Wiki Posts
Search

MQD waiver clarification

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2016, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
MQD waiver clarification

If I spend $25,000 on a Delta AMEX in January 2017 and then cancel the card prior to the end of the calendar year, would the spend still fulfill the MQD waiver for medallion qualification?
Old Nov 9, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by kamadzu4
If I spend $25,000 on a Delta AMEX in January 2017 and then cancel the card prior to the end of the calendar year, would the spend still fulfill the MQD waiver for medallion qualification?
Yes
Old Nov 10, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Make sure your MQD's post to delta before you cancel the card.

IME the waiver takes 1 -2 weeks to post.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by mridley2
Make sure your MQD's post to delta before you cancel the card.

IME the waiver takes 1 -2 weeks to post.
And IME the bonus MQM and RDM take even longer than the waiver to post. I'd wait for both mileage bonuses to post before cancelling the card.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
I am curious too... How is the 25K spending calculated? Per calendar year, or card anniversary year?
Old Nov 10, 2016, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Per calendar year based in when the charges post, not the date of the transaction. Returns in the new year can lead to benefits being clawed back.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 9:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Per calendar year based in when the charges post, not the date of the transaction. Returns in the new year can lead to benefits being clawed back.
If I remember it is when account posts and the miles transfer over from the bonus miles on the AMEX?

I don't remember it doing it as every purchase posted. Could be wrong.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 1:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
If I remember it is when account posts and the miles transfer over from the bonus miles on the AMEX?

I don't remember it doing it as every purchase posted. Could be wrong.
For the MQD waiver, DL seems to update the bar graph about once a week. However, I was answering whether this goes by the calendar year and trying to stress that it's the posting date that matters for charges around NYE.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Yah. Wasn't questioning that. Apologies if it came odd that way.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL DM
Can anyone who has done this recently confirm that if you meet the MQD waiver and then cancel the card later in the year that the MQD waiver still qualifies for status that year?

My situation is that I have had the Delta Gold AmEx for a while. I signed up the Delta Reserve AmEx this year to get the welcome bonus. The AF for the Gold AmEx is due in December, and I'd like to cancel before the AF is due. Spend from both cards is counting toward my MQD waiver, but I have at least $25k in spend on the Reserve card alone. With that, I think I shouldn't have any issues if I cancel the Delta Gold card (since even if they say the spend on the Gold card don't count, I'd still meet the spend requirement with the Reserve card) , but I've heard or weirder things happening to folks and missing status because of it.

Do I cancel it or just pay the Annual Fee this year and keep it at least until status is granted just in case?
Old Oct 4, 2020, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
As long as there's no returns after closing the card (reducing year spend to under 25k) you'll be ok. There's no need to keep card all year
tardyturtle likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 4:38 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
isnt the spending now $250k?
Old Oct 5, 2020, 4:46 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
isnt the spending now $250k?
It's only $250k for DM waiver purposes. For FO/GM/PM, $25k spend remains sufficient to waive the MQD requirement.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.