Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bags Checked all the way Through?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2016, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Bags Checked all the way Through?

We're flying XXX (domestic)-ATL-AUA on a single PNR.

XXX-ATL arrives at 9:30 pm.

ATL-AUA departs the following morning at 10:30 am.

Will my bags be checked all the way through, or will I need to collect them in ATL and recheck them in the morning? Need to know for carry-on packing purposes for our overnight in ATL.

Thanks.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Rule 116 from the international contract of carriage says bags won't be checked thru.

Connection Time Exceeding Four Hours
Passengers making connections to the first available Delta flight departing from an intermediate point may reclaim their baggage at the intermediate point if the connection exceeds six hours, but is less than twelve hours. If the connection time exceeds twelve hours, the passenger must reclaim his baggage at the intermediate point.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: DL GM
We make regular trips with a similar itinerary through ATL to BON (Bonaire), one of Aruba's nearby sister islands. You will need to claim your bags upon arrival in ATL and check them in again the next morning for your flight to AUA.

If not already aware it's also worth noting that ATL has separate domestic and international terminals at opposite ends of the airport. Upon arrival from your domestic leg you'll claim your bags at the domestic terminal. The next morning you'll check them in at the international terminal for your flight to AUA.

Most airport area hotels only offer shuttle service to the domestic terminal. The airport offers free shuttle service from domestic to international terminals, but our preference is to spend $20 for a cab ride directly from our hotel to the international terminal. The extra expense is worth avoiding the inconvenience of lugging our bags around through all the free shuttles required to get from hotel to international terminal.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Do they REALLY refuse to check your bags at the T end? I've seen many Aruba and Caribbean flights depart from many different ATL concourses (including T).
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WWGuy
We make regular trips with a similar itinerary through ATL to BON (Bonaire), one of Aruba's nearby sister islands. You will need to claim your bags upon arrival in ATL and check them in again the next morning for your flight to AUA.

If not already aware it's also worth noting that ATL has separate domestic and international terminals at opposite ends of the airport. Upon arrival from your domestic leg you'll claim your bags at the domestic terminal. The next morning you'll check them in at the international terminal for your flight to AUA.

Most airport area hotels only offer shuttle service to the domestic terminal. The airport offers free shuttle service from domestic to international terminals, but our preference is to spend $20 for a cab ride directly from our hotel to the international terminal. The extra expense is worth avoiding the inconvenience of lugging our bags around through all the free shuttles required to get from hotel to international terminal.
You've can check in at either end. True even in reverse. Then take the subway train to other end.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:33 am

I'd also say, that it's better to get your bag then to leave it for so long.

They definitely won't have a cart assigned for the ATL/AUA flight when you land, so your bag will be set off to the side with the best intentions of getting it on your flight in the morning.

But then it's a new shift of people, and something gets set in front of it, or any of a dozen other things, and then it's forgotten until you get to AUA and file a claim, and then someone in ATL has to go look for it, and there is only one ATL/AUA flight a day, so you're missing it for a minimum of 24 hours after you get to AUA.

That's before we get to the potential for someone going through your bag for valuables
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You've can check in at either end. True even in reverse. Then take the subway train to other end.
Thanks. That's good to know. I've heard of people doing this previously but could never get a DL employee at the airport to tell me it was permissible. For a long time the FAQ on ATL's airport page said passengers were supposed to use their designated terminals. I just checked the FAQ again and that statement has been removed. (Now they don't address the topic at all.)

FWIW the ATL-BON flight is usually only once a week so we we've never felt brave enough to risk any possibility that our precious scuba gear might not make our flight.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Thanks. That's good to know. I've heard of people doing this previously but could never get a DL employee at the airport to tell me it was permissible. For a long time the FAQ on ATL's airport page said passengers were supposed to use their designated terminals. I just checked the FAQ again and that statement has been removed. (Now they don't address the topic at all.)

FWIW the ATL-BON flight is usually only once a week so we we've never felt brave enough to risk any possibility that our precious scuba gear might not make our flight.
Yes, it's all connected underground. FYI they'll put your bags on another airline. Even if has to go through S. America to get it there.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Always take your regulator and computer as carry on. Everything else you can rent if necessary.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:57 pm

After my previous post I did locate the following in this FAQ on the ATL website:

Q: Can I still check in for international flights at the domestic terminal?
A: Passengers traveling outside of the United States should check in at the international terminal. Contact your airline for specific check-in requirements.

