DL295 diverted 10/13?

Old Oct 13, 16, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/2MM, MR-Plat, HH-Gold, Hertz-Prezi Club, Marriott-Gold, MHC
DL295 diverted 10/13?

Just noticed on flightaware that Delta 295 from ATL-NRT has diverted to MSP. Any idea on cause? wondering if the typhoon on west coast has anything to do with it. i'm on that flight tomorrow! Thanks
Old Oct 13, 16, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Medical? It's due into MSP in a couple minutes and scheduled to leave for NRT 45 minutes later.

BTW DL 295 continues on as a direct flight to PVG. I'm surprised that DL is apparently keeping this intraAsia route as BKK and others are being cancelled.
Old Oct 13, 16, 2:27 pm
TTT

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
BTW DL 295 continues on as a direct flight to PVG. I'm surprised that DL is apparently keeping this intraAsia route as BKK and others are being cancelled.
It makes sense as PVG is a MU hub.
Old Oct 13, 16, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL FO, AA, UA, WN, HHonors Gold, Avis Pref+
I was at MSP this afternoon and walked by G9 before it arrived and the gate display said DL295 to NRT which I thought a little odd since international widebodies typically leave from the lowest G gates. It was also 1400 with a scheduled departure of 1430 and no plane was sitting there.

After I boarded my flight, I noticed 295 arrive (not knowing at first it was a diversion). I found that it was when checking the tail number on FlightAware since I wanted to know where it came from. Saw 3 772's at the same time at MSP today. Seemed like a lot but I don't often connect there. 295 wasn't followed to the gate by any emergency equipment. As we left, I noticed catering trucks at the aft doors but nothing else.

Looks like she's on her way again after 100 minutes on the ground. Probably medical like MSPeconomist said.
Old Oct 13, 16, 8:49 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL wouldn't divert for a catering emergency.

More seriously, they're now scheduled to land at NRT more than three hours late. I'm guessing that a number of passengers will miss connections and spend the night in the Narita area. Some can be rebooked onto other carriers, but there aren't a lot of evening choices, especially given the time required to change terminals there for JAL flights, although ANA (and *A in general) uses a different area of the same terminal.
Old Oct 13, 16, 9:03 pm

MTC, then re-fueling
Old Oct 13, 16, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets View Post
MTC, then re-fueling
MTC = medical???

Forty-five minutes would seem extraordinarily fast for a diversion and it should have been obvious to the people planning this that refueling would be necessary.

Maybe they just ditched a drunk or unruly passenger before heading across the Pacific.
Old Oct 13, 16, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
MTC = medical???

Forty-five minutes would seem extraordinarily fast for a diversion and it should have been obvious to the people planning this that refueling would be necessary.

Maybe they just ditched a drunk or unruly passenger before heading across the Pacific.
I'm pretty sure MTC = Maintenance / Mechanical.

It looks as though the originally expected stop was to be 45 minutes, but, ended up being from 2:46 PM - 4:21 PM - or - 1 hour and 35 minutes.
Old Oct 13, 16, 10:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
In a Facebook group I'm in, a DL employee said the plane developed some sort of electrical problem after takeoff that needed to be fixed before crossing the Pacific. They fixed it at MSP and were on their way.
Old Oct 13, 16, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
I'm pretty sure MTC = Maintenance / Mechanical.

It looks as though the originally expected stop was to be 45 minutes, but, ended up being from 2:46 PM - 4:21 PM - or - 1 hour and 35 minutes.
But the MSP stop was originally planned with the aircraft only being on the ground for about 45 minutes according to flight status on delta.dumb earlier today, IIRC from 2:46 pm to 3:30 pm when I first looked at DL 295.

It would seem highly unrealistic to expect to fix a mechanical problem and refuel the aircraft in 45 minutes unless it was something like knowing exactly which lightbulb to replace and having a team of mechanics waiting in the jetway when the flight arrived.
Old Oct 14, 16, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
But the MSP stop was originally planned with the aircraft only being on the ground for about 45 minutes according to flight status on delta.dumb earlier today, IIRC from 2:46 pm to 3:30 pm when I first looked at DL 295.

It would seem highly unrealistic to expect to fix a mechanical problem and refuel the aircraft in 45 minutes unless it was something like knowing exactly which lightbulb to replace and having a team of mechanics waiting in the jetway when the flight arrived.
Plenty of times when there is a maintenance issue they just post a time just to get it out there and then revise as necessary. Almost all diversions for medical or mechanical never leave as planned. And for all we know they could've fixed the issue in 10 minutes and were just waiting on fuel, new paperwork, etc.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: