Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta holding back C+ upgrade inventory

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta holding back C+ upgrade inventory

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:04 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Nothing unusual. Most elites refuse the upgrade to C+ if it's only middles left.
That's true. I had to call and opt out of middle seats a couple of times.
They also told me they hold a couple of seats for people on wheel chairs or need assistance.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:06 pm

Programs: delta dm
Really no suprise. Most people knew delta was going to do this.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:59 pm

Here's why a flight would be selling Y and 0 W with two Comfort+ seats showing available.

On all single-aisle aircraft that boards at 1L, two seats in the W bulkhead are blocked and actually counted as Y since they're reserved for people with disabilities who don't have to pay a W fare. For a 320, there are 18 Comfort+ seats, but they're composed of 16W and 2Y. A W passenger who gets seated in one of the blocked seats means that the Y-fare seat in Comfort+ section is shuffled elsewhere. There can only be 16 W fare passengers on a 320 even though there are 18 seats. Almost always, the remaining two seats are the blocked seats. However, when that doesn't happen, you get the situation the OP reported. This might not be a case of restricting WU inventory.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Has the OP not flown since the C+ changes a few months ago? They always hold back space, that's why there's an upgrade list. Sometimes you clear right away (especially if you're buying more than a few weeks in advance) but if you don't clear right after purchasing the ticket then you aren't likely to clear before the gate.

Personally if I've been able to select an aisle seat in the front half of the plane (or just aisle seat period on my last flight of the day) I just unclick the C+ request since I don't want to risk getting "upgraded" to a middle seat.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: DL FO
Last week, I had my first DL domestic flight since the C+ changes. The flight was ATL-BWI, and I was flying with my non-status* mother. I requested the F upgrades (a long shot, as always), but not the C+ upgrade. We already had a window/aisle pair in row 15 on an MD-80, so the risk of middle seats was just not worth it. I checked the seat map at the gate, and saw that 14 D/E were still open, and the flight was 1/3 empty, so no one waiting for a C+ upgrade. The GA wasn't busy, so I walked up, told her I hadn't requested a C+ upgrade due to middle seat concerns, and asked if it was too late. She moved us up, no problem.

*I signed my mom up last year, but haven't kept an eye on her account. When we checked in for the DUB-ATL-BWI trip, I noticed we were higher on the upgrade list than I expected. I assumed we would be at the very bottom, since she was on the list as my companion, but there were actually 3-4 people below us. Turns out my mom hit FO back in September, but she had no idea what the email meant.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Err, parent fail. I left the C+ box checked and DL just upgraded my 3yo and I to C+ ... in different rows and middle seats. I assumed there was a flag that she was only 3 years old (they have her DOB) and she can't sit in another row. Also in a car seat, not allowed in middle seat. Any hope that they'd be holding out some EC seats?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by curl
Err, parent fail. I left the C+ box checked and DL just upgraded my 3yo and I to C+ ... in different rows and middle seats. I assumed there was a flag that she was only 3 years old (they have her DOB) and she can't sit in another row. Also in a car seat, not allowed in middle seat. Any hope that they'd be holding out some EC seats?
They legally will have to move someone to accommodate. Regardless though I'm sure someone would volunteer.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:34 pm

They legally will have to move someone to accommodate. Regardless though I'm sure someone would volunteer.
Should I call them now or wait?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 5:53 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Guess is if you wait they will move you to the gate assigned seats (back few rows or bulkhead). If there are good seats now it might be worth calling to get it sorted out.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:03 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Definitely call now. 100% better than boarding frantically with a child seat in hand trying to force someone into a middle seat.

Call and they can un-"upgrade" you.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:29 pm

Nothing unusual. Most elites refuse the upgrade to C+ if it's only middles left.
Nothing like it.

Getting "upgraded" from exit row aisle to C+ middle - and then not being allowed to re-claim the exit row without calling the damn airline.

By which time, it's too late.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by TTT
Guess is if you wait they will move you to the gate assigned seats (back few rows or bulkhead). If there are good seats now it might be worth calling to get it sorted out.
The seats we had (2 rows behind C+) are still there. I know that some of C+ will likely move up ... but I can't gamble and not sit with my babe. She's a charmer in her little NWA pilot hat but I don't think her seat mates would be too pleased.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
To UPG to C+ do you just select the seat at your elite window or do they send you an email?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Uh, this isn't surprising. It was very clear to me the intent was to capacity control C+. The next step is that Y fares can only upgrade to C+ and if you want an F upgrade you have to buy C+. I'd wager that change is coming in the 2018 SkyMiles season.

As a DM I am rarely able to get upgraded to C+ when I buy < 48hrs before departure (nearly all my purchases). I average about 50% on upgrades to either C+ or F even on Y and B fares.

If it's not clear to people that DL (and the other airlines) have gotten significantly better at inventory management in the last few years you need to open your eyes. There is no technical reason that airlines cannot hit a target load factor on nearly every flight based on the data that they have access to. DL knows what you're willing to pay for C+ and will price it exactly at that price until you do.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
I had a similar experience: booked a last minute flight about on month ago out of SLC (less than 24h before departure). I chose the flight because 2 seats in C+ showed available on seat map.
After booking, I could not get a C+ seat assigned. I called and was told the seats were sold but not assigned. The cabin was sold out however, hence the lack of upgrade.
Seat maps are not accurate.

(i ended up cancelling this flight and flying another itinerary, or airline, I can't recall).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.