Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta BKK-PVG-LAX-PHX via FM840 Shanghai Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta BKK-PVG-LAX-PHX via FM840 Shanghai Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2016, 3:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I think you're confusing TBIT or T6 for T4. Only AA operates out of T4. Any flight that comes in before T5 CBP is open goes to either T6 if open and gate available or TBIT which has 24/7 CBP.
Or you get the worst of both worlds and the flight arrives at T5 but you're bussed to TBIT. This was the routine for the HND-LAX flight.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Or you get the worst of both worlds and the flight arrives at T5 but you're bussed to TBIT. This was the routine for the HND-LAX flight.
Luckily that shouldn't be happening anymore. Both the time and access to gates have changed.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 4:42 am

Programs: DL, HH
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
Humm, I go through PVG maybe 8 times a year. I have yet to encounter the "horrors" you allude to. Is it on par with SIN or NRT? No, but it is not that bad.
Seems like 75% of the time I'm at a remote gate that is a 10 minute bus ride away. Long lines and dealing with MU when your flight gets delayed also make it a bad experience. So maybe not the worst, but they have a long ways to go.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Striple
Seems like 75% of the time I'm at a remote gate that is a 10 minute bus ride away. Long lines and dealing with MU when your flight gets delayed also make it a bad experience. So maybe not the worst, but they have a long ways to go.
Those 10 minute bus rides typically negate a 10 minute walk.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I think you're confusing TBIT or T6 for T4. Only AA operates out of T4. Any flight that comes in before T5 CBP is open goes to either T6 if open and gate available or TBIT which has 24/7 CBP.
Maybe but on exiting there was a 4 above the door and I was told to turn right to get to T5 which made me go all around the "U" or cul de sac and go to T5 opposite. I did go through passport control, turn right after baggage/customs check, push my trolley up a couple of sloped, bumpy ramps to get to the baggage re-check drop off zone. No Delta employees or counter, there was an Aeroflot counter I recall, but non-Delta with scanners, agent at T5.

I thought one thing was cool, I got an alert that each of my bags had been loaded onto my PHX flight while in the lounge before boarding.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Powers106
Maybe but on exiting there was a 4 above the door and I was told to turn right to get to T5 which made me go all around the "U" or cul de sac and go to T5 opposite. I did go through passport control, turn right after baggage/customs check, push my trolley up a couple of sloped, bumpy ramps to get to the baggage re-check drop off zone. No Delta employees or counter, there was an Aeroflot counter I recall, but non-Delta with scanners, agent at T5.

I thought one thing was cool, I got an alert that each of my bags had been loaded onto my PHX flight while in the lounge before boarding.
I can say for certain because of the ramp described that was TBIT. The doors all have numbers, you just happened to go through one numbered 4. You exited, turned right, walked past T4, and arrived at T5.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
I just did the BKK-PVG-LAX last week. At BKK, the China Eastern counter is U...near entrance door 10. This is also where the VAT refund booth is located. The counter opened at 11:05 for the 13:35 departure. I was 3rd or 4th in the Sky Priority line and was there before they opened. I was checked in, through security and in the lounge by 11:43.

My wife & I were the 1st two people off the plane at PVG. There was no bus. We arrived at gate 27 and had a long walk. Follow the red arrows on the floor. They asked where we were coming from and when we said "Bangkok" they instructed us to go to the right and use the self-service machines. Many other US citizens behind us were instructed to do the same. There where 7 or 8 machines and at least two of them were not functioning properly. Once we made it through there it was clear sailing. Used the China Eastern lounge near gate 36. After leaving the lounge and walking to our LAX flight, we passed the AF/KLM lounge. The China Eastern lounge is huge and two levels. Only beer was Tsingtao cans. Not much food that I was interested in eating.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Back in PVG again making a connection from NRT - DEL. Of the 7 self-service machines, only 3 were in operation today. Noodles in the downstairs half of the lounge are excellent.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: DLPlat;AA,BA,US
May I suggest you consider booking the BKK-PVG-BKK as a round-trip ticket in BUSINESS Class on either China Eastern or China Southern. I have done this and find that their round-trip Business fare in the $475-550 range. One way is approx $375. Same for PEK.

Then book a DL ticket to your US destination...there are great fares from PVG and PEK to the USA. I've bought DL coach tickets in the $600-700 roundtrip fares fm CVG and PEK.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by travelerjim
May I suggest you consider booking the BKK-PVG-BKK as a round-trip ticket in BUSINESS Class on either China Eastern or China Southern. I have done this and find that their round-trip Business fare in the $475-550 range. One way is approx $375. Same for PEK.

Then book a DL ticket to your US destination...there are great fares from PVG and PEK to the USA. I've bought DL coach tickets in the $600-700 roundtrip fares fm CVG and PEK.
MU also normally has great J fares to PVG/PEK/few other Chinese cities. Just flew YYZ/PVG/PEK RT after conversion to USD $2000. Add on the BKK segment and it can be a steal.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:16 am

My MU NRT-PVG-DEL was US$800 one way in J. I was actually afraid my travel agent made a mistake. No lie-flat seat on the A330 though.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
I took FM840 then China Eastern across. I thought it was the worst airline I've flown. The OP is right about food. I've never been to prison but I assume that's what the food is like. I was in J and all the food was 100% rotten on all legs. Very bad service, pilots smoking and PVG is a stinking dump ! I mean it smells like a trash dump. Avoid MU/FM. You will not be happy in any class of service
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by aero0729
I took FM840 then China Eastern across. I thought it was the worst airline I've flown. The OP is right about food. I've never been to prison but I assume that's what the food is like. I was in J and all the food was 100% rotten on all legs. Very bad service, pilots smoking and PVG is a stinking dump ! I mean it smells like a trash dump. Avoid MU/FM. You will not be happy in any class of service
When did this happen. Last six months food has become lots better. Great? NI, but even DL isn't great.

As for smoking, I've flown MU frequently TPAC and haven't had any smoke smell in last year or two. MU has pushed to eliminate things like that and it's starting to show. New lounges at PVG, renovated terminal at PVG, bags transferring, better ground handling, no smoking on planes, etc... MU is not the airline it has been. Does it still have a bit to go? Yes. However I'm getting tired of these stories repeating old issues with MU. Part of the reason DL was brought into MU was to help improve MU.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
@flyeco

4 legs on MU/FM smoke the entire way. Non stop chain smoking.

Food - if this is better I have no clue what it was like. The food I received made me sick to smell it. When I tasted it I almost vomited. It really is rotten.

The only thing good about MU is the seat. I don't mind if the food isn't gourmet. Or the service isn't polished. But service stunk, planes were smoked up, food was inedible
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by aero0729
@flyeco

4 legs on MU/FM smoke the entire way. Non stop chain smoking.

Food - if this is better I have no clue what it was like. The food I received made me sick to smell it. When I tasted it I almost vomited. It really is rotten.
When?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.