Surprisingly Good Y Food BOS-AMS

Old Oct 5, 16, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Surprisingly Good Y Food BOS-AMS

Just came off a BOS-AMS flight in Y (), and I was very pleasantly surprised at the "salad with grilled chicken" entree choice. Rather than being some crappy iceberg lettuce with grilled chicken, it was a kale salad with quinoa, green apples, cashews, and grilled chicken -- super fresh and tasty.

I actually remarked to the F/A how good I thought it was (and what an anomaly I therefore thought it was for Y food).

Anyone had it recently? Does anyone know if DL specifically upped their Y transatlantic catering, or did I just luck out (or am I alone in happening to think it was particularly good)?
Old Oct 5, 16, 8:45 am

Programs: Delta - Silver
This salad?

I enjoyed it, and was impressed enough to take a picture. It was a decent Y meal on a flight from JFK-AMS this past April.

Last edited by publicmsu; Oct 5, 16 at 10:41 am
Old Oct 5, 16, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by publicmsu View Post
This salad?
Yup, that's what it looked like. Although are you sure you were on DL? They don't fly JFK-VIE.
Old Oct 5, 16, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta - Silver
Originally Posted by Cory6188 View Post
Yup, that's what it looked like. Although are you sure you were on DL? They don't fly JFK-VIE.
Correct you are, this was JFK-AMS-VIE. The 50 minute layover in AMS at 6am must not have been very memorable for me to have forgotten it so soon!
Old Oct 5, 16, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
I definitely agree this does seem to be one of the better sounding and looking meals in Y I have seen in a long while.

To add on to OP's question, does anyone know if Delta's TATL Y Catering both in BOS and in Europe (CDG/AMS) has overall improved to a similar quality?
Old Oct 5, 16, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Got the same, or at least very close to it, AMS-SEA a couple months back.
Old Oct 5, 16, 4:23 pm
formerly B7e7US
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I had a really good grilled chicken twice last month departing from ATL (in Y). It was served with a shrimp cocktail as an appetizer, a fresh salad, and the usual brownie.
Old Oct 5, 16, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Had the chicken-apple-kale salad in May JFK-SNN. It was decent, best part was having a fruit cup as well, not part of the standard hot entre setup. We'd had burgers before flight at Shake Shack since it was scheduled as a very late departure.

Feb 2015 I got this shrimp and chopped veg salad (yes, 4 very nice sized and tasty grilled shrimp. In Y!) on an MSP-AMS A330, in row 27. Which is a feat, since they usually only cater enough salads to get partway though C+ (and i recently complained about that in a post-flight survey. Salads are snapped up off the cart, so can't they cater more?). That Feb flight had maybe a total of 80 C+ and Y pax, so I ate well and had a very peaceful flight. Unsurprisingly, I've never seen shrimp in Y again.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 6, 16, 9:17 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG LT Gold
Originally Posted by RaflW View Post
Feb 2015 I got this shrimp and chopped veg salad (yes, 4 very nice sized and tasty grilled shrimp. In Y!) on an MSP-AMS A330, in row 27. Which is a feat, since they usually only cater enough salads to get partway though C+ (and i recently complained about that in a post-flight survey. Salads are snapped up off the cart, so can't they cater more?). That Feb flight had maybe a total of 80 C+ and Y pax, so I ate well and had a very peaceful flight. Unsurprisingly, I've never seen shrimp in Y again.
They still serve it. I had this shrimp dish in Y, JFK-CDG, about a month ago. It is indeed surprisingly good, and well executed.

Also on my flight they only had a few of them. I was in the second row of C+, and can't imagine that there were any left by the time the FAs got to C-.
Old Oct 6, 16, 10:02 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by RaflW View Post
Unsurprisingly, I've never seen shrimp in Y again.

It's still making the rounds. I had it less than a month ago
Old Oct 6, 16, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Aha. I'm sitting in 10A late next week ex-MSP. Maybe I'll be lucky with the shrimp!
Old Oct 6, 16, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL DM MM - IHG Spire
The various versions of the chilled salad entrees are by far the best choice in Y for TATL flights. The only problem is that there are never enough loaded on the flights - but plenty of mystery chicken entree and mystery pasta entree.

If seated in C+ seating, there is usually no problem with availability. If seated farther back (I usually sit at exit at 3R) it is possible that none will be available by the time the cart gets to you.

During boarding, I often ask the FA to save a chilled salad entree for me on the cart and most have no problem accommodating my request. Additionally, many of the crews don't even mention that it is available when the announcements are made about meal options. This saves the few available for the passengers that specifically ask for them.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: