Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minnesota Vikings Delta Flight Skids of Runway at Appleton

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minnesota Vikings Delta Flight Skids of Runway at Appleton

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2016, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by scongro
Not for NFL Planes. Usually they give the big guys the first class/D1 seats, and they allocate 1.5 seats to every other player (so a row of 2 has 1, a row of 3 has 2, etc).

i know the Jaguars use AA this year after using DL as far back as I remember. But, they use a VS A340 for the London game specifically because of the number of Upper Class seats.

sorry for going a little off topic....
Virgin Atlantic is the official carrier for the NFL International Series, and is bringing all six teams of 53 players and their entourage to London.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
They've increased the international games to 4 in 2017 so I guess they get to fly all 8 teams over.

A few of us went over when the Vikings played a few years ago. We'll be doing it again in 2017.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
Google Maps says 37 minutes from Appleton airport (ATW) to Lambeau. It's 11 minutes from ATW to the Radisson in Appleton, and 33 minutes from the Radisson in Appleton to Lambeau.

From Austin Straubel in Green Bay (GRB) it's 11 minutes to Lambeau - - and there's a Radisson across from the airport.

Just think of all the time they would save by flying directly into Green Bay.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 10:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does the team always stay in Radissons? My impression is that Green Bay has a better collection of hotels, including a Hyatt Regency downtown where some of the TV network sports people stay.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
Um. Afaik. All the NFL visiting teams fly in and out of Appleton. You really think they ferry an A330 aircraft into Greenbay for the team to leave on? I don't think so.

Also, owners , executives & Coaches sit in FC. The NFLPA has nothing to do,with it & equipment is flown on the charter. This isn't college. It's isn't trucked around. It flies with the team. Billion dollar industry.
Um, no. They don't drive all the way back to ATW. DL8867 departed GRB following the game. While I'm sure the visiting teams fly out of ATW on occasion, it's usually GRB.

They don't park an A330 at ATW for 24+ hours while it could be making money...well, maybe this time. ;-)

Last edited by atword; Dec 24, 2016 at 10:48 pm Reason: Part of post deleted accidentally when submitting.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 5:55 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
Um. Afaik. All the NFL visiting teams fly in and out of Appleton. You really think they ferry an A330 aircraft into Greenbay for the team to leave on? I don't think so.

Also, owners , executives & Coaches sit in FC. The NFLPA has nothing to do,with it & equipment is flown on the charter. This isn't college. It's isn't trucked around. It flies with the team. Billion dollar industry.
You're assuming the plane stays in Wisc until after the game.

Also, Appleton is likely to be a bit quieter the night before a game.

Once upon a time the largest thing that flew in there was a DH-15 and GRB was a hub used by NC Convairs

and the Pack was great then too and number 15 played QB.

Bob H

Last edited by BobH; Dec 25, 2016 at 11:28 am
Old Dec 25, 2016, 8:42 am

The whole thing was just a clever Packers psy-op with excellent results.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hertz PC, National EE, Bonvoy TE, GE, CLEAR
Actually Green Bay players stay at the Green Bay Radisson even for their home games and that is why the visiting team stays at the Appleton Radisson. Lots of fans stay at the hotel with the players for the game as well so there is very little extra room and they are booked way in advance.

I know this from experience of having to drive to the Appleton Radisson after being kicked out from the Green Bay Radisson on the weekend of a home game.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.