Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would Delta start a DeltaOne lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
That's not a lounge, it's the checkin waiting area for D1.
I used it as a lounge during the August meltdown when I assumed that the SC would be impossible. I didn't mind the lack of alcohol and just wanted some peace and quiet until my flight was boarding. The dragons didn't seem to mind.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 12:39 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
1)Oneworld Sapphire never got Flagship lounge access. Only Oneworld Emerald offers access to IFC clubs. Is there something you can point to from AA that says J will get Flagship access?
Yes, from here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ge-updates.jsp

"We're giving all our Flagship® Lounges an updated look, including the 3 we're adding to new cities. Starting in spring 2017, lounge access will be expanded to customers booked in Business and First Class on A321T, Trans-Atlantic, Trans-Pacific and deep South American flights."
Old Nov 20, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
Yes, this is the problem. Lots of people are special snowflakes and don't like having to share a mac and cheese trough with commoners who got in by paying $450 for a credit card. They want their own special mac and cheese trough.
Hey, I resemble that remark
Old Nov 20, 2016, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
Most non-US airline business class lounges are quiet places where you can get actual work done. Sky Clubs are no longer business lounges in any sense of the word but loud feeding and drinking facilities.
This is not really my experience.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Is there something you can point to from AA that says J will get Flagship access?
Right Here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ge-updates.jsp

Originally Posted by Often1
DL doesn't market an international F product so it is hard to see a lounge product which is generally targeted at that demographic.
Neither will UA, Polaris is their J product. The Polaris Lounges are specifically for people in business on UA and Partner's flights.
And again, AA's lounges are going to be for both J and F pax, so again thats beside the point.

Originally Posted by lking
They have one -- at LAX
If you read about the AA Flagship lounges and UA Polaris Club, you would know the D1 check in at LAX is not comparable.

I think DL will have to follow suit. the newer SkyClubs are nice enough, but if both AA and UA are going to be giving their J pax made-to-order meals and a proper free bar, thats a huge knock on DL's product in comparison.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by lking
FlyerCO and davetravels, I stand corrected. But...now I am really bummed out, because a few minutes ago, I cleared on some GUCs that I reluctantly waitlisted for yesterday, out of LAX, for a flight Thursday. (all of that drama is posted on a couple other threads of late regarding C+ and also use of GUCs).

So...I at least thought I was going to be able to experience what I thought was a Delta One lounge, since I've seen it many times, but never passed through the hallowed doorway.

Oh well, I'll survive. Maybe.
I mean... You still get to sit up front on the plane, right?

At least the actual LAX SC is one of the better ones. Not great or the best, but as far as domestic US airline lounges go...
Old Nov 20, 2016, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by pbarnette
This is not really my experience.
Mine either. Where are these mythical quiet lounges you speak of?

Cramped and lousy lounges exist all over the world. IME, the only thing that helps is when a lounge is large enough to have a separate quiet area, or when you happen to hit it at an off hour when there aren't as many guests there.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 1:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Agremeister
I think DL will have to follow suit. the newer SkyClubs are nice enough, but if both AA and UA are going to be giving their J pax made-to-order meals and a proper free bar, thats a huge knock on DL's product in comparison.
The AA pre-flight dining is only for F, not J, at least per the announcements. Polaris, depending upon what it looks like fully rolled out may require a response, but I don't think the Flagship lounges, at least as consitituted today, changes much competitively for DL; maybe DL should consider a couple of drink coupons, but otherwise the Flagship lounges aren't terribly appealing.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gooselee

Cramped and lousy lounges exist all over the world. IME, the only thing that helps is when a lounge is large enough to have a separate quiet area, or when you happen to hit it at an off hour when there aren't as many guests there.
The latest contender for most pathetic lounge I've yet experienced is the JL SFO lounge. I've seen bus stations that are more pleasant.

FWIW, the AF lounges at CDG tend to be quiet and uncrowded. The food is meager, which is tough as dining options in the airport are poor, and the drink selection is pretty lousy, but the lounges tend to be spacious and uncrowded, owing at least partly to there being so many.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gooselee

Sadly the small quiet zone in the MSP F/G SC was eliminated about a year ago. One day around Christmas I noticed that the sign disappeared and hasn't been seen in there since then. It was bad enough when the nice cubicles were removed......
Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:53 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
The AA pre-flight dining is only for F, not J, at least per the announcements. Polaris, depending upon what it looks like fully rolled out may require a response, but I don't think the Flagship lounges, at least as consitituted today, changes much competitively for DL; maybe DL should consider a couple of drink coupons, but otherwise the Flagship lounges aren't terribly appealing.
Having spent more than my fair share of time in AA's Flagship lounges I'd agree with this assessment. They're not much better than a lot of DL's SCs.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 7:06 am

Where would these lounges go? I'd assume they'd be needed at JFK & ATL at a minimum.

Would they build a separate JFK skyclub for long haul D1 pax? And if so, where would they put it. T4 is huge and there's no method to gates so its practically worthless if you're flying TATL out of 20 and the lounge is at 36.

ATL might make a little more sense if they turned E or F into a dedicated D1 lounge.

Knowing the setup of MSP and DTW I dont know where they could add space for a dedicated J lounge. As for CVG/SLC/LAX/SEA is there really even enough long haul traffic to warrant this?

Don't get me wrong, going to the JFK T4 skyclub in the late afternoon/early evening is chaotic as everyone with an amex platnium is trying to pregame for their flight. I just dont know where they could put the space.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The latest contender for most pathetic lounge I've yet experienced is the JL SFO lounge. I've seen bus stations that are more pleasant.

FWIW, the AF lounges at CDG tend to be quiet and uncrowded. The food is meager, which is tough as dining options in the airport are poor, and the drink selection is pretty lousy, but the lounges tend to be spacious and uncrowded, owing at least partly to there being so many.
Yes, I really do like the int'l AF lounges at CDG. The "park area" in 2E-M seems like an odd idea at first, but is a very nice place to relax in between flights.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 7:43 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat

The only time I recall visiting an AF Lounge and finding it quiet was on a Saturday at 2:00 pm before a 4:00 PM departure. But between 6-11 am and 6-10 PM they can be as crowded and annoying as any SkyClub.

Also, although there are many, normally you can only visit the one corresponding to your concourse (unless departing from 2F but then it doesn't make sense to use the lounge in 2F1 when departing from 2F2).
Old Nov 21, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by injera
Where would these lounges go? I'd assume they'd be needed at JFK & ATL at a minimum.

Would they build a separate JFK skyclub for long haul D1 pax? And if so, where would they put it. T4 is huge and there's no method to gates so its practically worthless if you're flying TATL out of 20 and the lounge is at 36.

ATL might make a little more sense if they turned E or F into a dedicated D1 lounge.

Knowing the setup of MSP and DTW I dont know where they could add space for a dedicated J lounge. As for CVG/SLC/LAX/SEA is there really even enough long haul traffic to warrant this?

Don't get me wrong, going to the JFK T4 skyclub in the late afternoon/early evening is chaotic as everyone with an amex platnium is trying to pregame for their flight. I just dont know where they could put the space.
Since there is a mix of domestic and international flights at both E and F, turning a lounge into a D1 lounge would create a lot of angry customers. They would have to build a new lounge somewhere. The current E lounge is quite roomy and they do serve upgrades snacks and hot food.

I haven't been to JFK in about 4.5 years, and I flew out of T2, and DL wasn't really using T4 then.

CVG has like one flight to Europe, so no. SLC has a few flights and they are building a new airport. That could happen.

The new SEA lounge is nice enough and large enough to act as a D1 lounge. The food is actually pretty good there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.