Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why do people ever fly Delta (serious question)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do people ever fly Delta (serious question)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:23 am

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
Originally Posted by shanshan
Upon googling, Delta has the worst brand reputation of all the airlines as well.
You must not know how to google: http://bfy.tw/8m1U
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by thesaints
If you paid 3k each for Economy, you made a big mistake to begin with.
Where did OP state 3K EACH. I would assume it was 1500 each for 3K total which sounds about right depending on where they were going and what season.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Start_at_UIN
You must not know how to google: http://bfy.tw/8m1U
I have a feeling they know how to Google very well. At least well enough to get wanted results.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
Probably a quick Google search for "OMG delta is the worst airline ever" produces the types of results OP found.

The Internet is great for looking up answers you already know.
This is the echo chamber age...online you can find confirmation bias...ergh....I mean reputable sources that will support exactly what you already believe....anything that contradicts your previously held beliefs is simply trash unworthy of your time and probably fake anyway.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:58 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by thesaints
If you paid 3k each for Economy, you made a big mistake to begin with.
Exactly!
Old Nov 15, 2016, 8:26 am

Well, I have flown all three airlines this year along with F9 and Spirit (not to mention Indigo and a few other random carriers).

They all have their issues. Every single carrier I dealt with has quirks and rules that were agitating. Delays, seat issues, service problems and aircraft appearance all showed up to some degree or another on every flight with every carrier.

I get where the OP is upset with DL due to policies - DL was much better back when they had to compete harder for customers. The other airlines are pretty much the same though - less competition means more reduction in perks for those of us who are HVF to the airlines.

I like DL, and I will probably stay with them for the foreseeable future. I am going to hit my MM mark next year. I have no illusions though - I held status on UA and AA at one point or another and it is really only laziness that keeps me loyal. There was not that much difference between the airlines. I will say the DL people are awsome during IROPS, but I am diamond and likely do not see what the OP sees. If I was 100k /platinum Exec or whatever on the other airlines I bet I would similar experiences.

I tend to think the airlines are moving solidly to a revenue-based model where margin on a passenger trumps everything. At that point I think most of us are generally in trouble as we tend to pick the lowest cost flight within reason.

Lately I have been taking Spirit/F9 or whatever because the schedule was fine and it was much cheaper. Yes, there are a few delays and often the flights are horrible (passengers on these airlines are NOT frequent flyers). The major carriers forced this though - shrinking network and higher costing tickets along with reduced perks for those of us who travel all the time make it very difficult to stay loyal to a brand. And why should anyone? If DL/UA/AA is not going to reward us for going out of our way to use them then they should expect to see some level of commodity applied to their product.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
For the network and reliability. I fly DL for the nonstops to SLC during ski season, alternative to LUS CLT for easy access to Florida (when B6 nonstops are too expensive) and to TLV.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Why do I fly DL?

I like to fly on a clean airplane, arrive on time, with my bags.

I have flown 140K this year and while I'm sure I had a delay here and there, I can't really remember one. My bag has made it 100% of the time.

I have not even had my normal 1-2 misconnects and spend the night in ATL this year. Basically everything has been perfect.

A couple of years back I developed my hatred of AA; 3 trips, misconnected bags on all three trips despite plenty of time in DFW, and one invol on an expensive ticket that was purchased six months in advance and had a seat assignment and checked in online. Oh, and no help with rerouting.

UA is my overflow but I have to tell you it's pretty bad. DL's RJ product is MUCH better than either UA or AA.

Seating can be a problem on partners but there are ways around it. And I have had zero problems with KL/AF this year on seating. Suggest OP try the operating carrier for seats; but it sounds like the only thing left may be priority seating in which case you will have to wait until departure or pay.

Last edited by dilbertsdaddy; Nov 15, 2016 at 8:59 am
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:02 am

Delta could turn the responses on this thread into a commercial.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I am 1MM DM on DL and 1MM EXP on American and a former 1K on UA (based in ORD/FLL) so I think I have a pretty good perspective the big 3. From my perspective DL wins on almost every front:

1. Best on-time performance of the major carriers
2. Fewest cancellations of the major carriers
3. Consistent and predictable hard and soft product
4. Consistency even when you fly the regionals
5. Generally pleasant, professional staff
6. Better hubs (except for LGA/JFK)
7. Clubs have better food and liquor
8. Management of IRROPS and ability to reroute when it hits the fan

Where DL fails:

1. Award redemption (the worst)
2. FF alliance (ST is the worst of the three)
3. UG availability - AA is better for this.
4. AA offers warm nuts and everyone likes their nuts warm.

