Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Splitting the Reservation when both have equal status?

Old Nov 19, 2016, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold

So Mrs. Yogimax and I are both Platinum. This means we are the big losers in this new system of companion upgrades. Though both Platinum, companions of Diamonds and some other Platinums will now move ahead of both of us even though they may have no status at all. Unfair? Sure, but there's nothing I can do about it.

So here's my question. Should we split our reservations? If we are linked together and only one seat is available, what happens? If we are on the same reservation does that seat go to one of us or do we get totally passed by? I think we are basically equal in status since we are always listed one after the other on the upgrade boards.

To split or not to split, that is the question!
Old Nov 19, 2016, 8:41 am

Splitting your reservation will help with upgrades at the 5 day window if there's only one seat available. Staying in the same reservation shouldn't affect your chances on the day of departure because gate agents will usually ask you if you want to split.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
Also, I never get upgraded if there are only a few seats open at the diamond window. If there are only 1-2 seats open, I have to wait to see about a gate upgrade.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Both have to be upgraded when on one PNR. If only 1 seat available then it goes to next passenger on list by self, even if that's a lower status passenger.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
My wife and I have always been the same and fly on the same prn in case of changes. If we haven't told the GA that we don't want to split they always ask us and we decline. Have made people happy and one time they sent drinks back to us (pre C+).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.