Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta One Transcon Vegetarian Meal?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:58 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Egg, milk, and/or butter would be perfectly fine on VLML trays but DL hasn't figured that out. They keep passing out that really unhealthy greasy butter substitute and I always have to ask the FA for real butter
Agreed. They strangely will serve a pasta that is full of cheese along side other dairy substitutes.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Agreed. They strangely will serve a pasta that is full of cheese along side other dairy substitutes.
There's two types of what most call vegetarians. One just avoids the meat, the other avoids any animal product, including dairy.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
There's two types of what most call vegetarians. One just avoids the meat, the other avoids any animal product, including dairy.
Yes, and DL offers these as separate options.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Understand. The comment was about desert. Fruit works as a desert not only for both, but for non specials also. No need to created another whole special desert in that case. Use what works for everyone, fruit.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 2:46 pm

Understand. The comment was about desert. Fruit works as a desert not only for both, but for non specials also. No need to created another whole special desert in that case. Use what works for everyone, fruit.
But the point is that regular meals get a dessert (not fruit) but VLML meals get fruit, when a dessert would have been preferred by some.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 2:50 pm

VLML = ovo lacto Western vegetarian, eggs and dairy Ok

VGML = vegan, strict Western vegetarian, no eggs or dairy, and no honey in some cases
Old Dec 13, 2016, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
But the point is that regular meals get a dessert (not fruit) but VLML meals get fruit, when a dessert would have been preferred by some.
I think the point is that all SPML get fruit as the dessert - basically they have one tray setup for the SPML, so everything has to fit the lowest common denominator. Fruit works as a dessert for vegan, bland, diabetic, etc. not just vegetarian. It's also why there's margarine instead of butter, even if the special meal is a three cheese pasta.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
I think the point is that all SPML get fruit as the dessert - basically they have one tray setup for the SPML, so everything has to fit the lowest common denominator. Fruit works as a dessert for vegan, bland, diabetic, etc. not just vegetarian. It's also why there's margarine instead of butter, even if the special meal is a three cheese pasta.
Makes sense based on your comments. However, I was responding to the one above, which talked about serving fruit to 'non specials' and 'everyone.'
Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
And DL doesn't do a very good job differentiating between them. There are vegetarians (some of whom are ok with various combinations of dairy and/or eggs) and there are vegans (who are restricted to plant-based foods - I'm not sure where things like yogurt or honey stand with vegans).

The complaint I (and some other vegetarians) have with Delta is that they don't do a very good job with their VLML (Vegetarian Lacto-ovo Meals).
Old Dec 14, 2016, 9:56 pm

But there is no reason to not just use the standard dessert, and in most cases, the whole standard tray setup except for the entree. Also, I know for a fact that your theory does not always hold because I've traveled with someone when I have order the dairy vegetarian and they ordered the non dairy vegetarian and we were still given different desserts from each other.

My opinion is that they serve fruit because there is a perception that people are vegetarian for health reasons and that people who choose to eat vegetarian would prefer a healthier dessert. For me, this is actually true, though I often don't like the fruit.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sfvoyage
Makes sense based on your comments. However, I was responding to the one above, which talked about serving fruit to 'non specials' and 'everyone.'
Wrp got the point, LCD is what matters. The rest was to show that fruit can be a desert the even for non special meals. Thus it's not far fetched to use it as one across special meals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.