Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Rules on Domestic Overnight Connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM

I'm trying to go from LAX-MSP on the final departure of the day (not redeye) then connect to GRR on the first flight of the morning. It's not possible to keep this within the 4 hour connection time.

I was able to price this out on AA LAX-ORD-GRR without a fare break. But I can't even price it out on DL.

Do these airlines have different rules for connections? Can agents override the rules if I call?

I would prefer to do this on DL but will take AA if their rules are more favorable.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by third_wave
I'm trying to go from LAX-MSP on the final departure of the day (not redeye) then connect to GRR on the first flight of the morning. It's not possible to keep this within the 4 hour connection time.

I was able to price this out on AA LAX-ORD-GRR without a fare break. But I can't even price it out on DL.

Do these airlines have different rules for connections? Can agents override the rules if I call?

I would prefer to do this on DL but will take AA if their rules are more favorable.
IME, Generally DL will only allow overnight if there's no other possible way to connect. If there's earlier flights that connect, then generally it will cause a fare break to force the overnight stay.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Book is as a multi-city departing LAX-MSP on one day and MSP-GRR the next. I tried it on a weekday in mid-November and it gives me $595 L/U fares for the one-way.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DL-Don
Book is as a multi-city departing LAX-MSP on one day and MSP-GRR the next. I tried it on a weekday in mid-November and it gives me $595 L/U fares for the one-way.
Yeah, that was the only way I could find to price it out. Unfortunately it makes the price prohibitively high. I guess I will just book on AA since they allow the overnight connection.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Going to disagree with you that AA does not have a fare break when you do the overnight in ORD. The cheapest option I see is an S and a Q fare for $190.20 (broken fare). The cheapest through fare (without 4+ hour layover) on this route is a $131.60 O fare.

The reason the broken fare is so much cheaper on AA than on DL is that there is significant competition on both LAX-CHI and CHI-GRR (both UA and WN also fly CHI-GRR). Whereas DL has no competition on the MSP-GRR route. The cheapest DL one-way non-stop on MSP-GRR is a $335.10 U fare.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 14, 2016 at 12:06 pm
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
Going to disagree with you that AA does not have a fare break when you do the overnight in ORD. The cheapest option I see is an S and a Q fare for $190.20 (broken fare). The cheapest through fare (without 4+ hour layover) on this route is a $131.60 O fare.

The reason the broken fare is so much cheaper on AA than on DL is that there is significant competition on both LAX-CHI and CHI-GRR (both UA and WN also fly CHI-GRR). Whereas DL has no competition on the MSP-GRR route. The cheapest DL one-way non-stop on MSP-GRR is a $335.10 U fare.
Gotcha. That makes sense. I assumed that since AA would sell me the fare without putting it in as a multi-city, it wasn't a broken fare.

Thanks for the info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.