FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Got diverted due to a mechanical (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1797513-got-diverted-due-mechanical.html)

cayohueso Oct 20, 2016 5:06 am

Got diverted due to a mechanical

Was on DL5317 an Expressjet CRJ-700 from ATL to Key West last night. Made it just about to the Florida border when the captain came on and announced we were returning to ATL due to a mechanical issue. The #1 hydraulic system was empty. The crew was excellent and very proactive keeping us informed and allaying any fears. Landed without incident although the fire trucks were out in force. Delta already had another CRJ waiting for us about 20 gates down. Just had to wait for new pilots as the first timed out. The cabin crew still had just enough time. The pilots arrived and after some more delays along with a whole lot of angst, we took off and arrived about 3 hours late. Had an email this morning saying sorry with 15K miles.

SEUS777 Oct 20, 2016 7:22 am

Cool story bro.

EditingFX Oct 20, 2016 7:31 am

Originally Posted by cayohueso (Post 27370434)
The #1 hydraulic system was empty.

I take it that's a serious enough issue to warrant a possible #2 on landing? :D

orr333 Oct 20, 2016 8:17 am

Originally Posted by SEUS777 (Post 27370839)
Cool story bro.

I'm sure you think you're cool and above everyone but comments like this out here really make me hope I never have to sit by you on a plane.

hnewman Oct 20, 2016 8:54 am

Key West is a very short runway so glad you went back to ATL

saxman66 Oct 20, 2016 1:49 pm

The #2 hydraulics power the outboard wheel brakes, among other things. #3 hydraulic powers the inboard. (Or other way around) Even if all hydraulic fluid is lost, there is a backup hydraulic accumulator just for the brakes themselves. Still a good decision to return to ATL. I wouldn't want to land on a short runway with only 2 working systems.

jrl767 Oct 20, 2016 5:50 pm

BRAKES not breaks!!! :mad:

yeah, I know, this belongs in "Hall of Rants"

EditingFX Oct 20, 2016 6:34 pm

But the brakes had broken, so they were breaks. (In the brakes.)

Navig8R Oct 20, 2016 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by hnewman (Post 27371194)
Key West is a very short runway so glad you went back to ATL

They diverted to ATL since it would be far easier to address any maintenance issues at Delta TechOps. It wouldn't make sense to continue on to EYW and be forced to either ferry the plane back to ATL or send a maint crew to fix the problem remotely.

SEUS777 Oct 21, 2016 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by orr333 (Post 27371048)
I'm sure you think you're cool and above everyone but comments like this out here really make me hope I never have to sit by you on a plane.

You gonna think of me every time you get on a flight now. Sweet! ^

jdrtravel Oct 21, 2016 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by orr333 (Post 27371048)

+1. Thanks for saying something. Comments like that are the worst part of FT.