Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Selecting Seats on Westjet Flights Possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, AA, UA, WN, E+ Gold
Can I select seats on westjet?

An upcoming connection from LAX to YVR on westjet, and seat map is not available on DL.com. I only have a DL confirm, so record cannot be located on westjet's website. Am i going to wind up awaiting seat assignment at LAX? Unfamiliar with this and just wondering what's the best way to handle? Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
My one and only (and last I will ever take) flight LGA-YYZ I had call WestJet to get a seat. Remember there are "premium" seats much like EC that they sell for a fee up to 24hrs before the flight. At that time you can choose then for free. So if you do not want to pay you will have to wait til T24 to call.

I also had issues where DL didn't know anything about the WestJet ticket and I could not check in online, and there are no kiosks in LGA, you have to line up to check, don't know what issues you will have as a connection though.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Call Westjet. You can get your record locator over the phone from the automated system after giving some information. Seemed too easy, but there you go. Using this, you can access your Westjet reservation, check in online, and reserve seats should you choose.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
I've never been successful at selecting a WestJet seat on a DL ticketed itinerary.

However, I do connections through LGA on a WestJet flight that was ticketed by DL all the time. I can check in online or at a kiosk the origin aiport through DL and print boarding passes, but I have to get a new BP at the WestJet gate in LGA. They will usually let me pick an exit row then as well.

The other direction, YYZ-LGA-??, I have to check in at the WestJet gate. I get both BPs but I usually have the DL gate reprint the pass as the DL barcode reader doesn't like the WestJet BP.

However, be very careful with SDCing or changing to a different WestJet flight for any reason, if you do it through WestJet ticket counter or gate agent. I did that in late December and had to jump through multiple hoops with Delta to get MQM credit. I'd recommend calling Delta and having them do the change.

If you are successful in preselecting a WestJet seat, please post what you did.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:01 pm

Programs: DL-DM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Picking a seat on Westjet

All,

Please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place but it is a Delta question despite my title. I booked a multi stop trip in a few weeks on the Delta website going from LAX-JFK-LGA-YYZ-LAX. The LGA - YYZ leg is flown by WestJet and it gives me no option to pick a seat. Do I have to call WestJet???

Any help I can get would be a real +

Thank you in advance.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 4:53 am

Programs: DL DM 2.85MM, Priority Platinum
The only way to get the seat is call Westjet. Even then it is sometimes tough as it depends on the fare you are on.

That said the few times I have called them in the past year they have been pleasant just not alway able to help. Good luck.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by sprock33243
All,

Please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place but it is a Delta question despite my title. I booked a multi stop trip in a few weeks on the Delta website going from LAX-JFK-LGA-YYZ-LAX. The LGA - YYZ leg is flown by WestJet and it gives me no option to pick a seat. Do I have to call WestJet???

Any help I can get would be a real +

Thank you in advance.
call westjet and get your westjet conf #. you can then use it on their web site to pick seats and do OLCI.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: DL DM, National Executive, SPG Gold, Global Entry, NEXUS
I do this route often. Just take your Delta confirmation number and plug it into the Westjet online check-in. You'll be able to select seats there.

A few things to know:

1. By checking in on Westjet's site vs. Delta's site, WS takes control of your ticket.

2. The good news is WS has no change fees, so if you're on WS paper, there's no rebooking fee. Just walk up to the counter, and they'll pop you on the next flight out.

3. The bad news is if you do a WS controlled ticket, during a weather event, you are at the mercy of WS. You have to call WS to relinquish control of your ticket to DL for a DL agent to rebook you on another flight. This is not trivial. The DL system occasionally seems to be able to handle this automatically, but it has been hit or miss for me.

4. WS cancels very frequently, esp. early morning out of LGA. DL is way more reliable in/out of JFK despite a smaller and older plane. On a DL controlled ticket, they will rebook me YYZ-JFK if YYZ-LGA is not possible. On WS, I'm stuck.

5. WS is very seat change friendly. The flights are rarely ever full, so a trip to the desk will get you a better seat even if you're on DL ticket. Don't sweat it if you check-in on DL and don't have a seat assignment.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:48 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Their EC lets one board first and at some airports they have a separate checkin much like SP.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
You'll be fine without a seat. Usually that means you'll end up in their version of economy comfort as the Canadians seem less interested in paying for that premium seat.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 5:42 pm
Suspended

If there I an existing thread on this, please direct me to it. My search yielded one result from nearly 4 years ago.

So, I would like to select a seat on a WestJet flight for this Monday, YYZ - LGA. It was booked on Delta and they told me I have to contact the operating carrier. When I go to the WestJet website it says I have to contact the original booking carrier. What gives? Anyone have any ideas on how to get a seat assignment before check-in? Thanks.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
call DL and ask the agent to give you the WS record locator; use that on the WS website
Old Dec 23, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter, 2.9MM; 2019 PM and falling; Kettle everywhere else
There is a charge for this if you have an econo or flex fare. I think the last time I did this it was about $20 CAD each way SFO-YVR. And, yes, you do need the Westjet record locator.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lbcnu
There is a charge for this if you have an econo or flex fare. I think the last time I did this it was about $20 CAD each way SFO-YVR. And, yes, you do need the Westjet record locator.
I have the WestJet confirmation # but when I try to process the request on the website it directs me to the carrier of purchase. I tried telling this to Delta but they say there is nothing they can do,

Hopefully, as a DM, I can still do a co-terminal SDC into JFK on a delta flight. I also have to check baggage so I am guessing WestJet will charge me?
Old Dec 23, 2016, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by KeepItReal
I have the WestJet confirmation # but when I try to process the request on the website it directs me to the carrier of purchase. I tried telling this to Delta but they say there is nothing they can do,

Hopefully, as a DM, I can still do a co-terminal SDC into JFK on a delta flight. I also have to check baggage so I am guessing WestJet will charge me?
call WS

and yes I suspect WS will charge for baggage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.