Wiki Posts
Search

Question on Jumpseat use

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2016, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Question on Jumpseat use

Nothing earth shattering, but a question. I was on a LAX-SEA DL flight where a JetBlue pilot flew in the cockpit jumpseat, and a Delta Connection pilot in uniform (Compass, from his ID badge) flew in an economy seat.

I would have speculated that it would have been reverse, so I was curious if anyone knew how it's decided which pilots sit in the jumpseat versus not.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 7:42 am

I would guess that it's ultimately up to the captain on who gets to sit in the cockpit jump seat. Maybe he/she knew the Jet Blue pilot. Or they did rock, paper, scissors and the Compass pilot lost.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 8:17 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I think the economy seat is preferred from a comfort standpoint. I would assume the jumpseat is last filled so the priority order would be economy seat and then jumpseat. In this case the Compass pilot cleared first and the JetBlue pilot got what was left over.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by TTT
I think the economy seat is preferred from a comfort standpoint. I would assume the jumpseat is last filled so the priority order would be economy seat and then jumpseat. In this case the Compass pilot cleared first and the JetBlue pilot got what was left over.
From what I have seen this is 100% correct. I've seen pilots/FA's list for flights and talk to the GA about jump seat only if they wouldn't clear otherwise.

Lately it's hard enough for active employees to get on a lot of flights, nor OAL pilots/FA's jump seat is probably the only option most of the time as most people aren't qualified to sit there...me for example. And I've had multiple jobs but none in-flight so I'm SOL if jump seat is all that's left for me.

I also saw a pilot one time volunteer to take the jump seat as otherwise a no rev family would have had to split up. They were very grateful
Old Oct 10, 2016, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by TTT
Yes. When many OAL/DC pilots want to fly, usually, the highest priority get the best cabin seats and the rest use jumpseats. However, OAL flight attendants are ineligible for cabin jumpseats, so sometimes the Delta FAs kindly offer to sit in a jumpseat in order to let an OAL FA fly in the cabin if needed.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Somebody versed in the arcana of the contracts may correct me, but I believe that Delta Connection pilots (Endeavor, Shuttle America, SkyWest, et al) have lower standby priority than Delta pilots. Mainline pilots will remind you stridently: Delta Connection isn't Delta, no matter the logo on the plane.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 9:13 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Somebody versed in the arcana of the contracts may correct me, but I believe that Delta Connection pilots (Endeavor, Shuttle America, SkyWest, et al) have lower standby priority than Delta pilots. Mainline pilots will remind you stridently: Delta Connection isn't Delta, no matter the logo on the plane.
My SkyWest FA friend says that she has priority on SkyWest DL flights over Delta employees.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
This is mostly correct. However DL Connection pilots have priority over mainline employees whenever the flight is on their own company's metal. (Eg. ExpressJet pilot on an ExpressJet DL connection flight). I'm a DL connection pilot myself and my priority is S3 on my own company operated flights and S3C on DL mainline flights.

Back to OPs question: Since Compass is a DL connection carrier, the Compass pilot has non-rev privileges (S3C) on DL mainline flights. The JetBlue pilot would fall into the OAL category with S4 priority. Since S3C would clear first, the Compass pilot would receive a cabin seat over the JetBlue pilot. Since there was apparently no cabin seats left, it was Jumpseat for the JetBlue pilot.

And as someone mentioned, it's been extremely hard lately for commuting employees to get to/from work. In order to get to work this morning I had to commute into ATL 5 hours earlier than what was needed.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 1:06 pm

I forgot to mention there are a few exceptions to how priority is decided. For example, all SkyWest employees are higher than all Delta employees on SkyWest flights. However, Delta and Endeavor employees share the same priority on Endeavor flights, so they compete purely on their hire dates. But obviously, all non-DL/DC employees will always come after all DL/DC employees.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Thanks for clarifying. The only reason I thought the jumpseat would have been assigned to DL or DC pilots first was because of liability issues in the cockpit. The comfort thing I definitely get, because when I see the way it folds out, I just can't imagine it's comfortable.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott, IHG
The ALPA Guidelines

Originally Posted by SEUS777
I would guess that it's ultimately up to the captain on who gets to sit in the cockpit jump seat. Maybe he/she knew the Jet Blue pilot. Or they did rock, paper, scissors and the Compass pilot lost.
According to The ALPA Jumpseat Guide the general rule of thumb is

Certain individuals, such as government or company officials in the performance of their duties, may require higher priority to the flight deck in accordance with government regulations (i.e., FARs 121.547 and 121.583) or company policy. Seniority, first come/first served, or a reservation system may be used for company and off-line pilots. Extending preferential boarding to specific carriers will be addressed by the Jumpseat chair/coordinator, the MEC, and the company, as appropriate.
Of course, the PIC is ultimately in charge and the Jumpseater counts as an additional crew member. Some PICs may prefer to have a pilot who holds the matching type rating in the cockpit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.