Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta holding back C+ upgrade inventory

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta holding back C+ upgrade inventory

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
To UPG to C+ do you just select the seat at your elite window or do they send you an email?
They will send you an email when you are upgraded. You can't select an open C+ at your window any more than you can select an open F seat at your window. Just as with F, if C+ upgrade inventory opens up, and you are at the top of the upgrade list, you will be upgraded to C+. You can't just call and demand an open C+ seat, just as you can't call and demand an open F seat. The exception is for flights where C+ is not yet a separate fare class (such as TATL routes). There is no auto-upgrade process for those.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For my two domestic flights within the next week, I notice different ways of treating C+ special needs seats. Both of these are the A320 with four rows of FC (16 seats) and three rows of C+ (18 seats).

One flight has C+ fully occupied, including apparently the handicapped seats about a month in advance. There's been no movement at all and never any availability either for sale or as a DM "upgrade."

The other "upgraded" me immediately to a nice C+ aisle seat and now shows four light blue seats open but six available. It looks to me like DL is including the two handicapped seats in the count of the six but has them blocked and hence showing as occupied on the seat map.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by curl
Should I call them now or wait?
You can call or wait till gate. I'd try calling ahead, this way someone doesn't know it was you that caused the seat change. Just makes for an uncomfortable flight.

Regardless since you're both in C+, they'll have to accommodate in C+ seats.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
To UPG to C+ do you just select the seat at your elite window or do they send you an email?
Neither. You can request an upgrade just after booking that might clear. But if you don't clear at that point then the C+ "upgrade" works just like a First class upgrade, just with a separate list. You have to wait and see if you are cleared by the gate agent in the hour or so prior to boarding. Luckily at this point most gate agents will call you up and ask before "upgrading" you to a middle seat. But not all of them will, especially if they're busy and don't have much time to process upgrades.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Thanks all! I have been flying DL mostly on paid FC fares so this C+ UPG stuff is new to me for my upcoming couple of flights.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Interesting (I'm currently FO and will be back to GM soon) and it's 40 hours before departure and I was upgrade to C+ but got no email notification. Only saw this by checking the App. Didn't think FO got upgrades this early.

Edited to add I did have the email notification on but was still upgraded way early ��

Last edited by AANYC1981; Oct 26, 2016 at 8:24 pm
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:09 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Interesting (I'm currently FO and will be back to GM soon) and it's 40 hours before departure and I was upgrade to C+ but got no email notification. Only saw this by checking the App. Didn't think FO got upgrades this early.
Although the stated UG windows are 1/3/5 days before, in practice they occur some time after 5pm Eastern the day before that, so 40 hours for FO is in line with that.

I'd say "enjoy" but it's just C+
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: Waffle House DM
I was just upgraded (with my companion) to an empty C+ cabin and we are 6 weeks from travel. I must have missed the conspiracy memo...unless of course I'm part of it?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:45 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by Slow learner
I was just upgraded (with my companion) to an empty C+ cabin and we are 6 weeks from travel. I must have missed the conspiracy memo...unless of course I'm part of it?
This whole thread is about them possibly beginning to devalue the "upgrade" to C+ by withholding inventory. It is clear to everyone that, for the most part, if there is currently a C+ seat available, DM's and PM's will get them on booking. This thread is about how DL will try to make them as rare as F upgrades as they try to make money off of the C+ seats as well (and therefore devalue another Medallion "perk")
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
Originally Posted by pgh234
This whole thread is about them possibly beginning to devalue the "upgrade" to C+ by withholding inventory. It is clear to everyone that, for the most part, if there is currently a C+ seat available for sale, DM's and PM's will get them on booking. This thread is about how DL will try to make them as rare as F upgrades as they try to make money off of the C+ seats as well (and therefore devalue another Medallion "perk")
Thank you! Finally a voice of reason on this thread...

I'm at ~120 flights for the year with ~100 booked in regular ol' coach. Per company policy, I can only book within 2 weeks of departure. I've not been 'upgraded' on exactly two (2) of those flights.

Delta is not holding back C+ inventory (...yet, at least). I would guess that lots of the replies to the post are buying tickets on premium and/or hub-hub routes where C+ (and F, and Y, for that matter...) would and should be sold out days in advance.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by 13thandseven
Thank you! Finally a voice of reason on this thread...

I'm at ~120 flights for the year with ~100 booked in regular ol' coach. Per company policy, I can only book within 2 weeks of departure. I've not been 'upgraded' on exactly two (2) of those flights.

Delta is not holding back C+ inventory (...yet, at least). I would guess that lots of the replies to the post are buying tickets on premium and/or hub-hub routes where C+ (and F, and Y, for that matter...) would and should be sold out days in advance.
Delta is absolutely holding back C+ inventory and has been since it became an 'upgrade'. If you're flying routes where the plane isn't full then maybe you don't notice it because there's always upgrade inventory available when you buy. But on routes where they think they might be able to sell C+ seats they absolutely aren't releasing every seat for upgrades prior to the gate.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:13 pm

I haven't seen a single flight that's selling W class and doesn't have the same amount of WU availability or more.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Widgets
I haven't seen a single flight that's selling W class and doesn't have the same amount of WU availability or more.
I agree except that I'm not sure about the conditions under which the two blocked handicapped seats are either sold or given as upgrades.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I called and they said they do not hold any seats. I had to "downgrade" back to main cabin because I can't risk not sitting by my tot or having some big scene and ending up in 45B. We are going to Hawaii too, not short flights.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:16 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
how "separate"?

I wonder whether DL or DoT will consider C+ a separate cabin re: kids' seating apart from parents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.