Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Revises Complimentary Upgrade Policy for Silver Medallions on Award Tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Revises Complimentary Upgrade Policy for Silver Medallions on Award Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
As mentioned above, nothing wrong with offering this. Its a nice PR and goodwill gesture for FOs. Sure it won't happen often, but on those off days and lighter loaded routes the upgrade will be appreciated.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:10 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by bennos
While a nice gesture, given it will only matter on lightly booked F cabins with few medallions on board (rather rare these days) I wouldn't call it "extremely generous". It's more of a "token gesture with minimal actual cost to DL".
Yup. The fact that they're willing to include Alaska Airlines and hotel (SPG?) elites on the upgrade list is a pretty good indication of how much it costs DL to add more groups to the bottom of the upgrade list.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
A nice bone to toss to the FOs. Not many will benefit, but hey, at least it's something.
^
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
This is great. As others have mentioned, it doesn't impact higher-tier elites at all, and ultimately costs DL nothing to do, so why not?

Mrs. Lee fluctuates between FO and general member, and there have definitely been flights in the past where she's been on an award (either as my companion or on her own) where F went out with empty seats and we were tucked away in the back.

Particularly since C+ now requires an "upgrade", this helps in that regard, too.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Sure, F upgrades are rare, but C+ upgrades for Silvers happen all the time
Old Oct 11, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MarkCron
Sure, F upgrades are rare, but C+ upgrades for Silvers happen all the time
Good point, I had not thought about FO award ticket rule preventing C+ access. My guess is that this is exactly why they are rolling this out--they wanted to give upgrade access at 24 hours to C+, and it was just not worth splitting hairs to allow C+ but not F upgrdes.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:10 pm

If you need a full service agent to add you to the upgrade list, be prepared to be the one who breaks this news
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by Widgets
If you need a full service agent to add you to the upgrade list, be prepared to be the one who breaks this news
I take it that if they didn't tell you about this change, they probably also didn't tell you about the "soft rollout" for the Companion Upgrade policy change.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: AARP, DL Skymiles, Marriot Bonvoy, Moe's Rewards
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
A nice bone to toss to the FOs. Not many will benefit, but hey, at least it's something.
This FO, at least, feels special. Even though I'm fully aware that this is a token gesture more than anything.
But hey, I won two t-shirts at my local bar's monthly bingo night last night so maybe I'll get lucky!!!
Old Oct 11, 2016, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
This FO million miler is a wee bit happy, though, with likeliness of companion upgrade filling the ranks above me, not too optimistic. I'm content with luggage fee waiver and the preferred seats in the mean time.

Jiburi
Old Oct 11, 2016, 11:30 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
This is fantastic. There are definitely F cabins that either go empty or have NRSA because FO couldn't get a free upgrade on a miles ticket. I asked nicely at the gate once and got it, but it was definitely against policy.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Justin026
A thought: Why not have Silvers win x per cent of all upgrades, instead of always be shoved to the back of the e-line? It would give someone a reward for reaching Silver and it would stop all the worrying about the order of the upgrade line that we see reflected on this forum.
Are you smoking crack?
Old Oct 12, 2016, 6:40 pm

Programs: Delta SM
It could come in handy on the NYC-MCO route but I gave up caring about nickle and dime changes a while ago.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:50 am

If both the medallion member and general member on the same award ticket, are they both upgrade eligible? I recently made a reservation for two on miles, but did not see the upgrade section in trip details.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by zephyr213
If both the medallion member and general member on the same award ticket, are they both upgrade eligible? I recently made a reservation for two on miles, but did not see the upgrade section in trip details.
No - if they were both medallions then yes, but because there is a general member and there's an award ticket it makes it a non-upgradeable ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.