Wiki Posts
Search

New Boarding

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2016, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-G, UA,Hilton,Hertz
New Boarding

In ATL yesterday morning and DL was trying a new boarding procedure. Poles up with Prem (in Priority lane) then Pole w/Sky, Zone1, Zone 2 & Zone 3 with ropes for each line.
All of us in the Prem line were giving the GA a hard time about this looking and feeling like Southwest (cattle Car) she smiles shook her head and agreed with us, I really hope this does not catch on with Dl
Anyone else see this lately?
Old Dec 18, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/3.4 MM, DLAmex Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold, HH Diamond, National Exec Elite, Hertz Gold 5*
Yes,

I've seen it on the C & D gates in ATL and in NYC at a couple of gates. All trials, I believe.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ing-zones.html
Old Dec 18, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by TurfGuy
Yes,

I've seen it on the C & D gates in ATL and in NYC at a couple of gates. All trials, I believe.
DL has been doing this in the low numbered ATL B gates for years. (B5 and B7 maybe?) Hopefully they are moving it to more gates. It works well.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Gwing21
In ATL yesterday morning and DL was trying a new boarding procedure. Poles up with Prem (in Priority lane) then Pole w/Sky, Zone1, Zone 2 & Zone 3 with ropes for each line.
All of us in the Prem line were giving the GA a hard time about this looking and feeling like Southwest (cattle Car) she smiles shook her head and agreed with us, I really hope this does not catch on with Dl
Anyone else see this lately?
Welcome to FT.

Originally Posted by CJKatl
DL has been doing this in the low numbered ATL B gates for years. (B5 and B7 maybe?) Hopefully they are moving it to more gates. It works well.
THIS! At least for 2 if not more now. Have tinkered in JFK as well.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
I've seen it and I like it a lot as long as everyone understands the concept. It's completely different than the stupid SouthWest cattle call. Have you ever seen the way they attempt to board a 763 in JFK right now? It's stupidly pathetic. The GA basically says "Ok, I'd like Zones Prem, Sky, and 1 to stand in the hallway to the right of the gate and Zones 2, 3, and 4 to stand in the hallway to the left of the gate. It's a complete and utter mess with people wandering around trying to figure out where to stand. Not to mention blocking up the already narrow 1950's era hallways at JFK (apparently, the boarding lounges were sized for the heyday of the DC-8), and completely preventing anyone who legitimately needs to pre board from even seeing the gate, much less standing a fighting chance of being able to approach it.

Frankly, if people are going to behave like cattle (and I'm looking mostly at my fellow medallions in Zones Prem and Sky), perhaps it's time for Delta to get some cattle prods
Old Dec 18, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
For those who complain about WN... what could possibly be more orderly than everyone having an integer and lining up (more or less) in the order of their integer?
Old Dec 18, 2016, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What exactly is the beef?

These systems work quite well (UA has been using this system effectively for years). It is not like WN at all and those giving the GA a hard time deserve to be boarded last.

The fact is that you do not need to line up in advance as all you need to do is wait for the gate lice who insist on being the first onboard to strut onboard. You can then board at your leisure, still get OH space and all is just fine.

This is just people complaining for the sake of complaining.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I've never actually seen these in use, but everytime I see them I wish they had them at my gate. Finding the line can be impossible sometimes.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Count me as a fan. It creates at least some semblance of order.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL DM
The majority of people at airports are lawless and rule-less animals that all think they are more important than anyone else. I LOVE the idea of this. I also love the idea of Delta enforcing zones with some type of public shaming for those trying to board early. I wish all carry on luggage had to pass through a sizer prior to passengers being allowed aboard. I think I am getting crankier as I get older. Airports make me hate people.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Originally Posted by bubbashow
The majority of people at airports are lawless and rule-less animals that all think they are more important than anyone else. I LOVE the idea of this. I also love the idea of Delta enforcing zones with some type of public shaming for those trying to board early. I wish all carry on luggage had to pass through a sizer prior to passengers being allowed aboard. I think I am getting crankier as I get older. Airports make me hate people.
I think (on this topic) you are my twin brother from another Mother ^
Old Dec 18, 2016, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
The people that don't like the orderly system illustrated in the original post are the ones that abuse the system and try to mooch in line before their zone is called. The boarding at Delta has gotten out of hand because of these line moochers and the complicity of the Delta gate agents.

Delta needs to get a handle on the boarding process. If that means zone pyions for people to stand behind, then I'm all for it.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by cottonpatch
The people that don't like the orderly system illustrated in the original post are the ones that abuse the system and try to mooch in line before their zone is called. The boarding at Delta has gotten out of hand because of these line moochers and the complicity of the Delta gate agents.

Delta needs to get a handle on the boarding process. If that means zone pyions for people to stand behind, then I'm all for it.
Trying to depart from almost anywhere in Terminal 4 at JFK last night was a complete nightmare. Delays were making people cranky and people were lining up to board before the previous flight had even deplaned. Looking up and down the terminal, GAs looked like they did the Premium+Sky Priority line up in one direction and Zones 1,2, and 3 in the other and it was a pain to get around. I would be all zone pylons.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:05 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Yeah, though not very classy, it's effective. They do this for the JNB-ATL flight when I was there this summer. I just flew UA for a non-stop flight since DL doesn't do LAX-IAH/HOU. They do the same and well, it's much more organized. Virgin Australia's system works well and there's not a crowd of people blocking the lanes. Plus, hopefully, if I'm running late and miss my zone, I can get to my Prem line and get scanned in before everyone that was technically behind me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.