Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Mistakenly booked Basic Economy (E) class - any possible way to change flight?

Mistakenly booked Basic Economy (E) class - any possible way to change flight?

Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by jonathanbak
p.s. What exactly do medallions miss out on while flying on a BE Ticket?
Thank you
The BE seats arrive at the destination airport 2 or 3 hours later than the J seats. BE pax are given an oar and have to help row the plane. After landing, they have to clean the lavs and polish the FA's fingernails before being allowed to deplane. A totally brutal inhumane flying experience, especially for those medallions who know what the initials DYKWIA stand for. Better to upgrade to a Greyhound bus ride.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
So this is for my dad. He has a speaking engagement in March in Minneapolis and the inviting party wanted to buy him his ticket, so he told them to buy it on Delta and gave them his FF #. Well they bought a ticket through Expedia, and on top of that it was an E fare ticket.
I wouldn't presume that to be a mistake. The party may well have a lowest fare policy, and Expedia's alerts to Delta BE fares are adequate. If he has a contract that specifies cabin/carrier/fare class, perhaps he can push this back to the arranger.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:55 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
BE pax are given an oar and have to help row the plane. After landing, they have to clean the lavs and polish the FA's fingernails before being allowed to deplane. A totally brutal inhumane flying experience
Now that you have TOTALLY demeaned and insulted the international Olympic sport of rowing, and an entire vocation of manicurists and building maintenance technicians . . . .

wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RRDD
How long is the flight?
It's a 3 hr flight, GEG-MSP.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I wouldn't presume that to be a mistake. The party may well have a lowest fare policy, and Expedia's alerts to Delta BE fares are adequate. If he has a contract that specifies cabin/carrier/fare class, perhaps he can push this back to the arranger.
Well they had another fare that was main cabin for the same cost, but it left GEG at 1:45 pm instead of 7:05 am, which my dad would've actually preferred since he lives over 2 hrs from the airport.

I called delta for him, they'll change the ticket for 50 dollar change fee and 77 dollar fare increase, the BE fare was 493. I tried to see if they'd change it to the 1:45 pm flight but they said no. If they had it would've only costed the 50 dollar change fee since the fare was the same for the later main cabin flight. He does have a $100 certificate, but I don't think you can use those for changes, right?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I presume to change the flight would have cost a $200 change fee.
Or, I wonder if theyre allowing the up-fare to main cabin so the pax can earn miles, assign seat, etc., but have endorsed the ticket to still not allow changes. Kind of like how if you update from restricted to refundable, you can benefit from free changes, but the original amount of the ticket remains non-refundable.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Is it still within the 24 hours? Cancel it and start over.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:09 pm

Yes, that was what I was afraid of. Expedia claims they can't change it, my dad called them. And I was under the impression delta doesn't touch 3rd party bookings.
I had something similar happen once with Expedia, but with a hotel. I called the hotel directly and got them to agree to modify the reservation if Expedia called them and told them to do so. Then I called Expedia back, got a manager involved with the name/direct # of the hotel person. It took some time on the phone, but Expedia did modify a reservation that was supposedly nonrefundable and non changeable. They may may exceptions if you do all the leg work for them in advance.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Is it still within the 24 hours? Cancel it and start over.
Does Expedia offer free 24 hour cancellations?
Also, my experience with OTA / TA teaches me that (more often than not) OTA / TA have additional admin fees for many things on top of direct airline / hotel fees.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:56 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
This is what I don't like about booking on OTAs is they default to the "base" fare, and I'm not given any options for the regular economy fare.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by PayItForward
Does Expedia offer free 24 hour cancellations?
Also, my experience with OTA / TA teaches me that (more often than not) OTA / TA have additional admin fees for many things on top of direct airline / hotel fees.
Yes.. 24 hrs and nice button online to cancel. As someone else booked the ticket, he would need to contact them or log into the reservation and submit the cancellation request himself within 24 hr or 23:59 the next day.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alphaod
This is what I don't like about booking on OTAs is they default to the "base" fare, and I'm not given any options for the regular economy fare.
Not really true these days. The "Expedia" companies (Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Ebookers, etc.) all warn you and provide you with upgrade options to main cabin and other fares. See screenshot below. Priceline group (Priceline, Kayak, Cheapflights, Booking.com, etc) does as well, but seems to be a bit more hit and miss. I just priced a DTW-ORD itin on Priceline, and was presented with upgrade options for AA and UA flights, but not DL for some reason (although, I just retried on booking.com/Kayak and they did offer one for DL as well).

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 1, 2018 at 4:09 am
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by LBJ
Not really true these days. The "Expedia" companies (Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Ebookers, etc.) all warn you and provide you with upgrade options to main cabin and other fares. See screenshot below. Priceline group (Priceline, Kayak, Cheapflights, Booking.com, etc) does as well, but seems to be a bit more hit and miss. I just priced a DTW-ORD itin on Priceline, and was presented with upgrade options for AA and UA flights, but not DL for some reason (although, I just retried on booking.com/Kayak and they did offer one for DL as well).

They're charging a $50 premium to select seats (and get medallion benefits) on a 90 minute flight? I remember back when people said that E fares weren't that big of a medallion downgrade
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
The OP has already indicated it's been more than 24 hours since the ticket purchase.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ethernal
They're charging a $50 premium to select seats (and get medallion benefits) on a 90 minute flight? I remember back when people said that E fares weren't that big of a medallion downgrade
It was actually a roundtrip price (so $25 each way). AA is $5 extra each way and UA is $23 - $25 each way.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LBJ

I think this graphic is quite confusing for novice flyers or "kettles." What does the term "seat choice" really mean? I think select your seat in advance would be more accurate. Also, the term upgrade is nebulous and can mean many things to many different people.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.