Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Domestic connections on international itineraries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic connections on international itineraries

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2016, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz and Best Western, a free agent in all other respects
Three days in the Falklands, five days at South Georgia and three days Tristan/Gough Island!! There are only one or two repositioning cruises per year that do this, I figure it's my turn

Thanks for the ideas Duke, YYZ-CHA is not bad. The only Etihad J itineraries I could find have an eight hour layover in Kenya even though they fly direct to AUH. Maybe I can do better after I join their program.

Do Qatar have an E+ type of fare? I did 22 hours in Y- once and never will again.

Good idea to check with the cruise line. They have a $700 charter from Buenos Aires to USH, regular flights are ~$150. I want to go a couple days early anyway.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
We connected in DOHA with Qatar earlier this year. The nice part of flying in J,and guessing a 787? A few more hours doing that vs coach for less hours makes it a good deal.

The lounge in Doha is larger than many airports - guessing about the size of CHA. They do have a deal you can take a 3 hour tour of Doha which worked out good. More info in our blog below.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Well, Delta now says $2300 for JNB-ATL in Y.

I can get JNB-AUH-IAD in J from Etihad for about the same price, pretty much a no brainer. Both legs are on 789s.

You can't search "789" on FT and the first six pages of the Etihad forum didn't find much about EY J on the 789. Anyone have an opinion or can link me a thread?

TIA again
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bow Rider

I can get JNB-AUH-IAD in J from Etihad for about the same price, pretty much a no brainer. Both legs are on 789s.

You can't search "789" on FT and the first six pages of the Etihad forum didn't find much about EY J on the 789. Anyone have an opinion or can link me a thread?

TIA again
AusBT review: http://www.ausbt.com.au/etihad-airways-boeing-787-business-class-studio-review-brisbane-abu-dhabi

Good FT trip report here too: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...wa-lounge.html
Old Oct 17, 2016, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

TIA again
Put 789 in quotes when searching. It'll return results then. Any time it's too short, put quotes around it and it'll return results. The quotes limit results to those that match exactly what is in the quotes.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: Status? What's status?
Three days in the Falklands, five days at South Georgia and three days Tristan/Gough Island!! There are only one or two repositioning cruises per year that do this, I figure it's my turn
My parents are doing this exact cruise next March. For their return to RDU they have booked Qatar through DOH to PHL. I thought it was a good routing because it includes both a 787 and A350, but they just gave me blank stares when I pointed that out to them.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

That's too funny lmsalman, half the game is to scrutinize the planes/seats we can get.

Indeed, I found Emirates JNB-DXB-IAD on A380s both legs. Y was ~$570 and J was ~$2300. Both fares can be cancelled for chump change. I booked the J! Way psyched, it goes without saying.

Thanks for the links Duke, and the clarification FlyerCO!

BR
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
That's too funny lmsalman, half the game is to scrutinize the planes/seats we can get.

Indeed, I found Emirates JNB-DXB-IAD on A380s both legs. Y was ~$570 and J was ~$2300. Both fares can be cancelled for chump change. I booked the J! Way psyched, it goes without saying.

Thanks for the links Duke, and the clarification FlyerCO!

BR
Anything ex-JNB will be fairly cheap. I book a RT JNB-US-JNB to save major money. Due to the economy everything is cheap there. Booking US-JNB-US costs many times the amount of the reverse. Of course this only works if you enjoy traveling to JNB.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Anything ex-JNB will be fairly cheap. I book a RT JNB-US-JNB to save major money. Due to the economy everything is cheap there. Booking US-JNB-US costs many times the amount of the reverse. Of course this only works if you enjoy traveling to JNB.
But the outlier is Delta, right? $2300 for SNB-ATL in Y. I've never been to Africa before so I am at a bit of a disadvantage.

Is "US" a place holder for any United States flight? I tried searching ITA with that but it didn't work.

I'm taking a boat to Cape Town, I figure CPT-JNB is a lot like ATL-CHA. Is that not true? It has to be true, I think. Though driving 800km on the wrong side of the road seems intriguing, LOL.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:25 pm

But the outlier is Delta, right? $2300 for SNB-ATL in Y. I've never been to Africa before so I am at a bit of a disadvantage.

Is "US" a place holder for any United States flight? I tried searching ITA with that but it didn't work.

I'm taking a boat to Cape Town, I figure CPT-JNB is a lot like ATL-CHA. Is that not true? It has to be true, I think. Though driving 800km on the wrong side of the road seems intriguing, LOL.
He meant that when you book tickets originating in South Africa instead of the US they're generally much cheaper due to the exchange rate and economy. Buying a one way JNB-IAD would be much cheaper than IAD-JNB for example.

Another option I often do is flying Cathay Pacific to the US via Hong Kong. It's roughly $2300 in J and you can add in a stopover in HK at no extra cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.