A Weird NRSA Situation on Monday

Old Oct 12, 16, 1:31 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
A Weird NRSA Situation on Monday

First of all - This is an observation - - NOT A COMPLAINT!!!

Flying LAX/MSP/ORD. Arrived early at MSP. On the monitor, I saw a flight to MDW that should have left 15 minutes earlier - but was delayed, that I could have possibly ran to catch.

Before running, I thought I'd ask at my arrival gate if there was space. The GA said it was overbooked. OK. No big deal. I'm now heading to the main SkyClub. As I got closer to the club, I figured that the gate for the MDW flight (F2) was very close by, so, I thought I'd check to see if there were any no-shows.

As I approached the gate, it appeared that boarding was just about finished, but the door was still open. I approached the GA and asked her if there were any seats left. She said the flight was overbooked - - AND - - as she said that, she handed a BP to a woman with the standard HUGE "NRSA" on it.

I asked the GA - - "I thought you said it was overbooked?"

GA: It is!

Me: So, why is a non-rev boarding?

GA: Ohhhhhh? Is she a non-rev? I didn't know that!

Me: Her BP had the HUGE NRSA on it!

GA: Oh, OK. I'll take her off and put you on! <in a semi-angry voice>

Me: NOOOOOOOO!!! That wouldn't be fair to her, since she's already thinking she's flying!

GA: OK.

My question - - - As nice as it was for the GA to offer to put me on the flight, was that the proper procedure, since technically, it was already something like 20-25 minutes past the SCHEDULED departure time already, or does a paying stand-by pax take precedence regardless of when the paying pax walks up?

Is it possible that the GA didn't realize that the pax was an NRSA?

I would have taken an empty seat if there was one, but, I wouldn't want to displace anyone.

Your thoughts.
Old Oct 12, 16, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL DM
It is possible that the NRSA handed the gate agent the standby boarding pass and in haste, she just grabbed the printed BP off the counter without realizing.

Once the standby passengers are cleared (including NRSA), and it is beyond departure time, I don't think they will take the NRSA for for SDSC passengers. Perhaps Widgets can correct, but it is my understanding once the list is clear and its time to push, its time to push.
Old Oct 12, 16, 2:35 pm

The check-in cut-off time is the same cut-off for being added to the standby list.
Instead of saying the flight was overbooked and full, I might have just said the cut-off for being added to the standby list was long past to ensure a timely departure. I think saying the flight is overbooked as a reason for not accommodating a customer is at least dishonest if a nonrev was knowingly accommodated. Still, gate agents can refuse to change the standby list after the check-in cut-off. I've been stung by this rule so much.
Old Oct 12, 16, 2:36 pm

Programs: Delta, United
If within the cutoff time, overbooked, and a NRSA boards ... I would be paging Shena.

Edit to add, I was thinking there were additional PAX waiting for a seat rather there being no-shows which would legitimately allow the GA to board a NRSA (as noted to by Widgets below).

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Oct 13, 16 at 9:34 am
Old Oct 12, 16, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar View Post
Overbooked and a NRSA boards ... I would be paging Shena.
I legitimately clear nonrevs on overbooked flights all the time. The worst odds I can remember was something like overbooked by 6 and a family of 4 was cleared. No-shows happen.
Old Oct 12, 16, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier, HHonors Gold
I think people spend way too much time obsessing over NSRAs. Delta really needs to stop printing that on boarding passes. Perhaps they can print DM 4MM HVC720 on their boarding passes instead in huge letters
Old Oct 12, 16, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
This looks like a situation where everyone was correct. As I read it, as late boarding was almost done and as you were inquiring the GA handed the already printed BP to the NRSA. It was already a done deal. Sounds like by the book.

Then you mentioned it was already past scheduled departure time by a lot. I don't think the GA had to do anything but give him/her credit for offering to correct what was perceived as an error. I interpret that as stretching the rules a little to accommodate a huge customer (DT).

Then you declined. Excellent move.

Everyone acted properly. No harm was done. Yay for all.
Old Oct 12, 16, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Widgets View Post
I think saying the flight is overbooked as a reason for not accommodating a customer is at least dishonest if a nonrev was knowingly accommodated.
So, when you're issuing BPs to SBs, are you aware of who is a NRSA without going into each record? In other words, does your stand-by list show you the reason someone is on stand-by without actually looking in deeper into it, or is the stand-by list just a list of names in the proper computer-ordered pecking order?
Old Oct 12, 16, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post
Then you declined. Excellent move.

Everyone acted properly. No harm was done. Yay for all.
Thanx for sayin' so!

Originally Posted by Widgets View Post
No-shows happen.
There were OBVIOUSLY no-shows. Shena didn't rear her ugly head!

Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post
I interpret that as stretching the rules a little to accommodate a huge customer (DT).
HEYYYYYY!!! I resent that! Were you reading my post in the the "Free Coffee and Donuts" thread?!?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27338501-post28.html

Originally Posted by jimrpa View Post
Perhaps they can print DM 4MM HVC720 on their boarding passes instead in huge letters
Mine always says: DM Almost 2MM LVC Negative 360!!!
Old Oct 12, 16, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
So, when you're issuing BPs to SBs, are you aware of who is a NRSA without going into each record? In other words, does your stand-by list show you the reason someone is on stand-by without actually looking in deeper into it, or is the stand-by list just a list of names in the proper computer-ordered pecking order?
Yes...each entry is coded with the standby code for that person. Some one once copied the list of standby codes here.
Old Oct 12, 16, 7:06 pm

It's crystal clear at every step. Nonrev standby codes all begin with "S," and all nonrev BPs have "NRSA" printed on them.
Old Oct 12, 16, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My understanding is that a NRSA passenger can be removed at any time, even if already settled into their seat on the aircraft, and they are not to complain.

IMO it was wrong for the GA to lie.

Since DL is in business to make money, common sense would be to seat any revenue customer before a nonrev assuming that this can be done without delaying the flight.
Old Oct 12, 16, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott, Unlimited Bang-ability
Anything is possible, but I wouldn't consider it likely GA didn't know. Other posters already addressed other question.
Old Oct 12, 16, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
Thumbs up

Me: NOOOOOOOO!!! That wouldn't be fair to her, since she's already thinking she's flying!

GA: OK.

I would have taken an empty seat if there was one, but, I wouldn't want to displace anyone.

Your thoughts.
My thoughts are that you are a stand up guy. This is still just another human trying to get where they need to go. ^^^^
Old Oct 12, 16, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier, HHonors Gold
Oh for gosh sake! Some of you people are getting silly! Consider: Do you march into 1 Infinite Loop and demand that Tim Cook instantly hand over his Apple Watch because he's "just an employee" and you're a paying customer, so he shouldn't be allowed to have a product at a discount as long as you're standing around with cold hard cash waiting to buy one?! Of course not!

As someone noted, Delta is a business. Part of being a business involves ensuring that your employees are compensated and motivated. I think that Delta and their employees view the travel as a benefit and a motivator. I can't imagine what Delta employees must think of customers when they read how petty people get on here about their travel benefit.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: