Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX - SYD Delta Comfort vs Main Cabin

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2016, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

LAX - SYD Delta Comfort vs Main Cabin

So flying to Sydney and I'm weighing an option between Delta Comfort on the window, or Main Cabin (first row behind Comfort) on the aisle. I know the aisle vs window choice is a personal one, but wondering if there is a perk to comfort on a long international. Like do we still get some cocktails? Because I'd think legroom right behind comfort on an aisle is probably just as good.

Plan to be nicely lubricated in either case but curious if there really is a benefit in this case.

Thanks
Old Dec 19, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Alcohol is free in all cabins on long-haul international. Delta Comfort+ will offer extra legroom and extra recline. I see no reason to think that the row behind comfort+ would have extra legroom. AND the seat in front of you, a Comfort+ seat, will likely have extra recline into your space.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by tplace1
So flying to Sydney and I'm weighing an option between Delta Comfort on the window, or Main Cabin (first row behind Comfort) on the aisle. I know the aisle vs window choice is a personal one, but wondering if there is a perk to comfort on a long international. Like do we still get some cocktails? Because I'd think legroom right behind comfort on an aisle is probably just as good.

Plan to be nicely lubricated in either case but curious if there really is a benefit in this case.

Thanks
The trouble with the first row behind C+ is that C+ has a little extra recline, and the row behind (your suggested row) does not. You might have the C+ passenger ahead of you fully reclining into your space, and nothing you can do about it.

Agree with aisle - that's a good idea. The first row behind C+, not so much.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:36 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
If you can grab row 29 (bulkhead) in C+ then buy the upgrade. Otherwise, it's up to you as to whether or not you want the extra 3-4 inches of space between you and the person in front of you.

As others have said, do NOT get the row right behind C+.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 12:45 am

Programs: DL PM
Maybe it's just my imagination, but I've always noticed the row behind c+, at least on some planes, seems to have the same leg room as c+ (but not the recline).
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by appleguru
Maybe it's just my imagination, but I've always noticed the row behind c+, at least on some planes, seems to have the same leg room as c+ (but not the recline).
And this is my quandary. Because I'm not a recline person, but I am a leg crosser. And it's much easier on an aisle. But it sounds like C+ on the window should be my goal. Just hate stepping over people.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
I've taken this flight, albeit in J, but it is a LONG flight. I agree with all the previous comments, but would add that the first row behind C+, or the latest name from Delta, is always questionable. I've seen them both ways, but I wouldn't take the chance. If it is standard pitch, the headrest of the C+ in front of you will be in your face. God help the person sitting in the window that needs to get out mid flight.

Shoot for the bulkhead as described, but know that it could have a child bassinet in it and you may be moved to accommodate that. As for the lubrication, note that it IS a 16 to 17 hour flight and that's a lot of lubrication and trips to the bathroom.

Enjoy Oz!
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by nichojo
If you can grab row 29 (bulkhead) in C+ then buy the upgrade. Otherwise, it's up to you as to whether or not you want the extra 3-4 inches of space between you and the person in front of you.

Row 29 is great. My brother had it (window) ATL-JNB-ATL, and he had plenty of room and no trouble getting in and out of his seat.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by DL Platinum
Shoot for the bulkhead as described, but know that it could have a child bassinet in it and you may be moved to accommodate that. As for the lubrication, note that it IS a 16 to 17 hour flight and that's a lot of lubrication and trips to the bathroom.

Enjoy Oz!
I wonder if DL actually will move someone on the LAX-SYD and ATL-JNB flights. It's been my experience that C+ is sold out on these flights well in advance. I can't imagine DL moving someone out of a C+ seats to a worse seat on a flight this long. But I could be wrong.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:17 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by nichojo

The DL 777 bulkhead + your rollaboard suitcase as a footstool is as comfy as you can get in Y/C+/whatever DL wants to call it this week on any plane in the sky. I've done it many many times on 15hr+ flights.

Even if I didn't have DM I would totally pay for the bulkhead.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: Marriott PM, Delta DM
I've done this route several times in all cabins - if you're not able to get anything good in Comfort+ see if you can get one of the windows on row 44. Seatguru has lots of bad things to say about these seats but I'm not greatly bothered by any of them. The emergency slide really isn't that bad. Having tables in the armrests prevents the middle guy from overflowing into my seating area. I'm not worried about having a window considering 90% of the flight is dark. There's no floor storage but, I just get my backpack out of the overhead after take off - it's with me for 14 hours, then I re-stow it before landing...minimum inconvenience.

The bathroom is a curse/blessing - I like to have it close by but people do gather in front of you - then again, there's enough space in that area to hold a small cocktail party. Speaking of which, I'm a big fan of packing mini bottles in my 3-1-1 bag for this flight. It's completely acceptable to pack mini bottles that way.

Be sure to pick up your favorite booze in duty-free at SYD. Alcohol is extremely pricey in Australia.

My $.02
Travis
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:29 am

My $0.02. I have flown LAX-SYD in both J and Y. I have not flown it since Y+ came along. My wife and I flew ATL-AMS on an A-330 in July, and I upgraded us to Y+ for the eastbound (overnight) leg. I do think there are advantages to the greater legroom for sleeping, as well as getting in an out of a window seat.

I am 6'1" and have flown many TATL and TPAC flights in coach on lots of different types of aircraft, and I am used to it and usually sleep as much as possible. But a little extra legroom goes a long way.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Personally like the window to get the 'corner' to lean into for sleep...and if on starboard side, get to watch the sunrise on the Australian coastline.

As for getting over people - that is their choice/obligation for getting aisle or middle. Albeit, I try to time my departures when at least one of them gets up - but I think everybody knows what needs to be done and there is no hard feelings when it happens.

C+ definitely gets you more pitch and a tad more recline. Bulkhead gets you more room to get around people, but at the expense of hard seat 'sides' where your tray table is and the retractable arm of the video screen that has to be stowed for takeoff and landing.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

I've decided to roll the dice in 44C (outbound) and 44G (return). I put in for a mileage upgrade. I'm DM and my GUC's just expired at the beginning of the month. So no dice there (tried sweet talking a reactivation from the agent). Keeping my eyes open for C+ to have an opening.

There are a few seats showing open in C+ but my upgrade hasn't cleared. Agent said they're taken, even though they show available on the seat map.

Thanks for the insights, folks! I'll be throwing back the stubbies for sure back in cattle class!
Old May 7, 2017, 6:27 pm

Upgrade to + worth $300?

We will be doing r/t LAX to Sydney on a Delta 777. We have enough miles to cover the fare in coach but not enough for comfort. If I use miles plus cash for the same number of miles plus an additional $300 each we can get the extra 4" legroom. For two 14-15 hour flights it seems like it may be worthwhile (I am 6' - she is 5'3"). But maybe at 6' I can handle the coach legroom? The longest nonstop flight I have taken was Seattle to Dallas so this is a big difference. Any thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.