Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

C+ upgrade not clearing 24 hours before trip for silver medallion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2016, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.

So,
My boss is silver with Delta. She asked me to help her out because the website isn't letting her choose a C+ seat 24 hours before her trip. She tried requesting it from the website, but it kept on kicking her out. She finally called and was told she has refused the upgrade. She said that she was trying to get the seat. After being on hold for a while, the agent told her that Delta is not giving out the seat at this time, they want to try and sell them and she will need to check in with the gate agent in the morning.
Thoughts?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With C+ now being a separate fare class (for domestic and TPAC flights), you can no longer simply select an open seat at your window. The seats have to be released to the C+ upgrade inventory bucket (WU) first. The seats may not be released until at the gate in many cases (at which time, the seats will be assigned in upgrade priority order). They essentially now work the same as FC upgrades. For TATL flights where C+ is not a separate fare class, you may still select an open C+ seat at your window as they are not dependent on an upgrade bucket.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 10, 2016 at 12:54 pm
Old Oct 10, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
To add to this (LBJ's answer was correct), remember that the seat map isn't a guaranteed way to determine if a particular "cabin" (using loosely for C+). It might give a "estimated direction" (like if out of 20 seats 3 are taken there likely is capacity), but the 1 seat could easily be someone who has cleared for the upgrade/bought C+, but hasn't selected their seat for one reason or another.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by Esltroy
So,
My boss is silver with Delta. She asked me to help her out because the website isn't letting her choose a C+ seat 24 hours before her trip. She tried requesting it from the website, but it kept on kicking her out. She finally called and was told she has refused the upgrade. She said that she was trying to get the seat. After being on hold for a while, the agent told her that Delta is not giving out the seat at this time, they want to try and sell them and she will need to check in with the gate agent in the morning.
Thoughts?
They changed it a few months back and C+ is now an "upgrade" instead of just another type of preferred seat. So there are two things she needs to be aware of because of this change.

(1) She can't just select the seat T-24, even if it is open, it operates like a first class upgrade where at check in she is places on the upgrade list for those seats vs. being able to select them. But she'll only be on that list if she does (2)

(2) She needs to go in to her reservation prior to checking in and select the "REQUEST UPGRADE FOR DELTA COMFORT PLUS" option. If she does this she'll be placed on the upgrade list when she checks in. Or, if she's lucky, the upgrade might even clear prior to check in. However, she has to keep in mind that this could mean she ends up in a middle seat (since you can't note in the reservation that you don't want a middle seat upgrade). This is why you have to select this upgrade separately - because if you have a exit row aisle/window getting moved up to a C+ middle is definitely not an upgrade. But if you are stuck in a middle near the back then you are probably happy to chance it.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL PM
A good way I've found to verify inventory... try to purchase a C+ seat for your route in your window. If the seat is available for sale, you should be able to clear into it. If no seats are for sale, even if there are seats open on the seatmap, you won't clear into wu/won't be able to select one.

I have a LAS -> DTW flight next week that shows 3 open seats in C+. But I can't select one, and C+ is showing sold out if I try and purchase a ticket.

Shame too, because had I checked the box at purchase time I would have cleared into a C+ middle and would have been able to select a window now that one is open. But alas, I didn't. This is one of the many reasons I really hate these C+ changes :-/ can no longer just select the best seat when I book and change if a better one opens up. Have to play games :-/

Anyways, I haven't yet seen a case where RM is holding back WU inventory for UGs while still selling W, though I suppose it is inevitable that it will happen soon if it hasn't already...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.