Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why do people ever fly Delta (serious question)

Old Nov 14, 16, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold

I have been rotating Silver-Platinum on United and no status on American. I just booked a flight on Delta, $3K+ for wife and I, in economy RT Europe. Could have booked with code share partners, could have booked on OneWorld or no alliance. Randomly picked booking through Delta's website.

They won't grant seat assignments now unless I pay an extra fee? I mean c'mon. Firstly, this isn't even a Delta flight. Secondly, the flights are 60% empty. Thirdly, this is just spitting in my wife & I's eye.

I asked colleagues what they thought of Delta (white collars, who travel often, but not enough for plat status etc.) and they all said negative - albeit ambiguous - things about Delta.

Upon googling, Delta has the worst brand reputation of all the airlines as well.

I for one, will never fly Delta again unless its the only option. There is something about decency and trust, and Delta clearly doesn't have any or care about passengers (on website and email I am encouraged to call for seat assignments -- no where on booking did it say I would NOT BE ALLOWED to book a seat assignment unless I paid a fee -- obviously I wouldn't have booked then).

I'm assuming now that the only people who proactively fly delta are (I) hostage to its hubs, and (ii) fly enough to get status where they don't care as much about 70% of the customer base (volume wise, not revenue wise).

I have never come across - anecdotally - anyone who says "Delta is better than United or American".

So yes, this is a rant. but there is a genuine question for those of you who are flying Delta all the time. Why do you fly Delta?
Old Nov 14, 16, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton, Marriot, and Melia Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
If you paid 3k each for Economy, you made a big mistake to begin with.
Old Nov 14, 16, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Uhh... unless I'm missing something, you're not even flying Delta... and yes, many European airlines charge seat reservation fees. Air France, KLM, Virgin Atlantic, British Airways, Lufthansa...

And I bet that if you had clicked on the seat assignment link during booking, you were presented with language like this:

This flight is operated by our partner, KLM, and the seat map for this flight is not available. After purchasing your flight, select your seat by visiting My Trips. Fees for seat selection may be applicable based on class of service, frequent flyer status, or days to departure.

Last edited by javabytes; Nov 14, 16 at 8:26 pm
Old Nov 14, 16, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.94 MM; HH Diamond
1) If you just booked the flights, you can cancel and get a refund up until midnight or so tomorrow.

2) Pretty sure DL does not have the worst brand reputation of US airlines. Not sure where you saw that. My googling (?) showed others such as United and Spirit lower.

3) I'm not saying Delta is any better than the other big 2 for a non-status passenger, but I don't think they are any worse.

As always, YMMV.

P.S. And as javabytes says above - it seems you booked via DL website but aren't flying on Delta???

Last edited by TommyD2; Nov 14, 16 at 8:17 pm Reason: add PS
Old Nov 14, 16, 8:27 pm

Programs: Marriott LTPP, UA Silver (via Marriott), WN CP, Choice Platinum
Your issue is with the operating carrier, not Delta. Delta doesn't charge for (or have any control over) seat assignments for other airlines, even if they sell tickets for them through an alliance and/or JV agreement.
Old Nov 14, 16, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
Uhh... unless I'm missing something, you're not even flying Delta... and yes, many European airlines charge seat reservation fees. Air France, KLM, Virgin Atlantic, British Airways, Lufthansa...
BA (Oneworld) charge $$$ for seat allocation in business class, unless you have mid-high tier status
Old Nov 14, 16, 8:30 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by thesaints View Post
If you paid 3k each for Economy, you made a big mistake to begin with.
^This

Back to the OP's question- I fly Delta because I hate delays, and they seldom fly barbie jets out of my home airport. In the rare instance I check bags, they beat me to the carousel, and I'm generally one of the first to deboard...
Old Nov 14, 16, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL ops are far superior to either UA or AA. many people fly DL because they don't wan't to fly AA or UA, or "LCCs" such as Southwest, Spirit, Frontier, etc.
Old Nov 14, 16, 8:33 pm

Programs: Delta and Hyatt
Originally Posted by shanshan View Post
I have never come across - anecdotally - anyone who says "Delta is better than United or American".
Are you SpongeBob and live under a rock?

I would say Delta consistently ranks on multiple surveys as a top airline in the US.

I can't figure out how to get a $3k coach fare from a small US city to a small European city - why not use google.com/flights to look up a trip if you don't care about alliance or airline?

I am not hostage to Delta, I made the mistake of flying American once this year and ended up on their oldest A321 and flew United once and my flight was delayed and missed my connection (big surprise).

At the end of the day I fly Delta for relatively consistent hard/soft product, on-time performance, minimal travel time for my routes, and knowing that when I finally have enough Skypesos to get a Delta PJ card, they will quietly raise the amount needed the day before I redeem!
Old Nov 14, 16, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
I fly UA because I think the award redemptions are better and I have more history with UA as a 1K for a couple years then Plat and now Silver.

I've started to fly DL because on balance it has the best onboard product, nicest FAs, and on-time and more importantly it's incredibly consistent which can't be said about the other two.

I no longer fly AA (former EXP and before that 1K) because it's become US with a different name.

And WN - haha no.
Old Nov 14, 16, 8:39 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by shanshan View Post
They won't grant seat assignments now unless I pay an extra fee? I mean c'mon. Firstly, this isn't even a Delta flight.
For any number of reasons I call BS on this post. But this one catches me, if your trying to secure a seat on another airline booked through DL....talk to that airline....
Old Nov 14, 16, 8:45 pm

Who is the operating carrier? Call delta and get the 6-digit confirmation number for that carrier and you may be able to assign a seat through their website or try calling for seat assignments.
Old Nov 14, 16, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, FlyingBlue Gold, Global Entry
Not sure where you found Googling that DL has the worst brand reputation among US airlines, because of the Big 3 US airlines DL has consistently ranked tops for several years now.

Also, just quickly looking around, the consensus view of DL around FT is definitely overall positive, especially compared to AA and UA.

Anecdotal but: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...spectives.html
Old Nov 14, 16, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL/UA
Delta is the only American carrier that services MNL plus i was a NW customer. Well i do like to connect with ANA with United. You paying 3k+ for you and your wife RT to Europe? Something is clearly wrong there.
Old Nov 14, 16, 8:48 pm

Programs: Delta PM
OP is asking why people on the DL forum fly DL as a serious question but I think the serious question is what is OP hoping to accomplish with this thread, except to rile up the forum. While certainly not harsh in tone, the tone still suggests that OP's mind about DL has been made up before even starting the thread to ask the question and the answers any of us provide about why we choose DL won't serve to change the OP's mind.

Originally Posted by Youngmiler View Post
Are you SpongeBob and live under a rock?
Spongebob lives in a pineapple.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Nov 14, 16 at 8:58 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: