Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Shanghai Pudong (PVG) lounge questions...

Old Nov 21, 16, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond

I flight from Shanghai Pudong (PVG) airport in 2 weeks,

I try to find informations about the lounge there but it is a little "confusing"...

I flight main cabin (Y),
It is a Delta flight (PVG-DTW)
I have a flying blue cards (Platinum), skyteam E+.

On Skyteam website, it is no lounge.
On Delta web site , they say no lounge (Shanghai PVG, are in the list of 3rd party lounges), and (Y) did not have access.

It is no lounge access for Delta customer in a so big airport (Shanghai) ???

Thanks for any feedback.
Old Nov 21, 16, 9:03 am

Programs: Delta PM, IHG Spire
The lounges there are all partner lounges...so if you only get access to Skyclubs - you are probably out of luck.

Really, the lounges I have been to at PVG with Delta access have been dumps with crappy wifi. You aren't missing much.
Old Nov 21, 16, 9:52 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FBplatinum View Post
I flight from Shanghai Pudong (PVG) airport in 2 weeks,

I try to find informations about the lounge there but it is a little "confusing"...

I flight main cabin (Y),
It is a Delta flight (PVG-DTW)
I have a flying blue cards (Platinum), skyteam E+.

On Skyteam website, it is no lounge.
On Delta web site , they say no lounge (Shanghai PVG, are in the list of 3rd party lounges), and (Y) did not have access.

It is no lounge access for Delta customer in a so big airport (Shanghai) ???

Thanks for any feedback.
There are China Eastern lounges at PVG that you have access to as a STE+ flying internationally in Y. They're not great, but they're fine. When I checked Delta.com, this is what it told me:

Pudong Intl (PVG)
Shanghai, China
Terminal 1, Next To Gate 17 & 18
PARTNER LOUNGE
Airport Lounge #37

IIRC, China Eastern is working on a new lounge at PVG. It may be open. It's supposed to be a fair bit better than what we had before.
wxman22 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 16, 9:55 am

Programs: DL G, UA G, IHG SA
Yes you have lounge access as STE+, DL used to use the airport lounge 37. MU just opened their new flagship lounge in T1 which is quite good. Not sure if DL has switched to it or not.
wxman22 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 16, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yeah, the problem seems to be that DL has not consistently updated the information since switching terminals at PVG. In the former terminal, DL used a third party contract lounge. Now there's a partner lounge available operated by MU. I suspect there's also a CZ lounge, but it's likely to be worse. I know I've used a CZ lounge at PVG before a CZ domestic flight.
Old Nov 21, 16, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Yeah, the problem seems to be that DL has not consistently updated the information since switching terminals at PVG. In the former terminal, DL used a third party contract lounge. Now there's a partner lounge available operated by MU. I suspect there's also a CZ lounge, but it's likely to be worse. I know I've used a CZ lounge at PVG before a CZ domestic flight.
CZ flights were out of T2 when I was there last month.
Old Nov 21, 16, 3:45 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
CZ flights were out of T2 when I was there last month.
So you're saying that before the terminal move, DL paid for the third party contract lounge rather than sending passengers to the CZ lounge? If so, it must be viewed as somehow much worse than the MU lounges.
Old Nov 21, 16, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
So you're saying that before the terminal move, DL paid for the third party contract lounge rather than sending passengers to the CZ lounge? If so, it must be viewed as somehow much worse than the MU lounges.
I don't even know if there's an actual CZ lounge. Just pointing out that CZ operates in a separate terminal. No way to use a CZ lounge (if there is one) when flying DL.
Old Nov 21, 16, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
I don't even know if there's an actual CZ lounge. Just pointing out that CZ operates in a separate terminal. No way to use a CZ lounge (if there is one) when flying DL.
CZ has sent me to their CZ lounge at PVG when departing on a domestic CZ flight. I don't know what terminal it was, but it didn't seem close to the area DL had been using at PVG, either for check in or gate space. OTOH, I don't think China separates domestic and international departing passengers at PVG, but I could be wrong and I might have been in a totally different area of the terminal, although I had assumed that CZ used the same check in counters for their domestic and international flights.
Old Nov 21, 16, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
There are a bunch of lounges in the terminal where the DTW flight departs. You should have access to the one of the MU-operated lounges as a SkyTeam Elite+ (or perhaps *the* MU-operated lounge if the new one is open and they shut down all the tiny ones - this was not the case a couple months ago).

But as others have said, most of the lounges there really aren't that great. Only one has showers, but I was able to get a hall pass from my "assigned lounge" to go down to lounge with the shower, only to be told I had to leave immediately after my shower. And this was connecting from DL J to MU J!
Old Nov 21, 16, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
There are a bunch of lounges in the terminal where the DTW flight departs. You should have access to the one of the MU-operated lounges as a SkyTeam Elite+ (or perhaps *the* MU-operated lounge if the new one is open and they shut down all the tiny ones - this was not the case a couple months ago).

But as others have said, most of the lounges there really aren't that great. Only one has showers, but I was able to get a hall pass from my "assigned lounge" to go down to lounge with the shower, only to be told I had to leave immediately after my shower. And this was connecting from DL J to MU J!
That's pretty bad. Who is then entitled to use the lounge with the showers? Did it otherwise look so much better that MU had to protect it? I would have been tempted to try to stay by insisting that SkyTeam rules allow any SkyTeam partner operated lounge and not just one particular lounge that they can choose.
Old Nov 21, 16, 5:57 pm

Programs: Delta, United, AA, Jet Blue .... Whichever is Cheapest
36 and 39 MU Lounges Now Open

I flew on Saturday from PVG on a DL code share flight using MU metal. Lounge 36 was quite nice, except internet kept cutting out. Otherwise, not bad. Nice food and drink selection. Plenty of outlets.

Make sure you get your "lounge access" card when checking in for your DL/MU flight. I'm not sure about DL/XX flight access.
Old Nov 21, 16, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
That's pretty bad. Who is then entitled to use the lounge with the showers? Did it otherwise look so much better that MU had to protect it? I would have been tempted to try to stay by insisting that SkyTeam rules allow any SkyTeam partner operated lounge and not just one particular lounge that they can choose.
Both lounges I visited were pretty equal (and not good) aside from the one having a couple shower stalls. When you check in you are told what lounge to use, I assume it's their way of balancing capacity across all the small lounges. They also make departure announcements only in the lounges that relevant flights are assigned to.

After showering, we actually ended up going upstairs to the Priority Pass lounge. It wasn't really any better, but it was more open to the terminal and thus didn't feel like a dungeon, so that was good. Thankfully our flight started boarding soon after.
Old Nov 21, 16, 7:15 pm

How does the PP lounge compare to the upstairs and also open contract lounge, also PP IIRC, in the other terminal that DL used to use at PVG?
Old Nov 22, 16, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by jrkmsp View Post
TIIRC, China Eastern is working on a new lounge at PVG. It may be open. It's supposed to be a fair bit better than what we had before.
It is open. Decent place. Access to it is via escalator between the two banks of security screening stations.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: