FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta One Transcon Vegetarian Meal? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1808103-delta-one-transcon-vegetarian-meal.html)

paulinias Dec 11, 2016 11:28 am

Delta One Transcon Vegetarian Meal?

I'm flying LAX-JFK in a couple of weeks and thinking about ordering a vegetarian meal. I've had pretty good luck with getting the pasta entree, but would like to order the meal so I don't have to worry about them running out (currently in row 10 on 767-400). Anyone ordered a vegetarian meal on this route recently? I don't want to get stuck with a cold hard piece of bread with cucumbers, which occasionally happens in First Class VLML.

bennos Dec 11, 2016 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by paulinias (Post 27596423)
I'm flying LAX-JFK in a couple of weeks and thinking about ordering a vegetarian meal. I've had pretty good luck with getting the pasta entree, but would like to order the meal so I don't have to worry about them running out (currently in row 10 on 767-400). Anyone ordered a vegetarian meal on this route recently? I don't want to get stuck with a cold hard piece of bread with cucumbers, which occasionally happens in First Class VLML.

I vaguely recall ordering VGML once and ending up with the usual pasta but maybe a different starter?

More recently I ordered AVML and ended up with black bean patties (but not served as a burger) and a lot of raw vegetables. Probably wouldn't order that again.

I usually don't bother with SPML on this route. I can't remember the last time they ran out of the pasta... usually they way over cater (eg something like 26 entrees for 16 seats on the 757).

BHammy Dec 11, 2016 6:55 pm

I've liked the Asian Vegetarian meals on some FC transcons just for the difference of mainstay meals ... and the curry ;)

So I thought I'd try to see what I got for breakfast one flight - ordered in advance...got a single serving box of ... wait for it... Corn Flakes! (with a big ole AVGM sticker on it)

But this wasn't LAX-JFK, much less D1.

thecortex Dec 11, 2016 7:01 pm

Veg meals are totally hit and miss domestically. Have stopped ordering the Asian Veg as have had enough cold cereal and onion sandwich experiences to know better. Curries seem to only be catered out of major stations. Otherwise it's a crapshoot.

3Cforme Dec 11, 2016 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by paulinias (Post 27596423)

Any luck searching for transcon, 'veg' in the definitive meal thread? I am mobile with impaired search tools.

jdrtravel Dec 11, 2016 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 27598066)
Any luck searching for transcon, 'veg' in the definitive meal thread? I am mobile with impaired search tools.

One of the issues with the meal thread is that a decision was apparently made to break it into smaller threads so now it is only 2016. You may have better luck searching here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...chive-242.html

I would not go back prior to 2014 or so, as I don't think that will be as accurate, but I don't think specials meals have changed all that much.

tgtg Dec 12, 2016 9:44 am

Mr. tgtg and I are both vegetarians. I can tell you that on short haul, all the vegetarian (veggie, non-dairy, Asian, Hindu) meals are cold soggy grilled vegetables on dry bread (no condiments). It is awful. Been going on for years. Not likely to change anytime soon. For some reason, they also seem to think that since we are vegetarian, the only thing we like for desert is fruit.

On transcons (and international) out of large hubs we like the Hindu meal. When it is really a Hindu meal it is outstanding. The Delta Hindu meal is always vegetarian, curry, spices, even naan (usually). Highly recommended if you like that stuff.

However, the ability to guarantee an edible vegetarian meal on DL has become less than 20%, so we have taken to ordering, but generally foregoing the pathetic excuse for food. :mad:

It is certainly not one of the highlights of our Delta experience.

-=tg=-

tgtg Dec 12, 2016 9:45 am

Originally Posted by thecortex (Post 27598047)
Veg meals are totally hit and miss domestically. Have stopped ordering the Asian Veg as have had enough cold cereal and onion sandwich experiences to know better. Curries seem to only be catered out of major stations. Otherwise it's a crapshoot.

Emphasis on *crap*

-=tg=-

jimrpa Dec 12, 2016 2:57 pm

As others have said, the VGML, AVML, VLML, etc are completely hit-or-miss. Worse, you do stand a very real chance of the meal not being catered on your flight (I had that issue several times last year. The FAs felt bad and tried hard to make up for it. Kudos to them!)