Q: Can I check in for domestic flights in the international terminal?
A: Passengers flying within the United States should check in at the domestic terminal. Contact your airline for specific check-in requirements.

Originally Posted by Pharaoh
Always take your regulator and computer as carry on. Everything else you can rent if necessary.
Always do. I carry the essential dive gear in my carry on and my wife carries essential clothing and toiletries in hers. We've been doing regular dive travel for 20+ years.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Yes, it's all connected underground. FYI they'll put your bags on another airline. Even if has to go through S. America to get it there.
Thanks. I'm familiar with ATL layout and the underground "Plane Train". I regularly travel domestically through ATL for work and internationally a couple of times a year for dive travel.

We've been visiting Bonaire regularly for 18 years. The only air access to the island is via weekly direct flights from the USA or puddle jumpers on local carrier via Curacao. There are no flights to BON from South America on any airline. When luggage goes missing on inbound flights from the USA it sometimes arrives in time for the return flight a week later, and sometimes not. The USA carriers (DL and UA) do well in getting it on subsequent flights into the area but sometimes the next flight isn't for a few days. After that everything slows way down to island time. Additionally the 3rd party island hoppers only put missing luggage on their planes when space is available, which isn't often during peak travel season.

Our luggage contains clothing, food items, gifts for local friends, and our bulkier dive gear. Our reason for checking in for international flights at the international terminal in ATL is to do whatever we can to increase the odds of our checked luggage arriving on the island in our aircraft. The intent of my previous post was to recommend the same to the OP.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

As for your comment on checking in. Delta doesn't care. I don't know of other airlines that operate both domestic and international departures. However at least DL has no issue.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 10:27 am

After my previous post I did locate the following in this FAQ on the ATL website:

Q: Can I still check in for international flights at the domestic terminal?
A: Passengers traveling outside of the United States should check in at the international terminal. Contact your airline for specific check-in requirements.

Q: Can I check in for domestic flights in the international terminal?
A: Passengers flying within the United States should check in at the domestic terminal. Contact your airline for specific check-in requirements.

Always do. I carry the essential dive gear in my carry on and my wife carries essential clothing and toiletries in hers. We've been doing regular dive travel for 20+ years.

Thanks. I'm familiar with ATL layout and the underground "Plane Train". I regularly travel domestically through ATL for work and internationally a couple of times a year for dive travel.

We've been visiting Bonaire regularly for 18 years. The only air access to the island is via weekly direct flights from the USA or puddle jumpers on local carrier via Curacao. There are no flights to BON from South America on any airline. When luggage goes missing on inbound flights from the USA it sometimes arrives in time for the return flight a week later, and sometimes not. The USA carriers (DL and UA) do well in getting it on subsequent flights into the area but sometimes the next flight isn't for a few days. After that everything slows way down to island time. Additionally the 3rd party island hoppers only put missing luggage on their planes when space is available, which isn't often during peak travel season.

Our luggage contains clothing, food items, gifts for local friends, and our bulkier dive gear. Our reason for checking in for international flights at the international terminal in ATL is to do whatever we can to increase the odds of our checked luggage arriving on the island in our aircraft. The intent of my previous post was to recommend the same to the OP.
You could always get rerouted thru AMS...and get there the next day...lol.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 6:15 pm

You won't encounter any problems checking in for AUA at the domestic terminal. There's no need to take the shuttle over to the international terminal just to check in for your flight. We checked in last year for BGI and earlier this year for NAS at the domestic terminal - no issues at all.

Will you be overnighting in Atlanta on your return from AUA? If so, be aware that your checked bags will be sent to the baggage claim in the international terminal. If you'll be using a hotel shuttle that only serves the domestic terminal, you'll have to take the airport shuttle from the international terminal to the domestic side hauling your bags with you on the airport shuttle. Once you claim your bags at international, you won't have access to the underground train in ATL since you'll be outside security at that point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.