FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Can Amex Delta free "companion" ticket be used in Comfort Seating? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1807197-can-amex-delta-free-companion-ticket-used-comfort-seating.html)

BobMiller Dec 6, 2016 1:15 pm

Can Amex Delta free "companion" ticket be used in Comfort Seating?

maybe wrong forum to ask about Amex Delta Platinum card.

So, with this card I get one annual free "companion" ticket.

Is it really so that this can't be used with in Delta Comfort Seating?

xliioper Dec 6, 2016 1:19 pm

Nope. Main coach only and not eligible for C+ or FC upgrades.

iflyalexair Dec 6, 2016 1:21 pm

You can access the exit rows and you can treat yourself to a few 20% off boozy beverages with that shiny platinum amex of yours.

DJMeatBall Dec 6, 2016 3:41 pm

When I used my companion cert on flights last week, I did get a check-in offer to upgrade to C+ for $79 (between DTW & SFO).

ems717 Dec 6, 2016 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by DJMeatBall (Post 27574586)
When I used my companion cert on flights last week, I did get a check-in offer to upgrade to C+ for $79 (between DTW & SFO).

Did you earn miles on that fare? Mqm/mqd/rdm?

xliioper Dec 6, 2016 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by ems717 (Post 27574614)
Did you earn miles on that fare? Mqm/mqd/rdm?

The paid passenger gets miles/MQM's/etc., the companion does not. The paid passenger does not have to be the companion pass holder.

miraclebear2003 Dec 6, 2016 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 27574735)
The paid passenger gets miles/MQM's/etc., the companion does not. The paid passenger does not have to be the companion pass holder.

You don't get any MQMs for purchasing C+. If fact, doesn't the check in purchases not get anything?

Bowgie Dec 6, 2016 6:20 pm

Previous Replies are Correct

Wife and I both have our own Delta Amex Platinum cards for the sake of the MQD waiver. I can confirm:

1. The designated companion gets no miles.
2. No free upgrade to C+ ever, but one can select exit rows in C-.
3. Not a true BOGO because taxes are still due for the companion.
4. If there are empty seats in first after all upgrades and all non-rev's clear into first *and* if the gate agent and the gods smile upon you, then you might be upgraded to first. (Happened once on SAN-LAX.)

mnbp Dec 6, 2016 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bowgie (Post 27575160)
4. If there are empty seats in first after all upgrades and all non-rev's clear into first *and* if the gate agent and the gods smile upon you, then you might be upgraded to first. (Happened once on SAN-LAX.)

Yes, it can happen. You and companion cannot be added to the upgrade list, the computer simply won't allow it. However, GAs can assign any passenger any seat. It's the latter how this can happen.

Bowgie Dec 7, 2016 1:46 am

Originally Posted by mnbp (Post 27575266)
Yes, it can happen. You and companion cannot be added to the upgrade list, the computer simply won't allow it. However, GAs can assign any passenger any seat. It's the latter how this can happen.

Which explains why the agent called us up to podium for our new boarding passes instead of letting the machine spit out new seat assignments.

flyerCO Dec 7, 2016 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Bowgie (Post 27576485)
Which explains why the agent called us up to podium for our new boarding passes instead of letting the machine spit out new seat assignments.

The machine can still print out the slip with new seating. It's just the agent has to process it manually, thus normally will print a new BP as part of that process.

cmx Dec 8, 2016 4:53 am

I dropped my card because unless you get a gate agent who is feeling nice, you're sitting in C- no matter what. Almost no medallion benefits.

curl Dec 8, 2016 9:47 am

Full on coach for both of you on companion ticket offer. I've called and asked and no-go on even C+ upgrades. Best to use on short but expensive routes.