it's running, it'll be a set schedule if I remember correctly. I normally only transit and don't exit security. Thus it's been over a year since I checked in for a flight there.
It's been a while since I used that shuttle-- mostly because of being forced to exit customs, no access to gates, I think they've fixed that -- and my memory was that it was time-dismal, faster to head through security, take the airport train to domestic and exit there if you could.

Again YMMV, someone else may have done that more recently.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: DL GM
Most ATL airport area hotels don't shuttle to the international terminal. I once asked a shuttle driver why and was told that this was for two reasons:
1) Unlike the domestic terminal, the international termnal doesn't have dedicated staging area for shuttle pickup/dropoff, and
2) The hotel would have to double their shuttle vehicles and drivers to cover opposite ends of the same airport.

Mrs. WWGuy and I travel to the Caribbean via ATL a couple of times a year and overnight in ATL hotels going each way. As mentioned above the international check-in and security experience is much better in the international terminal.

A $20 bill covers taxi fare and nice tip for short fare from either terminal to local hotels.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
I think my original advice was sound, for ANY DL flight at ATL- if you can get to INTL easily, do so (hotel shuttle, rental car shuttle, or as one poster suggested, taxi). Yes it's a long drive but usually seems worth it, especially after 2PM when pre-check opens.

The added benefit is that you are at the F SC.

Do not bother leaving main terminal to go to the INTL terminal, it won't be worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.