Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Mistakenly booked Basic Economy (E) class - any possible way to change flight?

Mistakenly booked Basic Economy (E) class - any possible way to change flight?

Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Oj778
I don’t know if Im lucky or not, but I purchased Basic Economy deeply discounted airline tickets in December for April through Priceline for Delta. About 1 month ago had a 90+ min schedule change. I called Priceline to make alternate arrangements but they wouldn’t change it to the exact flights I wanted. So I called Delta, told them about the situation with Priceline and the operator “took over the reservation” and changed it to the flights I wanted without any issue (still ticketed in basic economy though).

Earlier today, got another email containing another 90+ minute schedule change. Called Delta to make alternate changes. However this time not only did he change my tickets to the times/flights I wanted but I noticed once I received my confirmation email I’m now ticketed under “main cabin” (B). I went in no problem afterwards to change my assigned seats.

Just goes to show, it’s wise to take advantage of 60+ minute schedule changes.
Nice! Good to know. If you have status, you should top the UG list with a B fare. And, you will probably earn 150% MQMs on it (but hard to say as sometimes DL's system is good at reading the original ticket info).

Another BE data point: had two pax on a BE ticket. Got to the airport early from a separate DL international ticket (had booked a 4 hour connection because had pax w/o GE, and given the shutdown at the time I wasn't sure how backed up CBP would be) and wanted to take the noon flight instead of 2 pm, as ticketed in BE.

I went to luggage drop off desk, where there was an agent and Red Coat. I started with "here is our PNR...we would like to check these bags, but we would like to take the 12 pm flight. If it's not possible with our existing tickets, you can sell us new tickets" [note: this was LAX-SFO, where the walkup fare was $58.30 that day, cheaper than the same day standby fee ha!)

The agent consulted the Red Coat, who without any prompting simply changed all pax to the 12 pm flight without charge. That was really nice of him, and I complimented him to DL (without referencing my PNR so he wouldn't get in trouble).
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:39 am

Seat Selection - Main Cabin

Hi All

I am about to book DL flights DUB-ATL with the Main Cabin (T) fare, however I wish to select (purchase) a seat if possible.

Does anyone know where I can check the prices of such advanced seat selection, I can't find published charges on the DL website anywhere.

Thank
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Oj778
I don’t know if Im lucky or not, but I purchased Basic Economy deeply discounted airline tickets in December for April through Priceline for Delta. About 1 month ago had a 90+ min schedule change. I called Priceline to make alternate arrangements but they wouldn’t change it to the exact flights I wanted. So I called Delta, told them about the situation with Priceline and the operator “took over the reservation” and changed it to the flights I wanted without any issue (still ticketed in basic economy though).

Earlier today, got another email containing another 90+ minute schedule change. Called Delta to make alternate changes. However this time not only did he change my tickets to the times/flights I wanted but I noticed once I received my confirmation email I’m now ticketed under “main cabin” (B). I went in no problem afterwards to change my assigned seats.

Just goes to show, it’s wise to take advantage of 60+ minute schedule changes.
I bet you won't get the 150% MQMs for a B fare.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by smankodal
Hi All

I am about to book DL flights DUB-ATL with the Main Cabin (T) fare, however I wish to select (purchase) a seat if possible.

Does anyone know where I can check the prices of such advanced seat selection, I can't find published charges on the DL website anywhere.

Thank
Main Cabin seat selection is included (free) if you buy a T fare.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Nice! Good to know. If you have status, you should top the UG list with a B fare. And, you will probably earn 150% MQMs on it (but hard to say as sometimes DL's system is good at reading the original ticket info).

Another BE data point: had two pax on a BE ticket. Got to the airport early from a separate DL international ticket (had booked a 4 hour connection because had pax w/o GE, and given the shutdown at the time I wasn't sure how backed up CBP would be) and wanted to take the noon flight instead of 2 pm, as ticketed in BE.

I went to luggage drop off desk, where there was an agent and Red Coat. I started with "here is our PNR...we would like to check these bags, but we would like to take the 12 pm flight. If it's not possible with our existing tickets, you can sell us new tickets" [note: this was LAX-SFO, where the walkup fare was $58.30 that day, cheaper than the same day standby fee ha!)

The agent consulted the Red Coat, who without any prompting simply changed all pax to the 12 pm flight without charge. That was really nice of him, and I complimented him to DL (without referencing my PNR so he wouldn't get in trouble).
When did you book your LAX-SFO ticket? If it was before DL announced that they were removing the Shuttle branding from it then this could be why. DL is pretty lenient on shuttle routes for changing to an earlier shuttle flight, even if you have no status.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Escape from Basic Economy?

I'm not stupid enough to buy a basic economy ticket. Sadly, corporate travel people *are*. Someone just booked me a basic economy ticket and I can't do anything about it because the bureaucracy is just too thick to fight. But I would gladly pay Delta directly the cost difference out of my own pocket to upgrade this to a normal fare.

Has anyone had any luck convincing Delta to allow this? This whole thing is so, so soooooo stupid.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL DM
Already a couple of threads on this as recently as last week.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:36 pm

Thanks, I've been searching and I've never found a thread about someone outside your control booking the ticket then trying to pay Delta to fix it. Sorry if it's a dog post, I'm looking!
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That's got nothing to do with OP's situation. That was simple a GA who stuck the passenger on a waitlist for the next flight when he should not have done so.

OP wants to upfare from BE to some other non-BE fare. To do that. he will either need to go back through his corporate travel or convince DL to take over the ticket and then reissue it into a higher fare basis and do an add/collect.

OP also needs to check with his employer to determine how it feels about this. Changes to TA-issued tickets are reported back. Whether the employer cares varies.
milohoss likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
That's got nothing to do with OP's situation. That was simple a GA who stuck the passenger on a waitlist for the next flight when he should not have done so.

OP wants to upfare from BE to some other non-BE fare. To do that. he will either need to go back through his corporate travel or convince DL to take over the ticket and then reissue it into a higher fare basis and do an add/collect.

OP also needs to check with his employer to determine how it feels about this. Changes to TA-issued tickets are reported back. Whether the employer cares varies.
There were several different scenarios in that thread. There was a case similar to OP's near the end.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:31 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by milohoss
Sorry if it's a dog post, I'm looking!
Sorry, but, what's a "dog post"?!?!?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:13 pm

Has anyone had a bad experience flying in BE? I've flown several flights in BE, and I have almost always been given a seat as good as or better than I could have selected. Other than the lack of an upgrade opportunity and the minimum miles you earn, I have found it worth the price difference.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:17 pm

Seems Delta's basic economy isn't as bad as the other carriers.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:45 am

A dog post? ... well it's smelly and brown :-)
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:46 am

Okay, so I see now in another thread that at some point Delta offers you the option to switch to Main Cabin for a fee. Does this only happen at Check In? Some other time? Right now the fare difference is a mere $50 - well worth it IMHO, but I'm guessing I won't be given the chance until it's a lot more expensive than that. Anyone know when these offers typically appear?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.