Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Shanghai Pudong (PVG) lounge questions...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shanghai Pudong (PVG) lounge questions...

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 8:25 pm

PVG Terminal 1 China Eastern Lounge 36 update, 9 May 2018:
I am flying Business Class return to ORD as a Delta DM, traveling with work associate ‘Andy’ with no status flying Coach.Found this thread waiting in the standard security line looking for intel on where the expedited security line was. Wish I had thought to look for intel sooner. From the thread above, the VIP security line is on the far right end of the security check area. I cant verify as I was already too deep into the normal line to move.Lounge 36 is to the right as you exit the security check. Access control: (1) There was an employee managing access control in the main departure hall prior to the escalator up the the lounge. Although I had a lounge access pass provided to me when I obtained my boarding pass, Andy had none. I was able to convince the employee at this initial control point that I had guest priviledges based on my Delta status, showed him my iPhone app, etc...He let us in.(2) The main reception desk. 3 Employees scanning boarding passes and collecting lounge access passes. I told them Andy was my guest, I am a DM etc. An employee stated that they would take my Skymiles number and call and verify my status. She took number, placed a call and verified. Took 30 seconds and I was verified and they let me and Andy in without further delay.Lounge: As previously stated, lounge is two levels. There is a stark contrast between the two levels. Level one is crowded and reminds me of a bus station cafeteria. Tiled floor, mostly tables and chairs set up for eating. There is a hot food area with Chinese style food. It is hot and humid from the steamy food cooking going on in the open-style kitchen area.Level 2 is carpeted, nice lounge furniture, lots of alcoves/areas, AC blowing cool air everywhere, and not crowded at least during my stay: Wednesday from 9-11am. Same beverage as level one but no hot food; go downstairs for that. Access to level 2 is via a slightly obscure escalator. DONT TELL ANYONE ABOUT LEVEL 2.
pfreet and RumPatrol like this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:37 pm

Flying from MU economy from CKG to PVG and then DL D1 from PVG to LAX. Would I be able to access the VIP security/immigration lines and lounge without obtaining a pass, but with a boarding pass that shows D1?
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by adioman6000
Flying from MU economy from CKG to PVG and then DL D1 from PVG to LAX. Would I be able to access the VIP security/immigration lines and lounge without obtaining a pass, but with a boarding pass that shows D1?
The BP is all that is needed. If you don't have a lounge invite, they'll simply fill one out at the lounge for their records. Security and immigration only care about BP.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
If you originate from PVG, they will expect you to have lounge pass, which is printed automatically at check-in. If you connect at PVG, they usually check your incoming flight BP...then you can pass the security guard... When you get to the lounge, show them the incoming flight BP and they will verify your status and you can go in... If you originate from PVG and you dont have a lounge pass, they will call if you look like you dont speak Chinese but they will complain to the agent on the phone as to why you don't have lounge pass. I don't know the exact arrangement but airlines bill (offset) each other for their pax's lounge cost, so they take those lounge pass very seriously

I suspect most non-Asian would not try the noodle bar on the 1st floor but it's quite authentic. I think MU made a very smart move with the noodle station, it's very authentic Shanghainese cooking, with all the proper toppings, but it's actually not costly at all to produce - definitely one of the best airport lounge noodle station.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by adioman6000
Flying as Skyteam Elite+ in economy earlier this year with a connection in PVG. I just gave the desk agent my boarding pass and elite card. It took a few minutes of them checking it and calling people, but I got in without trouble. The lounge pass wasn't needed.

Presumably you'll have your DL boarding pass on your phone. Just show that to them, they'll scan it, and it'll show SkyPriority. You shouldn't have a problem.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Plat, Lifetime Skyclub
Current status of PVG lounges

Anyone have current recommendations on the best choice for lounge access at PVG? I am flying out of HKT on Shanghai Air on a Saturday, arriving in PVG at 6:15AM, and have about a 4 hour layover before taking DL to DTW. (I think this will mean I'm in Terminal 2, but I'm not absolutely sure.) I have STE+ status as well as Priority Pass. From the discussion above, it sounds like No. 36 Lounge or No. 77 would be the best options, but any up-to-date info would be helpful.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Delta goes out of Terminal 1 at PVG. There is a very large China Eastern lounge just past security in T1.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by DL-Don
Delta goes out of Terminal 1 at PVG. There is a very large China Eastern lounge just past security in T1.
I agree.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:38 pm

DL-Don and FBplatinum, thanks for the terminal info. The online info about where Delta flies out of was a little unclear. One additional question though: it sounds like the China Eastern Lounge is pretty easy to find, but since I'm there for 4 hours is there a (subjectively) "better" lounge it may be worth looking for?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by travelhive
but since I'm there for 4 hours is there a (subjectively) "better" lounge it may be worth looking for?
I believe there are multiple MU lounges, including one near gate 17 that opens at 4:30 am. If this is the one I'm thinking of it is relatively nice -- two floors, lower floor has hot food and tables and can be pretty congested. Upstairs (escalator) has more comfortable seating, much less crowded and sandwiches, fruit,etc. but no hot food. Staff did a pretty good job of keeping chairs/tables upstairs cleared and clean, at least while I was there. Toilets are clean and serviced frequently as near as I could tell.
I was there from opening at about 4:30 am through about 10 am and on the return from about 5 pm through 8 pm.
Also several priority pass lounges according to the directory but I didn't wander around as I was comfortable in the MU lounge.
DL-Don likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:02 pm

Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Originally Posted by mot29
I believe there are multiple MU lounges, including one near gate 17 that opens at 4:30 am. If this is the one I'm thinking of it is relatively nice -- two floors, lower floor has hot food and tables and can be pretty congested. Upstairs (escalator) has more comfortable seating, much less crowded and sandwiches, fruit,etc. but no hot food. Staff did a pretty good job of keeping chairs/tables upstairs cleared and clean, at least while I was there. Toilets are clean and serviced frequently as near as I could tell.
I was there from opening at about 4:30 am through about 10 am and on the return from about 5 pm through 8 pm.
Also several priority pass lounges according to the directory but I didn't wander around as I was comfortable in the MU lounge.
I visited this lounge in early December and agree that the upstairs lounge is much less crowded. And, it was also a lot cooler! Not sure why the downstairs lounge was so hot. Maybe an A/C issue. Also, I don't think there were any alcoholic beverages upstairs either.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by arkangel
I visited this lounge in early December and agree that the upstairs lounge is much less crowded. And, it was also a lot cooler! Not sure why the downstairs lounge was so hot. Maybe an A/C issue. Also, I don't think there were any alcoholic beverages upstairs either.
at least in mid-Dec, there were some wines and spirits in the upstairs lounge.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
I visited PVG MU lounge at T1 international 2x in Dec, actual lounge is consistent with Bear4Asian pics. Downstairs is a long room with food choices at the far end. VERY busy. 1st floor food station's morning selection featured hot rice dishes, typical US breakfast (eggs/bacon) some US snacks (cheese, salad) and a noodle/soup station. Fairly tasty. Upstairs is MUCH quieter (virtually empty) with very limited cold food (snacks) but had liquids (soft drinks and liquor). Internet was fine, no drops..just frustrating to log in (instructions are not clear and I had to flag down an agent to get a password).

Perfectly serviceable way to pass time during a layover. It's just too bad that the shopping options are TERRIBLE in that terminal. Seemed like 10 duty free stores selling the same US makeup/candy/spirits, a handful of stores selling the same overpriced silk scarves and ties, and nothing else.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:12 am

navi_jen, thanks for the additional info. Not looking forward to 4hours+ in PVG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.