Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Boarding

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I have pointed out to an FA that the guy in front of me clearly had 3 carry on's. She said he was in FC, so it was OK...

Once this behavior is allowed once, it is pretty much hard to enforce at a later point because it becomes and expectation by the offender....
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM, suffering Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by koreanair720
YES!! And hopefully some kind of booby prize/sound when a person tries to get in too early. A loud buzzer? A squirt of water?
Electric shock, a dope slap, and being sent to the back of Group 4.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jallred6
Electric shock, a dope slap, and being sent to the back of Group 4.
How about deducting 500 skymiles for each offense?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:01 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I thought the same thing when I was there last week for my FCO flight....giant double decker slanting ramp jetway. Couldn't part of that be turned into actual usable space?
That would probably be too logical. Not to mention make too much space in the hallway.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:08 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
If someone boards in front of me with more than two carry on bags (especially the ones who have a large rollaboard, a hanging bag and a computer bag), I ask the GA if the announcement was wrong. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

The ones who also drive me to the nuts are the passengers who have two full size (actually usually oversized) rollaboards. In what possible way does that translate to a carryon and a small personal item .
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by mpheels
If you end up at the gate with more than a personal item, then you pay 2x the regular baggage fee.
I've been saying for years that airlines should have a practice where if you show up with too many or too large of a carry on, it gets gate checked with a brightly colored tag which results in it getting delivered, last to the baggage service office at your final destination. When the offending pax goes to collect their bag, they must pay 2x or 3x the standard fee to get it back.

Makes the GA's process pretty easy as there's no payment to process, and while the baggage office will have to deal with irate pax, it's all happening on the ground, after the flight, when someone pitching a fit isn't going to hold up a plane full of people.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
I've been saying for years that airlines should have a practice where if you show up with too many or too large of a carry on, it gets gate checked with a brightly colored tag which results in it getting delivered, last to the baggage service office at your final destination. When the offending pax goes to collect their bag, they must pay 2x or 3x the standard fee to get it back.

Makes the GA's process pretty easy as there's no payment to process, and while the baggage office will have to deal with irate pax, it's all happening on the ground, after the flight, when someone pitching a fit isn't going to hold up a plane full of people.
I like it. Bright Red deprioritize tags and even just the standard baggage check fee upon landing would be fine.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 5:56 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
(once again) you are arguing apples, we are arguing oranges.

The safe assumption here is that most PM or DM and/or MM has spent a significant amount of money on DL. I would argue that most of us on FT are in the top percentage of spenders on Delta. As such, we are in the "$$$$" category. Has nothing to do with the class purchased. Though, often I purchase F. Argument has nothing to do with the price of F.

I get sick of people rushing F with 4 bags seeing how fast they can take up the overhead bins and stuff their life above their seat. Check a bag, act like a human, and bring compliant carry ons. That's all. You aren't special.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by pvn
The whole idea of E fares is to cut costs. Mandating an interaction with a human = increasing costs. There's a reason F9 NK etc charge you for a boarding pass if you don't print one at home.
In theory, EVERYONE with an E fare has to have human contact anyway. They can only generate seat request cards from home. Most don't know to scan at boarding for their new card. Use it as a chance for more revenue from these people. After all, the entire theory behind E fares is unbundling. F9 EK and G4 ALL charge for carry on bags. Delta should start. Don't want to pay, there's a fare for that.

It is the cheap that don't want to pay, and the delicate snowflakes in F that think they shouldn't have to that are both the problem. This solves one.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
In theory, EVERYONE with an E fare has to have human contact anyway. They can only generate seat request cards from home. Most don't know to scan at boarding for their new card. Use it as a chance for more revenue from these people. After all, the entire theory behind E fares is unbundling. F9 EK and G4 ALL charge for carry on bags. Delta should start. Don't want to pay, there's a fare for that.

It is the cheap that don't want to pay, and the delicate snowflakes in F that think they shouldn't have to that are both the problem. This solves one.
I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong. But I think DL should wait and see what happens with United. It's easy for Frontier and Allegiant to police the carry-on bags since everyone is subject to being charged for it. I'm surprised to hear that Emirates charges for carry-on bags though. It will be harder for United to see who is breaking the rules unless they have a dedicated boarding zone for basic economy fares.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong. But I think DL should wait and see what happens with United. It's easy for Frontier and Allegiant to police the carry-on bags since everyone is subject to being charged for it. I'm surprised to hear that Emirates charges for carry-on bags though. It will be harder for United to see who is breaking the rules unless they have a dedicated boarding zone for basic economy fares.
It is my understanding that they will have a dedicated zone for basic at UA. I know that their scanners do buzz when someone boards out of their zone. Happened to a lady in front of me at EWR last week.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:02 am

Love This

Originally Posted by Gwing21
In ATL yesterday morning and DL was trying a new boarding procedure. Poles up with Prem (in Priority lane) then Pole w/Sky, Zone1, Zone 2 & Zone 3 with ropes for each line.
All of us in the Prem line were giving the GA a hard time about this looking and feeling like Southwest (cattle Car) she smiles shook her head and agreed with us, I really hope this does not catch on with Dl
Anyone else see this lately?
I saw, used, and love this. OK, it will not stop the professional gate lice, but it will stop some of the stupid and entitled ones in the back of the bus. Now, let's have GAs that enforce this.

“The definition of a zealot is someone who—having lost any idea of what his purpose was -- now doubles down on his effort!”
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:04 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Now if only we could stop the stupid and entitled people in the front of the bus
Old Dec 20, 2016, 12:36 pm

Off to board my CR7 in row 1 and do battle with the entitled. I have a briefcase. They will have their life. I guess in row 1, I will definitely get some overhead or closet space for a bag with a laptop.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:39 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jimrpa
First, with respect to the relic of the golden age of flying that is JFK: Delta either needs to totally demolish it and build a properly-sized, modern terminal (and get rid of the classy greyhound bus while they're at it), or find some way to significantly enlarge the gate areas. Perhaps put in much smaller jetways - there's no reason for the silly huge jetways they currently have. Or, they could put in two-level gate areas.
My big problem with the new T4 is the insane length of the B concourse, which has been partially mitigated by adding more moving walkways. (The new ones are obvious since they're raised above floor level rather than being recessed into the floor.) For all the horrors T3 had toward the end (flocks of pigeons inside the terminal!) at least it didn't involve walking halfway across Long Island to get to your gate.

What I'd love to see is for new terminal space (preferably with an airside connection to T4) built to fill in where T3 used to be; they could then move T2 flights there, knock down T2, and build a new T2 connecting T1 and the new T3-ish thing. At that point T1-4 become the SkyTeam Complex (or for old D&D fans the Temple of Elemental Evil which was module "T1-4").

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.