Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Golf bag with more than clubs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2016, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Golf bag with more than clubs

Hi, first time poster, long time lurker...

Has anyone successfully checked a golf bag that doesn't have a full set of clubs in it, but other items mixed in (not clothes/shoes) without being charged the oversized fee?

I am trying to think creatively about getting a light, but long item ~ 44" long into my baggage allotment for an upcoming international flight. Would I be able to put the item inside of a golf bag that also had some clubs (but not a full set) and still have it be classified as a golf bag (and thus not oversized)?

Packed traditionally as a box, the item hits the 62ish mark and I don't want to worry about half inches being rounded up and making me hit 63" or be given wrath at the check in desk.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 2:17 pm

You shouldn't have a problem if you don't give the agent a reason to open your bag (which is very hard to do). I think your golf bag would have to be as limp as a spaghetti noodle to draw any suspicion. As long as it looks like there are probably golf clubs in the golf bag, no one cares to ask questions.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL PM
Yes, should be fine. I've packed all sorts of not skis in my ski bags before (wooden dowels, metal rods, clothes, shoes, beverages...).

The checkin agent even helped me tape two ski bags together once for my brother so they didn't have to pay two bag fees! (And they still got a free boot bag to go with it!)
Old Oct 1, 2016, 3:31 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
@:-) Wow! @:-)

I seem to hava sudden interest in taking up non-golfing and non-skiing!

Old Oct 1, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by davetravels
@:-) Wow! @:-)

I seem to hava sudden interest in taking up non-golfing and non-skiing!

Well, at least in my case, there were always skis in the bags too (and I was in fact skiing) :-)

just so happens that ski bags are great for transporting other long odd shaped items that I was carrying with me too!
Old Oct 1, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
I believe the airline has restrictions on what is in a golf bag which constitute golf clubs. However, to respond to the question- I have only see issues when it comes to the weight of the golf bag that required some weight being removed.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 4:23 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
<Technically> . . . .

You'll hafto make it a ski bag. Quoting Delta.com . . . .

Golfing Equipment

One golf bag is allowed as checked baggage. Checked baggage fees may apply based on travel region and total number of checked bags. Overweight baggage fees apply to bags that exceed 50 lbs. Oversized baggage fees will be waived for golf bags that exceed 62 linear inches, but bags exceeding 115 linear inches are not allowed.

One item of golfing equipment is defined as:
one golf bag containing one set of golf clubs
golf balls and tees; and
one pair of golf shoes.

Ski or Snowboard Equipment

Ski and snowboard equipment are allowed as checked baggage. One ski/pole bag or one snowboard bag and one boot bag is accepted per person. The combined weight of the ski/snowboard bag and the boot bag may not exceed 50 lbs. or excess weight charges will apply. Linear dimensions may exceed 80 inches (203 cm) without excess size charges.

---> So, it seems that they specify what can be contained in a golf bag, but NOT a ski bag!
Old Oct 1, 2016, 6:44 pm

Never had a problem.

I've taken my clubs on dozens of trips and never had a problem. I have packed cool weather gear, presents, even scotch coming back from Scotland. I have found that most if not all the time the bag is opened by TSA. At my local airport they always take a club out and wipe it down and the test the wipe in a machine every time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.