Wiki Posts
Search

in cabin pet experience

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2016, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - Plat Medlln
in cabin pet experience

I was trying to book an in-cabin pet for my aunt. I spoke with 3 different agents and was given different information by each. They were looking up the under seat dimensions and comparing it to the size of her carrier. I purchased a new carrier based on the dimensions given by an agent and when calling to actually book the pet reservation, that agent said, sorry, your carrier won't fit.

My question is.... at check-in, is Delta now measuring the actual size of the carriers? I used to travel with a pet all the time and never had an issue as most soft carriers can be "molded" to fit under the seat.

Any and all advise is welcome....
Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:02 pm

I think ticket counter agents are required to measure the dimensions at the first point of contact if the dimensions aren't already indicated in the reservation. The USDA has requirements for kennel dimensions to ensure the animal can comfortably sit erect, stand, and turn around inside the kennel.

What are your aircraft types and booked cabins?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:15 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Widgets
The USDA has requirements for kennel dimensions to ensure the animal can comfortably sit erect, stand, and turn around inside the kennel.
Really? The US Dept of Agriculture?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by davetravels
USDA certainly regulate pets shipped as cargo (see the Delta web site).
Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by NYGabriel
I was trying to book an in-cabin pet for my aunt. I spoke with 3 different agents and was given different information by each. They were looking up the under seat dimensions and comparing it to the size of her carrier. I purchased a new carrier based on the dimensions given by an agent and when calling to actually book the pet reservation, that agent said, sorry, your carrier won't fit.

My question is.... at check-in, is Delta now measuring the actual size of the carriers? I used to travel with a pet all the time and never had an issue as most soft carriers can be "molded" to fit under the seat.

Any and all advise is welcome....
Delta actually won't make a pet in cabin reservation without the demensions of the kennel, weight of pet and kennel (together) and breed of the dog. I have never known of Delta to measure or weigh a kennel at the airport. Acceptable kennel demensions do vary by aircraft. Some CS agents have a very difficult time entering the information and you will get a call from Delta if it is not entered correctly (to fix).

Last edited by Mr. Tickets; Dec 11, 2016 at 3:44 pm
Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MADPhil
USDA certainly regulate pets shipped as cargo (see the Delta web site).
OK, but, is a pet in a carry-on considered cargo, or hand baggage?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL DM
It is considered one of your two allowable carry-ons
Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:41 pm

USDA is responsible for enforcing regulations regarding live animals being transported on commercial aircraft.

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/publications/animals.htm

The federal Animal Welfare Act is enforced by the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:43 pm

OK, but, is a pet in a carry-on considered cargo, or hand baggage?
It's an in-cabin pet and the requirements seem to be a bit vague, cargo is a whole other deal. They do not accept pets as checked baggage any more: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...trictions.html
Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil
It's an in-cabin pet and the requirements seem to be a bit vague, cargo is a whole other deal. They do not accept pets as checked baggage any more: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...trictions.html
There are some exceptions. Service animals can be checked as baggage, and pets can be checked as baggage for military passengers traveling with permanent change of station orders.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - Plat Medlln
So, its sounds like I can give Delta the size of a carrier that is smaller than the under seat dimensions. If no one is checking, I know I can "squish" my carrier under the seat (The dog can lay for hours without a problem) . I understand the process of making a reservation, but need to know if anyone at the airport will "enforce" or check what I said.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Who do you thinks in charge? Dept of Treasury?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Who do you thinks in charge? Dept of Treasury?
I never would have figured that a government agency that's in charge of crops and livestock would have any jurisdiction, or even care about a pet traveling inside an airplane cabin with a passenger going on vacation.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by NYGabriel
So, its sounds like I can give Delta the size of a carrier that is smaller than the under seat dimensions. If no one is checking, I know I can "squish" my carrier under the seat (The dog can lay for hours without a problem) . I understand the process of making a reservation, but need to know if anyone at the airport will "enforce" or check what I said.
It's a game of chance. Airlines risk being fined if they accept pets with kennels that are too small. I usually measure kennel dimensions. Many agents don't measure.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 7:01 pm

I never would have figured that a government agency that's in charge of crops and livestock would have any jurisdiction, or even care about a pet traveling inside an airplane cabin with a passenger going on vacation.
It's not clear that they care about in-cabin pets and the cargo pets may just be caught by cargo animals in general.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.