Delta/AeroMexico Seat Selection

Old Oct 25, 16, 2:39 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Programs: Delta
Posts: 56
Delta/AeroMexico Seat Selection

Hi,

I'm PM (and as such, also Skyteam Elite+) and booked through Delta on a GDL->LAX flight on AM metal. Is it normal that even as PM, AeroMexico will not allow me to select a seat (and as such, confirm my status) until check-in time? I spoke with them on the phone, and mentioned that they charge an additional fee for seat selection ahead of check-in, but I'd expect that Elite+ would be exempted from the fee, although I've never flown AM before so I could be wrong on this.

Can someone with more experience flying AM let me know if this is normal? The AM representative didn't even seem to understand the concept of Skyteam status, but Delta PM desk has confirmed that it shows on the reservation. Did I just get a bad AM customer service rep?
rekoil is offline  
Old Oct 25, 16, 2:51 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Southwest CT
Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Posts: 7,618
Originally Posted by rekoil View Post
Hi,

I'm PM (and as such, also Skyteam Elite+) and booked through Delta on a GDL->LAX flight on AM metal. Is it normal that even as PM, AeroMexico will not allow me to select a seat (and as such, confirm my status) until check-in time? I spoke with them on the phone, and mentioned that they charge an additional fee for seat selection ahead of check-in, but I'd expect that Elite+ would be exempted from the fee, although I've never flown AM before so I could be wrong on this.

Can someone with more experience flying AM let me know if this is normal? The AM representative didn't even seem to understand the concept of Skyteam status, but Delta PM desk has confirmed that it shows on the reservation. Did I just get a bad AM customer service rep?
I connect once a year in Mexico City, from Atlanta, on an AM flight. I learned that the only way to choose your seat on the AM portion of my itinerary is to get the AM confirmation number, which is different from Delta's, go to the AM site, enter their confirmation number, and then select my seat. I can't remember where the AM confirmation number shows up. It may be on your DL reservation, but, sorry, I'm not sure.

But I do know that once I have the AM number, I can easily select my seats on my AM flights.
tonypct is offline  
Old Oct 25, 16, 4:13 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Posts: 13,282
Originally Posted by tonypct View Post
II can't remember where the AM confirmation number shows up. It may be on your DL reservation, but, sorry, I'm not sure.
PM desk or Twitter should be able to look it up for you.
Zorak is offline  
Old Oct 25, 16, 6:40 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: NL
Programs: FB Gold
Posts: 42
Use the chat function on the Aeromexico website. They were very kind to me and I got the AM+ seats for free and I am just a humble Flying Blue Gold member. So all you Diamond Platinum Rhodium Rhenium Palladium members must surely be able to get it also.
MrTL is offline  
Old Oct 25, 16, 7:50 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Programs: Delta
Posts: 56
Originally Posted by tonypct View Post
I connect once a year in Mexico City, from Atlanta, on an AM flight. I learned that the only way to choose your seat on the AM portion of my itinerary is to get the AM confirmation number, which is different from Delta's, go to the AM site, enter their confirmation number, and then select my seat. I can't remember where the AM confirmation number shows up. It may be on your DL reservation, but, sorry, I'm not sure.

But I do know that once I have the AM number, I can easily select my seats on my AM flights.
I did exactly that, getting my AM number from Delta and using it on AM's site, but the site would not allow me to select a seat (nor would the phone representative, without an additional fee).

I'll try Twitter and see what happens.
rekoil is offline  
Old Oct 26, 16, 5:00 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 19,248
You should be able to select it without fee. However as for the phone agents, well they put NYC to shame. Not just can't be done, but full blown, sex without a kiss ugliness. I can easily get great deals on AM going south and connecting through MEX instead of DL hubs. After recent experiences that won't be happening.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Oct 26, 16, 5:11 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: GA
Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-exDM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Posts: 7,962
I booked a DL codeshare LAX-MEX and had no trouble getting DL to request the seats for me. It took about a day but they showed up on delta.com. I did not try to access the reservation on Aeromexico's website.
CPMaverick is offline  
Old Oct 26, 16, 5:40 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 19,248
Also AM give upgrades for DL E+ members. You can call within 24 hours, but most times you'll need to wait to airport to get upgraded/waitlisted. Not sure the priority given to DL elites, but I've made it on all but LAX-MEX the times I've had to take AM.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Oct 26, 16, 6:13 am
  #9  
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: PIT
Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Posts: 15,408
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Also AM give upgrades for DL E+ members. You can call within 24 hours, but most times you'll need to wait to airport to get upgraded/waitlisted. Not sure the priority given to DL elites, but I've made it on all but LAX-MEX the times I've had to take AM.
Any luck on JFK/MEX? I'd like to try the B787
davetravels is offline  
Old Oct 26, 16, 7:19 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brooklyn
Programs: DL PM, SPG LT Gold
Posts: 811
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Also AM give upgrades for DL E+ members. You can call within 24 hours, but most times you'll need to wait to airport to get upgraded/waitlisted. Not sure the priority given to DL elites, but I've made it on all but LAX-MEX the times I've had to take AM.
Does anyone know if companions (SM member) can get upgraded, too? I'm PM, and my partner is just a general SM member; we'll be on a few AM flights in February.
ryanm is offline  
Old Oct 26, 16, 12:04 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Programs: Delta
Posts: 56
I just got offline with AM Chat Support, who was able to put my wife and I (I'm PM, she's Silver) in F on our GDL->LAX leg. So hopefully that won't be a problem for you.

Which brings the next question - the chat support rep said that I should arrive at GDL 3 hours ahead of my departure. Is that an accurate assessment? Do they have an Elite Plus checkin desk that might save me time?
rekoil is offline  
Old Oct 26, 16, 1:09 pm
  #12  
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: PIT
Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Posts: 15,408
Originally Posted by rekoil View Post
I just got offline with AM Chat Support, who was able to put my wife and I (I'm PM, she's Silver) in F on our GDL->LAX leg. So hopefully that won't be a problem for you.
They put you in F?!? When you were just chatting hoping to get a Y seat assignment?

Also, how far in advance is you flight?
davetravels is offline  
Old Oct 27, 16, 12:59 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Programs: Delta
Posts: 56
Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
They put you in F?!? When you were just chatting hoping to get a Y seat assignment?

Also, how far in advance is you flight?
Oddly enough, the rep said he was putting me in AM+, but the seat assignments we received are in F. My flight is early next week.
rekoil is offline  
Old Oct 27, 16, 3:31 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: TPA
Programs: WP
Posts: 372
Originally Posted by rekoil View Post
Which brings the next question - the chat support rep said that I should arrive at GDL 3 hours ahead of my departure. Is that an accurate assessment? Do they have an Elite Plus checkin desk that might save me time?
I believe 3hrs is standard AM wording. I was told the same thing when departing MEX, but arrived 2hrs before departure and checked in no problem
island82 is offline  
Old Oct 29, 16, 3:34 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 10
GUC on ATL>JNB

Does anyone have experience with using GUC from ATL>JNB? Looking to go in Feb. Called Diamond desk and had agent check Jan, Feb and March and she said there are no confirmed upgrades available. It's a DL flight. There seems to be 28 seats open as of now with about 3ish months until flight. I have not used a GUC but wondering any past experience?
cmccann is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: