Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How early can you drop bags for a domestic flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How early can you drop bags for a domestic flight?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2016, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Given that connections can be up to <24 hours, seems as if it is possible to check a bag that far in advance. So it is likely to be station dependent. They probably won't check bags if there are any gaps in staffing at non-hubs.

Personally I think it is a higher risk of lost or delayed baggage to early check, but can't provide hard evidence as such.
Really it's only same day. I'm not aware of anywhere that let's you check a bag at the airport the previous day. The exception being for redeyes right after midnight.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Just to report back: I checked my bags at the curb between 1230 and 100 for a 530 flight. No one batted an eye. The flight ended up being delayed until almost 7, and despite there being intervening flights, the bags flew with us. They were among the first bags off with the other SkyPriority bags. All in all, it was a great system I fully intend to utilize more when traveling with the family.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Flying OGG-LAX tonight at 10:20 PM. Can I check in bags at around 7 PM (3.5 hrs pre flight)?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:23 pm

I know this is a special situation but in FLL on the weekend (maybe Sunday only?), you can't check luggage earlier than 2 hours before flight time. Because of all those cruise passengers... 2 years ago anyway.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Thanks. I got in touch with DL and was told 6 hours before is ok.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
I’ll be flying into MIA at around 2:00 am on a Wednesday and then flying out around 2:30 pm that same day on Delta. Has anyone tried checking their bag early at MIA lately? I know the official rule is either 4 hours or 6 hours, but I’d like to check the bag ASAP after arrival so I can get back airside for a quick lounge shower and/or leave the airport for a while without needing to haul around my bag. (I know not to tell the agent that I’m leaving the airport.)

Don’t believe I’ve flown Delta out of MIA in at least 10 years, so no idea how things work there. Thanks.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by joe_miami
I’ll be flying into MIA at around 2:00 am on a Wednesday and then flying out around 2:30 pm that same day on Delta. Has anyone tried checking their bag early at MIA lately? I know the official rule is either 4 hours or 6 hours, but I’d like to check the bag ASAP after arrival so I can get back airside for a quick lounge shower and/or leave the airport for a while without needing to haul around my bag. (I know not to tell the agent that I’m leaving the airport.)

Don’t believe I’ve flown Delta out of MIA in at least 10 years, so no idea how things work there. Thanks.
There won't be any Delta checkin agents at that hour.

Who are you flying in on? If they interline with Delta then you could have them tag your bags to transfer to DL .
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyerCO
There won't be any Delta checkin agents at that hour.

Who are you flying in on? If they interline with Delta then you could have them tag your bags to transfer to DL .
I’m flying in on Copa, so no interline possibility. Any idea what time Delta’s counters open at MIA? Googling didn’t yield an answer. Thanks.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
First flight of the day is MIA - ATL at 6am, SC opens at 5am. Would bet counters open around 4-430
Widgets likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I’m flying in on Copa, so no interline possibility. Any idea what time Delta’s counters open at MIA? Googling didn’t yield an answer. Thanks.
I looked it up, CM and DL interline. I would ask when checking in with CM. Worst they'll say, no. However it's is possible for them to do so, its a matter of if they're willing to actually do it.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I looked it up, CM and DL interline. I would ask when checking in with CM. Worst they'll say, no. However it's is possible for them to do so, its a matter of if they're willing to actually do it.
Interesting; thanks very much. I found the list; Copa has a huge list of non-partner interline agreements.

I neglected to mention that my Copa and Delta flights are on separate tickets. I know, from Delta’s site, that they’ll only interline on separate tickets to a short list of airlines, but I can’t find Copa’s two-ticket baggage interline policy. I’ll head to the Copa forum for that.

If anyone happens along and knows what time Delta’s counters open at MIA, please post. Thanks again.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Interesting; thanks very much. I found the list; Copa has a huge list of non-partner interline agreements.

I neglected to mention that my Copa and Delta flights are on separate tickets. I know, from Delta’s site, that they’ll only interline on separate tickets to a short list of airlines, but I can’t find Copa’s two-ticket baggage interline policy. I’ll head to the Copa forum for that.

If anyone happens along and knows what time Delta’s counters open at MIA, please post. Thanks again.
I figured they were separate. I know DL will even sometimes chrck through to those not on their list. However I have no idea about Copa policy on bags across tickets. I haven't flown them since NW and them were partners. However they do have a lengthy post on their website avout interline bags and it doesn't mention any restrictions.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:54 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Just FYI, the whole point of interlining is because of separate itineraries. If they weren’t separate tix there’s no need to interline. All bags would be checked to destination automatically.

Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TheHorta
Just FYI, the whole point of interlining is because of separate itineraries. If they weren’t separate tix there’s no need to interline. All bags would be checked to destination automatically.

Airline ticketing and airline baggage agreements are two separate things. You could get a ticket with VA, CI, and AF flights on it. However you can't check baggage through as VA and AF have no baggage interline agreement.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Just for future reference, Delta's counter opens at 4:30 am at MIA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.