My pro tip: Board early and, as you're boarding the aircraft, right in the doorway, as you greet the FA, casually ask if the FA is the lead. They'll usually point you to the lead FA. introduce yourself and politely explain that you're a vegetarian and will be sitting in seat 6W (or whatever it is) and could they hold a meal for you. They'll definitely be accommodating and make sure that one meal is set aside for you.

Note: This assumes that you are an "easy" vegetarian and can eat one of the meals on the aircraft, as long as it doesn't have the meat on the entree. (For example, on things like the "Salmon Salad", I have no idea whether the Salmon is actually on the salad when it's loaded onboard the aircraft and they just remove the Salmon from the salad before presenting it to me, nor do I ask). I'm also ok with dairy products and egg-based products. If you're stricter, you may prefer to order a meal and, if it gets messed up, just eat around whatever you can off the tray (there's usually SOMETHING on there that's vegan-friendly, although not much), and they'll usually grab you the vegan-friendly snack box (the one with humus) from in back.

jimrpa Dec 12, 2016 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by tgtg (Post 27600325)
Mr. tgtg and I are both vegetarians. I can tell you that on short haul, all the vegetarian (veggie, non-dairy, Asian, Hindu) meals are cold soggy grilled vegetables on dry bread (no condiments). It is awful. Been going on for years. Not likely to change anytime soon. For some reason, they also seem to think that since we are vegetarian, the only thing we like for desert is fruit.

On transcons (and international) out of large hubs we like the Hindu meal. When it is really a Hindu meal it is outstanding. The Delta Hindu meal is always vegetarian, curry, spices, even naan (usually). Highly recommended if you like that stuff.

However, the ability to guarantee an edible vegetarian meal on DL has become less than 20%, so we have taken to ordering, but generally foregoing the pathetic excuse for food. :mad:

-=tg=-

I'll second the DL Hindu meal on international flights. I've even had the coach international Hindu meal and in terms of quantity and quality, it was as good as any of the michelle Bernstein crap. The only thing I missed were the Ice Cream Sundaes (this was back in the old days when the Ice Cream Sundaes were good - not the disgusting new age Ice Cream Sundaes Delta's pawning off now - yuck).

sfvoyage Dec 12, 2016 5:31 pm

For some reason, they also seem to think that since we are vegetarian, the only thing we like for desert is fruit.

This has been going on for years, on UA, AA, etc. as well. It is perplexing, indeed... and disappointing to a dessert-loving vegetarian like myself. (however, when in doubt if a dessert item may contain gelatin, I will gladly settle for some fruit.)

sfozrhfco Dec 12, 2016 7:32 pm

If food is important to your transcon experience, JetBlue Mint is the best by far. You know exactly what you are going to get:

http://www2.jetblue.com/flying-on-je..._Vegan.pdf?v=6

flyerCO Dec 13, 2016 2:16 am

-=tg=-

Desert is fruit because basically all deserts that are made by DL have dairy (egg, milk or butter) in it. It's not really cost effective to come up with a desert that complies but isn't goingoing to go bad before fully used. Fruit is considered a desert by many non-special meal ordered, thus it works and prevents added costs. My last AA flight had a plate of fruit for desert and I don't order Special Meals.

bennos Dec 13, 2016 4:42 am

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco (Post 27602909)
If food is important to your transcon experience, JetBlue Mint is the best by far. You know exactly what you are going to get:

http://www2.jetblue.com/flying-on-je..._Vegan.pdf?v=6

+1 to this, and not just for vegetarians.

jimrpa Dec 13, 2016 7:10 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 27603974)
Desert is fruit because basically all deserts that are made by DL have dairy (egg, milk or butter) in it. It's not really cost effective to come up with a desert that complies but isn't goingoing to go bad before fully used. Fruit is considered a desert by many non-special meal ordered, thus it works and prevents added costs. My last AA flight had a plate of fruit for desert and I don't order Special Meals.

Egg, milk, and/or butter would be perfectly fine on VLML trays but DL hasn't figured that out. They keep passing out that really unhealthy greasy butter substitute and I always have to ask the FA for real butter