Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How friendly is DL with mis-connects from other airlines?

How friendly is DL with mis-connects from other airlines?

Old Dec 7, 16, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
I have personal experience in a situation where a cross-airline-partner connection on separate tickets went awry. I was booked SEA-ORD on an AS ticket, and then ORD-AMS-IST on a separate KL 074 ticket. The AS flight was delayed, causing me to not be able to join the ORD-AMS flight on KL.

AS coordinated with DL staff in SEA, and a compromise was reached - DL took control of my ticket and allowed me to rebook onto SEA-AMS-IST. I had to pay the additional fare collection for the SEA-AMS-IST itinerary on the order of $750/person, but Delta waived the change fees and allowed me to book a V fare (even though it was day of departure), making the additional collection painful but not disastrous.

That was a miserable day of travel and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but I did find there was some level of agent discretion (at least regarding waived change fees) even though they weren't obligated to accommodate me. To be fair, though, at the time the DL/AS/KL relationship was a stronger one... I'd expect less generosity in an EK situation.
Old Dec 7, 16, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does the typical frontline DL agent or first level supervisor hate EK as much as certain DL top executives do?
Old Dec 7, 16, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This thread went sideways with bad terminology. OP is not connecting anywhere. One may only connect between segments of a single ticket. Anything else, including multiple tickets in a single PNR is not a connection. None of the carriers mentioned in the OP offer protection across separate tickets, even in a single PNR.

If OP no shows for a departure, his ticket will be cancelled and it will retain whatever value it has under the fare rules of that ticket. Anything else is at the mercy of the onward carrier and that is a matter of finding the right agent with the correct knowledge and seniority as well as access to inventory.

This may be a series of tickets where insurance is worth the cost. But, read the policy in detail before purchasing. Few policies cover transits between tickets or at least few will purchase an entirely new ticket. So, be careful that you are not reading "connection" when you have separate tickets.

"Buy America" suggests that this is some form of official travel under a USG contract or somesuch. If this is the case, won't the contractor or USG agency be responsible for getting you back to the US if this crazy itinerary does not work out? Your route is hardly infrequently traveled these days and whatever agency is involved must confront no show / cancelled tickets routinely. Perhaps it has some escalation contact with which it deals.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: