Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

HND (Haneda) arrivals/layover lounge options

Old Oct 31, 16, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1MM

All,

Search was not conclusive, seeking input:

I'm arriving DeltaOne into HND then have about a domestic ANA flight about 4 hours later. I am DM, possess Amex Plat, Chase Platinum Reserve, and Priority Pass.

Are there any viable lounge options for which I won't need to pay extra? If not, anyone have recommendation on best value choice among the various paid lounges I'll have access to? I'm reasonably sure that my ongoing ANA flight is out of Terminal 2.

Shower would be a tiebreaker but not as high priority as general comfort for the layover.

Thanks, FT bretheren
Old Nov 1, 16, 8:37 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
There are no PP lounges at HND. There are shower rooms in the HND International arrivals hall, but as you mentioned, these are not free.

HND's NH domestic lounges aren't that great (they don't serve full meals, only drinks and otsumami). You can, however, pay to get in. (~3000, I think)

There are other lounges you can pay to get into. The Airport Lounge cost 1020; this is usually free for Japanese premium credit card holders, but it's basically an open room with a soft drink machine. https://www.tokyo-airport-bldg.co.jp/airport_lounge/
Old Nov 1, 16, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
What is DL using for the lounge in HND? From looking at the skyclub page, it mentions the TIAT lounge... however isn't that a contract lounge so you have to be in D1 to get in?

DL needs a solution for SC members to access a lounge in HND. Dumping traffic over there and having no/limited lounge access is quite crappy. Is the contract lounge even up to the NRT SC level?
Old Nov 1, 16, 9:31 am

Programs: Turkish E+, Alitalia Freccia Alata Plus
The ANA Lounge is great. And they have showers.

If DL put you on a connecting ANA flight, I think you should be able to use the ANA lounge even though it's *A. And certainly if you're flying first on the way there, and connecting to first on ANA, you'll get access to the lounge.

Wait, but if it's a domestic ANA flight, then you'll go to the domestic lounge which is sort of ok. If I remember correctly, there is an arrivals lounge for ANA, and SkyTeam uses it.
Old Nov 1, 16, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
What is DL using for the lounge in HND? From looking at the skyclub page, it mentions the TIAT lounge... however isn't that a contract lounge so you have to be in D1 to get in?
There was this thread about temporary access:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ccess-hnd.html

But unclear if that was targeted at GM+ or something.
Old Nov 1, 16, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by rylan View Post

DL needs a solution for SC members to access a lounge in HND. Dumping traffic over there and having no/limited lounge access is quite crappy. Is the contract lounge even up to the NRT SC level?
DL uses the TIAT (Tokyo International Air Terminal) Lounge, which I think is actually better than the NRT SCs in terms of food, atmosphere and spacing. There are showers, hot food, alcohol and soft drinks.
Old Nov 1, 16, 12:46 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
If you are in D1 cabin, or DM, PM and GM status, you get access to TIAT lounge when departing (and arrival for D1). If the check-in agent refuse, ask for their manager, Japanese guy. If he refuse, show him the new benefit for HND and call Medallion desk to complain.

DL uses most contractors at HND because just the 1 flight in/out per day. The manager is a DL employee but he is a jerk!!! He is in the pockets of ANA. In all my interactions with him, he always try to sell me to go ANA while wearing DL's uniform - it's ridiculous. I was on an oversold flight, he asked me to get bumped and put me on an ANA flight and offer lounge access as comp. I said no and he said I am not being nice, which I said I have another connecting flight in LAX which he claim he can't see. When he found out I fly to Japan very often, he told me that I should fly ANA because newer planes, more flights per day into the US and even direct flight into my home city of SJC. I was shocked to hear a Delta employee try to sell for a competitor!

Last edited by wlau; Nov 1, 16 at 12:52 pm
Old Nov 1, 16, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Departure lounge access is a D1 standard. How many of Delta's D1 destinations (I won't bother to this them all on six continents) have arrival lounge facilities?
Old Nov 1, 16, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1MM
I ended up just using airport lounge for Y1020 in Terminal 2. I didn't see a way to get to TIAT since my onward flight (not sold by delta, booked separately by me) was departing from T2.

The lounge wasn't epic or anything, but it felt worth 1020 for somewhere nice and quiet to sit for a couple of hours - slightly nicer than the terminal.

For future reference, was there some way to get to the TIAT lounge without an international onward flight? Customs dumped me into arrivals lobby.
Old Nov 2, 16, 11:32 am

Programs: Delta PM, ICH PLAT
Regarding flying DL and TIAT lounge - I believe you have to be invited... i.e. you need to get a invitation card from check-in counter. If you need to argue your status and access, you need to do so at the DELTA counter. A few years ago, I was denied with PLAT status (flying award ticket in coach)

Also unfortunately, the DELTA counter opens within ~4 hours of a flight, so don't show up too early hopping to check-in and get in the lounge.
Old Nov 2, 16, 3:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
HND station sucks... Other stations in Asia countries with one flight in/out per day are much better. For example, in TPE, the China Airlines staff does check-in and they automatically give you a pass to the China Airlines lounge for your status or class, with no fuss at all. They even thank you for your Delta business. HKG is also very good, you are entitled to go to the SkyTeam lounge with just your boarding pass, no lounge pass needed. PVG is most OK as well. HND is rudest of the bunch, always want to argue about every little thing. NRT is always very nice, polite and helpful.

I hope Delta refresh the staff at HND, or HND route will bring a lot of unhappy customers.
Old Nov 2, 16, 3:22 pm

I have used DL at HND about 30 times since they began service and I've never experienced bad service from the staff there, contract or otherwise.
Old Nov 2, 16, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride View Post
I have used DL at HND about 30 times since they began service and I've never experienced bad service from the staff there, contract or otherwise.
If you travel during heavy holiday seasons, with a lot of oversold, they will become instant jerks to get you to give up your seat. These people also don't know Delta policies very well. Heck, you have to remind them to tag your luggage priority. They are simply not very good at what they do.

The other thing you forgot to mention is that up til recently, the HND flight arrives close to 11PM. If there is any delay in arrival, it becomes god awful hours and many hotel buses are stopped and even the Keikyu line slows down its service frequency. You might be closer to the city center, but it's not much easier to get a ride out when it's very very late.
Old Nov 2, 16, 3:49 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by chunky649 View Post
Regarding flying DL and TIAT lounge - I believe you have to be invited... i.e. you need to get a invitation card from check-in counter. If you need to argue your status and access, you need to do so at the DELTA counter. A few years ago, I was denied with PLAT status (flying award ticket in coach)

Also unfortunately, the DELTA counter opens within ~4 hours of a flight, so don't show up too early hopping to check-in and get in the lounge.
DL only recently started offering access to the TIAT to DL ElitePlus members. Unless you flew prior to May 2014, you would not have been entitled to access if you were flying coach as that is when they dropped third party lounge access for ElitePlus members.
Old Nov 2, 16, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by wlau View Post
If you travel during heavy holiday seasons, with a lot of oversold, they will become instant jerks to get you to give up your seat. These people also don't know Delta policies very well. Heck, you have to remind them to tag your luggage priority. They are simply not very good at what they do.

The other thing you forgot to mention is that up til recently, the HND flight arrives close to 11PM. If there is any delay in arrival, it becomes god awful hours and many hotel buses are stopped and even the Keikyu line slows down its service frequency. You might be closer to the city center, but it's not much easier to get a ride out when it's very very late.
I've used HND during plenty of US and Japanese holidays, including Golden Week, Christmas, Obon, new year's, during the busy season and during downtime. I have never, ever experienced the bad service you are describing. My bags were always tagged with priority tags. I always got lounge coupons when entitled. I've spoken to the staff in English and Japanese. I just cannot agree with your characterization of the HND DL staff.

I've never missed the final train at HND. One person I know who did because DL lost his bag was comped a taxi ride. That's another anecdote I have about good service from DL at HND.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: