Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting Upgrade Priority...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM; SPG PLAT/Ambassador
Interesting Upgrade Priority...

Taking Mrs. Zedthedeadpoet to California for a few days this week. Went to use a couple soon-to-expire global upgrade certificates. Never used them before. Figured it would all but guarantee us a couple of upgrades. Complimentary upgrades usually treat me very well. Anyhow - used them - both of us on B fares - checked in and saw that we were 1 and 2 on the upgrade list. mission accomplished, right? Went just now to check our status on the upgrade list only to see that we had slipped to 3 and 4. So, i called SMS and the agent was as suspicious as I was and pulled up the records for new 1 and 2. He reported back that they were both same level medallion as me (DM) but that they were both on cheaper fares than me. So, I should be ahead of them right? Supervisors got involved....blah blah. Finally found out what they are above me - they both have the DL Amex Reserve card.

What the hell?

So my real question: Why would a DM pay for Reserve?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:35 pm

To be ahead of you and the Mrs. Duh.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by zedthedeadpoet
Taking Mrs. Zedthedeadpoet to California for a few days this week. Went to use a couple soon-to-expire global upgrade certificates. Never used them before. Figured it would all but guarantee us a couple of upgrades. Complimentary upgrades usually treat me very well. Anyhow - used them - both of us on B fares - checked in and saw that we were 1 and 2 on the upgrade list. mission accomplished, right? Went just now to check our status on the upgrade list only to see that we had slipped to 3 and 4. So, i called SMS and the agent was as suspicious as I was and pulled up the records for new 1 and 2. He reported back that they were both same level medallion as me (DM) but that they were both on cheaper fares than me. So, I should be ahead of them right? Supervisors got involved....blah blah. Finally found out what they are above me - they both have the DL Amex Reserve card.

What the hell?

So my real question: Why would a DM pay for Reserve?
Wait, so they had cheaper fares than you but the Reserve card trumped that?!

This is big obviously. I wonder if they're going to start doing the same for complimentary upgrades.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Oct 23, 2016 at 7:42 pm
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
Well, that's interesting. I had no idea the Reserve card could trump cheaper fares for GUC's.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WWads
Wait, so they had cheaper fares than you but the Reserve card trumped that?!
Yup.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:42 pm

The way they became DM was due to the 30k MQMs from the Reserve.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I'm just trying to get all the facts:

You're a DM, used GUC's, had B fare, but no reserve which resulted with you as #3/4
#1 and 2 are not on the same PNR, both DM, have AMEX Reserve, unknown fare but lower than B, did they apply GUCs too?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:53 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Wait, the OP used GUCs, right? We don't know anything for sure about the priority order for GUCs. It is entirely possible that fare class is not a determining factor when using GUCs, and the other travelers might have been ahead because of the Reserve Card, or it might even be as simple as who requested earliest. Though someone did report on another thread that an agent had told them a GUC priority order which I believe did include the Reserve card but didn't seem to include fare class -- but we all know that agents don't always have the full information.

Whereas for complimentary upgrades, Delta has published the priority order and fare class comes ahead of Reserve card. Since that is one of the few things Delta has been transparent about it's pretty safe to assume it still holds.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Youngmiler
I'm just trying to get all the facts:

You're a DM, used GUC's, had B fare, but no reserve which resulted with you as #3/4
#1 and 2 are not on the same PNR, both DM, have AMEX Reserve, unknown fare but lower than B, did they apply GUCs too?
Yes to all....
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
Why would a DM have a reserve? It's probably somewhat the opposite that having a reserve led to being a DM.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:41 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Plus, the F companion cert has definite value, and the upgrade priority somewhat less tangible but still worth something.

Although I'm still probably going to switch cards or downgrade for next year
Old Oct 24, 2016, 4:08 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
That's how DL has been making the Medallion experience more exclusive since the institution of spending thresholds...
Old Oct 24, 2016, 4:20 am

Programs: DL DM 2.4MM
Originally Posted by bgriff
Wait, the OP used GUCs, right? We don't know anything for sure about the priority order for GUCs. It is entirely possible that fare class is not a determining factor when using GUCs, and the other travelers might have been ahead because of the Reserve Card, or it might even be as simple as who requested earliest. Though someone did report on another thread that an agent had told them a GUC priority order which I believe did include the Reserve card but didn't seem to include fare class -- but we all know that agents don't always have the full information.

Whereas for complimentary upgrades, Delta has published the priority order and fare class comes ahead of Reserve card. Since that is one of the few things Delta has been transparent about it's pretty safe to assume it still holds.
I suspect date/time of waitlist is the determining factor (although we have never had full transparency on it).

Anecdotally, I flew to SEA last week using a RUC on a T fare - Was surprised that I was #1 with 5 other RUC's on the list (others could have been Plat, yes) but as a DM with reserve card it may have had a greater impact than I thought.

Last edited by langbr01; Oct 24, 2016 at 3:44 pm
Old Oct 24, 2016, 5:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by nfg05
The way they became DM was due to the 30k MQMs from the Reserve.
Some of us double Diamond have or have had both personal and business and spent 60k on each this past year.

i.e. like: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27381952-post11.html

I will always hold a Reserve card and have for years and have seen it work even before the newest great changes with +1s etc!
Old Oct 24, 2016, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
GUCs should put you ahead of other pax regardless of them having the reserve. Sounds to me like it is not coded properly and something else is going on... you should be ahead of the others on just the GUCs along, but also with the B fare being higher than theirs.

Perhaps one of the others is actually a 360?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.