AA has devolved to being US with a new livery. Their staff are miserable and are constantly complaining. My last four flights were ALL delayed by hours. Their product is a mess and their regional carriers are a joke. UA is...well it's UA...it just sucks on all accounts.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy

UA is my overflow but I have to tell you it's pretty bad. DL's RJ product is MUCH better than either UA or AA.
As someone who lives in Podunk, this is a big issue for me. Delta is a mix of mainline 717s and bigger RJs. United goes down to an Embraer 135 locally. (And when you stand up and managed to hit your face with an open overhead bin door on a 135 and it's not even one of the five most unpleasant things about that trip-airline wise, it's not a good sign)

Bigger jets also mean more available seats for award redemption. For all the jokes about Sky Pesos, Delta is actually pretty good about low level award availability from where I live to where I want to go. Compared to United, where that first barbie jet leg makes everything reprice out to a standard award ticket, no matter how many available saver seats are on the long haul segment of the route.

American is not quite as bad as United from my home location, but I kind of hate the Charlotte airport and I generally only use them when I'm trying to burn some gift cards.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I used to fly DL, for the better part of a decade, despite being an ORD native. Delta was reliable. Friendly staff. Better upgrade prospects than AA or UA.

There's no doubt Delta runs a fine operation. From on-time performance to baggage handling, it's a well-oiled machine. I left Delta almost exactly one year ago because they started to think altogether too much of themselves and their product, and that was reflected in a series of customer-unfriendly changes over the last year or two, especially ones directed at Medallions.

Yes, United and American are following in some of these areas. But the key word is following. United and American are lemmings, not able to really innovate on their own. Delta is figuring out exactly how hard they can tighten the screws, and pioneering what air travel will look like in the United States in the future. I did not want to be at the forefront of the race to the bottom. Moving over to American means being shielded from Delta's experiments... at least for a year or two.

And the reality is that as much as everyone has a favorite, if you look at their core business - getting people from A to B - all 3 legacy airlines do a fine job. They are within several percentage points in on-time performance, and the reality is that hundreds of millions of people every year trust all three of them to transport them where they need to be.

I've found no material difference in my ability to get where I need to be on time. I've found better upgrade prospects on AA recently than DL... yes, the sticker model is different, but I was able to get hub-to-hub upgrades on Friday red-eyes as the equivalent of DL Gold, which rarely would happen on DL as of late. Getting Main Cabin Extra for me and companions is no problem... even booking close in. I have much more certainty about how many miles will be needed for award travel.

Last edited by javabytes; Nov 15, 2016 at 10:13 am
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: SkyMiles Diamond, Mileage Plus Gold, Marriott Platinum
I have flown 72 segments in 2016 and I have been on time in all but 3-4 of those flights. And those were a few minutes late. My bags have made it 100% of the time and the ability to track bags on the APP is a great feature. The in flight entertainment is a nice feature as well. I can watch movies or live TV during my flight for no cost. The ability to watch live sports in the air is fantastic.

When flights change Delta does a good job of alerting with me with a text and re-booking me or allowing me to re-book myself from the App.

My biggest concern is arriving on time and with Delta I have been very satisfied with that.

The availability of upgrades with Delta is limited. I am Platinum and rarely am upgraded to first class. I do get upgraded to Delta Comfort 70-80% of the time. I will be anxious to what extent first class upgrades will improve once I achieve Diamond status.

Last edited by dzuspann; Nov 15, 2016 at 9:45 am
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:40 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
My JFK-ORY flight in Air France this past sunday reminded me why I fly DL as much as I can. I guess I got used to TATLs in the nice DL A330s with wifi, great food even in Economy and great flight attendants, and somehow was expecting the same in AF
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: Numerous
Why fly DL? Because they fly direct from MAN to ATL thus avoiding the hell that is LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.