Wiki Posts
Search

PEK Lounge Access STE+?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
PEK Lounge Access STE+?

Delta's website and app indicate that STE+ (GM, PM, DM) should have access to the Air China Lounge at PEK. When I stopped by today, their signage did not indicate delta, and they did not let me in/sent me down the hall to the BGS Lounge by gate 5.

The BGS lounge had delta signage, but the agents indicated access was for PAX in J only (which concurs with the DL app/website). But she further said that STE+/DM/SKY Club members did not have access to any lounge at PEK.

Were they correct? No lounge access for STE+ on international itineraries at PEK?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Where you headed from PEK, and on what carrier?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by appleguru
Delta's website and app indicate that STE+ (GM, PM, DM) should have access to the Air China Lounge at PEK. When I stopped by today, their signage did not indicate delta, and they did not let me in/sent me down the hall to the BGS Lounge by gate 5.

The BGS lounge had delta signage, but the agents indicated access was for PAX in J only (which concurs with the DL app/website). But she further said that STE+/DM/SKY Club members did not have access to any lounge at PEK.

Were they correct? No lounge access for STE+ on international itineraries at PEK?
For the time being, that is correct. They're supposed to be working on a SkyTeam lounge there that will work for STE+.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Where you headed from PEK, and on what carrier?
DTW, on DL.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond
In July as a DM flying J, was invited to BGS lounge. It was literally the worst lounge I've ever seen so tried for Air Chins was denied. You weren't missing anything at BGS....
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by appleguru

People need to understand what the Skyteam website is showing when searching for lounges. It shows both 1)Skyteam partner lounges - ie those operated by Skyteam airlines/Skyteam alliance, and 2)Lounges used by Skyteam airlines for J/F class passengers and (excluding DL) for those in Y. Just because it shows up doesn't mean that as STE+ you get access. It just means that a Skyteam airline uses that lounge at least for J/F passengers. When flying DL metal in Y, you only get STE+ access to lounges that fall under number 1. When flying other Skyteam airlines in Y, they generally will give STE+ access to passengers on their flights, even if it's not Skyteam operated.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Nevermind
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
People need to understand what the Skyteam website is showing when searching for lounges. It shows both 1)Skyteam partner lounges - ie those operated by Skyteam airlines/Skyteam alliance, and 2)Lounges used by Skyteam airlines for J/F class passengers and (excluding DL) for those in Y. Just because it shows up doesn't mean that as STE+ you get access. It just means that a Skyteam airline uses that lounge at least for J/F passengers. When flying DL metal in Y, you only get STE+ access to lounges that fall under number 1. When flying other Skyteam airlines in Y, they generally will give STE+ access to passengers on their flights, even if it's not Skyteam operated.
This is why delta lets you filter the list, which seems pretty clear... but is wrong??
Name:  IMG_8734.PNG
Views: 568
Size:  119.9 KB
Name:  IMG_8735.PNG
Views: 563
Size:  100.1 KB
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thecortex
In July as a DM flying J, was invited to BGS lounge. It was literally the worst lounge I've ever seen so tried for Air Chins was denied. You weren't missing anything at BGS....
Oh, I know. After I showed he BGS staff the app, they called their delta rep and made "one time exception" and let me in. I walked around to check it out, left two minutes later to go find some real food.

(Actually, really not much worse than most China eastern / china southern lounges... they had soft drinks, water, coffee, booze, some hot food including dumplings, congee, noodles...)
Old Oct 3, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
Ironic to see this. Two weeks ago was first time I flew Domestic (Shenzhen)-Beijing-Detroit , (Shenzhen-Beijing Delta codeshare on CZ.) ......... I have flown many direct DL flights out of Pudong and Hong Kong, or Guangzhou to ICN or NRT...... this was my first time domestic to international.

Got to Beijing, went through terrible security (a real cluster) just to get to the Delta checkin counters, waited 30 minutes for them to open, then when I checked in, they asked me "where is your checked bag?"

Huh?? Domestic to International???

They wanted me to go back out through security to domestic baggage claim. Acted like I was an idiot.

Of course CZ in Shenzhen did not tell me this.

During the 30 minutes we waited for checkin to open, not a single announcement about this. No signage reminding us "In Beijing, you must claim your domestic luggage and bring here yourself to check in again".

Made a big stink, they agreed to get CZ to hand carry my bags to them so I would not have to go back out landslide.

Then I asked where is the lounge? (I am Platinum, flying economy).

No lounge. Huh?? Most expensive economy ticket I have ever bought China-USA, and no lounge access?

Made a really big stink again, and finally the DL manager agreed to call to the lounge by Gate 5 to let me and my wife in.

Not a very good lounge at all, kind of OK by Chinese standards, but who wants to fly through Beijing instead of PVG when one of the perks of Plat or Diamond is access to lounges on international itineraries even when in economy?
Old Oct 3, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by mcjava
Ironic to see this. Two weeks ago was first time I flew Domestic (Shenzhen)-Beijing-Detroit , (Shenzhen-Beijing Delta codeshare on CZ.) ......... I have flown many direct DL flights out of Pudong and Hong Kong, or Guangzhou to ICN or NRT...... this was my first time domestic to international.

Got to Beijing, went through terrible security (a real cluster) just to get to the Delta checkin counters, waited 30 minutes for them to open, then when I checked in, they asked me "where is your checked bag?"

They wanted me to go back out through security to domestic baggage claim. Acted like I was an idiot.

During the 30 minutes we waited for checkin to open, not a single announcement about this. No signage reminding us "In Beijing, you must claim your domestic luggage and bring here yourself to check in again".

Made a big stink, they agreed to get CZ to hand carry my bags to them so I would not have to go back out landslide.

No lounge. Huh?? Most expensive economy ticket I have ever bought China-USA, and no lounge access?

Made a really big stink again, and finally the DL manager agreed to call to the lounge by Gate 5 to let me and my wife in.

Not a very good lounge at all, kind of OK by Chinese standards, but who wants to fly through Beijing instead of PVG when one of the perks of Plat or Diamond is access to lounges on international itineraries even when in economy?
Skyteam really is the "leftover airlines alliance." It's always amazing how third-rate Skyteam operations are, especially outside the USA.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mcjava

This isn't an airport issue, this is DLs fault. They don't give STE+ access to third party lounges for those in Y. Blame DL for being too cheap, not PEK airport.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I am doing RT J to PEK in two weeks so when I leave (Pek-SEA, etc) should I go with a PP lounge rather than where DL will send me?
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:24 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by flyerCO
This isn't an airport issue, this is DLs fault. They don't give STE+ access to third party lounges for those in Y. Blame DL for being too cheap, not PEK airport.
This. It's pretty ridiculous and sad that they are the only skyteam members to do this to their STE+ members.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Xeno
I am doing RT J to PEK in two weeks so when I leave (Pek-SEA, etc) should I go with a PP lounge rather than where DL will send me?
IIRC, BGS is the only PP option in T2 international. My SOP is to time my airport arrival so as to make lounge access a non-issue unless there is a delay. I used to target T-70 minutes, but I've upped this to T-90 minutes ever since there was full blown security just to enter the terminal (not all PRC airports do this drill yet by the way, and procedures vary dramatically between airports). DL's checkin cutoff is T-60, and they usually (but, not always) tend to be somewhat flexible on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.