Random Thoughts On Passing 2MM

Old Oct 25, 16, 10:32 am

Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold
Now you have me thinking back. I started flying "for real" in 1982, and once I discovered frequent flyer programs and living in southern California, mostly settled on AA. I made it to 1MM just about the time I moved to ATL and began to run up the Delta miles. Technically I now have 3MM but only 2MM on DL, and since 3MM on Delta doesn't really give you anything I've given up on reaching any more pinnacles. It's handy being able to choose between AA and DL and getting some recognition. I too miss the good old days when you'd get 1000 miles for every car rental, 1000 miles minimum for every flight, and getting upgraded so often that you were really mad when it didn't happen. Newer flyers have it better, unfortunately, because you don't have to compare how good things were, and only see how they are today, so it's probably not so aggravating.
Old Oct 25, 16, 11:05 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: DL FO 1.4MM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer View Post
I believe my first flight in this run was actually booked on Republic but became NWA by the time I flew.
I remember my first-ever award ticket was on Republic. They actually issued me a voucher or blank ticket or something like that.

I asked about using it, and they said it was easy. It was the equivalent of a full fare ticket, so if there was a seat available I could get it for free.

Boy, that was a long time ago.

David
Old Oct 25, 16, 11:30 am

Programs: Delta DM 1.1MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA Life Member
Congrats! I enjoyed your story. I am a little under half of the MM that you have. I'm a little surprised you haven't had a major mx inflight. I had one this summer flying into ORD where we lost an engine and then had to divert to MKE due to the weather at ORD.

I'm pretty certain I'll hit 1 MM but not so sure if I'll be doing this long enough to hit 2 MM. Thanks again for sharing your story.
Old Oct 25, 16, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by DiverDave View Post
I remember my first-ever award ticket was on Republic. They actually issued me a voucher or blank ticket or something like that.

I asked about using it, and they said it was easy. It was the equivalent of a full fare ticket, so if there was a seat available I could get it for free.

Boy, that was a long time ago.

David
The NW "Fly Writes" -- they mailed 2 of them out them out automatically as you passed each 20K miles. Each pair good for domestic RT. 2 sets (4 coupons) for a TATL trip.

I was cleaning out an old drawer a couple years ago and found some -- 4 coupons (40K miles worth). IIRC they were only good for 2 years but if you exchanged them for an INTL trip that ticket was good for a year and could be changed.

Thanks all for your kind words on my ramble.
Old Oct 25, 16, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM
Cheers for your next 3MM.
Old Oct 25, 16, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by yohanson View Post
Congrats! I enjoyed your story. I am a little under half of the MM that you have. I'm a little surprised you haven't had a major mx inflight. I had one this summer flying into ORD where we lost an engine and then had to divert to MKE due to the weather at ORD.
I've been quite lucky regarding MX incidents. What did happen to me was not really an MX problem, but a taxiing problem. I was flying on Continental and the turbulance was terrible. We landed at EWR with no problems, but on the taxi in, we heard a crunching noise and the plane stopped dead. We had struck an AA jet also taxiing, and our wing ended up embedded in the side of the AA plane. We had to deplane on the chutes and luckily only minor injuries for crew and passengers. My thought at that point was, if everybody gets one plane crash in their lives, I was lucky enough for it to be on the ground! Here's a link I found about the crash: http://www.nytimes.com/1991/10/18/ny...ed-puzzle.html
Old Oct 25, 16, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by yohanson View Post
The bulk of my flying has been long haul, so I have fewer actual flight than many with similar miles. Probably less stress on the equipment than that DC9 doing puddle jumps all day long.
Old Oct 26, 16, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.6MM, IHG Spire Elite
Congratulations!
Old Oct 27, 16, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL DM
Started flying Delta in 2011. Will hit half way mark to MM next week. I hope I have the similar memories as you once I hit such a milestone.
Old Nov 10, 16, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL DM 2.5MM, UA 1k, HH D, Marriott LPPE
Tomorrow I will have my 2MM MQM flight - the late night leg from DTW-AZO (traveling, SMF-SEA-DTW-AZO). Doubt I will get any recognition but it got me reminiscing about all my travel on DL... Hit 1MM in 2011, but since 1/2014 (when I started to track) have $106,913MQD, 627MQS, 768,552MQM (earned, without rollover) with 618,552 actual travel MQM net of AMEX bumps...

Been on some crazy flights but always safe, only two or three unexpected overnights and lived through the recent DL IT meltdown (what a crazy travel day)... Overall, got to say been very happy with Delta and look forward to 3MM.

One thing I fault DL on is to date, zero Porsche rides! What does it take to get one??? Many times I get dropped into DTW a bit late and have <20 minutes to run a mile to my connection.
Old Nov 10, 16, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Wow! Congratulations to Mr. TheMadBrewer. I'm so proud of you!! Thank you for flying Delta.
Old Nov 11, 16, 12:33 am

Programs: WN CP, DL PLT, Hyatt DD, PC PLT, GC PLT, Hertz PC
Congrats and my condolences at the same time.

I do wish they get rid of MQD waiver. I am sure I have more MQM than a lot of DMs. How much commission can Delta net from spending on the AMEX card?? It's an airline - it should be the more you fly, the more valuable you are to the airline. second to the more you pay for airfare the valuable you are.
Old Nov 11, 16, 8:21 am

Programs: 3MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Congratulations on the milestone! Having LT gold will be something to appreciate as you work toward your golden years.
Old Nov 11, 16, 8:57 am

Programs: Delta PM & 2M+ Miles - Marriott Plat Prem (LTPPE) - DL AMEX Reseve
Thanks for the share. I found we have many similarities in travel. I wish I could remember the exact year I signed up on the NWA WorldPerks program. I got my "new" job mid 1980 so it might have been in 1981 when WorldPerks kicked off. I remember flying NC Airlines and Republic prior to their acquisition by NW. I'm a about 100K miles behind you but all the symptoms you outlined ring true. Retired after 36 years and my/our travel now is for leisure. I guessing the best I'll do is PM but once I too hit 2M, I will have the LT GM (for as long as DL keeps that program running...) Travel Safe
Old Nov 11, 16, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Clank
Congrats on the 2MM!

I got mt 2MM in July 2015. I picked my gift, Tumi hardside roller, on August 12, 2016 and just received it today. If you want a new bag quickly, don't wait as long as I did to order it.

Search this Thread